- 24 ounce package San Gennaro precooked polenta
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 orange or yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 2-15 ounce cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 ounce can chopped green chilies
- 15 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- dash or 2 Tabasco sauce
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Mango Salsa
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Slice polenta 1/2 inch thick. Place on a nonstick baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, place the broth, onion, bell peppers and garlic in a large saucepan. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Add remaining ingredients, except cilantro, and cook an additional 10 minutes. Stir in cilantro and remove from heat.
Serve over the polenta and top with Mango salsa (recipe can be found in Dips & Spreads).
Hint: There are many kinds and flavors of precooked polenta on the market. They will all work in this recipe. Check ingredients carefully before buying these products. These products work well as a base for many bean and vegetable dishes. The sliced polenta may also be cooked on a non-stick griddle until browned on both sides. If you prefer to cook your polenta from scratch, there are a variety of products to choose from, and most only take a few minutes of cooking time. A good test for the proper thickness of the polenta is to cook it until the mixing spoon stands up in the pan.