Chinese Hot Salad
Prep: 20 minutes Cook: 10 minutes
I used to make this often when we lived in Hawaii. Every time we eat it now, it reminds me of the islands.
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger root, grated
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 stalks celery, thickly sliced
- 1 green pepper, cut into strips
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 1 cup Chinese pea pods
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled and cut into strips
- 6 lettuce leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
In a wok or large pan, saute onion, ginger, and garlic in 2 tablespoons water for 1 minute. Add 1 tablespoon soy sauce, and the celery, green peppers, pea pods, and bean sprouts. Cook and stir over medium-high heat for 6 minutes. Add the remaining soy sauce, the cucumber, and the lettuce. Continue to cook 3 minutes longer. Sprinkle with lemon juice. Mix well. Serve hot.