Prep: 10 minutes Cook: 60 minutes
Serves:Makes 8 cups
- 8 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp soy sauce (optional)
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 inch piece fresh ginger, cut in half
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 pods star anise
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 4 cilantro stems (leaves reserved for soup)
- 3 basil stems (leaves reserved for soup)
Place all ingredients into a large soup pot. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 60 minutes. Strain broth and discard solids. Broth may be refrigerated at this point for later use. Or return to pan and continue with recipe.
Hints: This broth is also delicious for other Vietnamese or Asian style soups, rather than just plain vegetable broth. Try adding some frozen carrots and peas to the broth along with some chopped green onions. Bring to a boil, add some vegetable pot stickers and simmer until pot stickers are tender, about 4 to 5 minutes.