Prep: 20 minutes
By Eric Tucker
This chilled soup is bright in flavor and refreshing. An under-ripe green tomato or tomatillo adds pungency, while ripe green zebra or an Aunt Ruby's German Green will add sweetness.
- 4 scallions, rough chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 medium English cucumber, seeded, rough chopped
- 1 green zucchini, rough chopped
- 1 cup rough chopped green tomato, or tomatillo
- 1/2 bunch parsley, rough chopped
- 2 tsp fresh oregano
- 1 cup packed spinach, kale, or chard
- fresh basil, cilantro, tarragon, herbs of choice
- 2 tsp white miso
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 2 cups water
- salt and pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until fairly smooth. Do not over blend or you will heat up the mix and cook the chlorophyll, turning the soup brown. Chill the soup before serving. Serve each portion with 2 -3 tablespoons of Gazpacho Verde Salsa (recipe in Dips & Spreads).
Mary's Note: I have heard from several people who say this is now a staple on their summer menu. This is great for using fresh garden tomatoes, zucchini and cucumber.