- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups red potato, chopped
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 15 ounce can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 1 tbsp cornstarch mixed with 2 tbsp cold water (optional)
Place the onion and green pepper in a larger pot with the 1/3 cup water. Cook and stir until softens slightly. Add the seasonings and stir to mix. Add the potato and the 2 1/2 cups water. Cover and cook over low heat until the potato is tender, about 25 minutes. Add the beans and peas. Cook for an additional 10 minutes.
If desired, stir in the cornstarch mixture and cook stirring until thickened. Serve as is or over whole grains.
Variation: Add 1 cup chopped green apple during the final 10 minutes of cooking.