Hail to the Kale Salad
Prep: 15 minutes
By Chef AJ
Chef AJ was one of our instructors during the McDougall Celebrity Chef weekend in June 2009. This was a favorite salad during the weekend and I still get requests for it. Even people who say they don't like kale will gobble this up.
- 2 large heads curly kale
- sesame seeds or chopped almonds (optional)
- 1 cup peanut butter or raw almond butter (unsweetened & unsalted)
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (about 2) and their zest
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 inch fresh, peeled ginger
- 2 tbsp low sodium tamari
- 4 pitted dates (soaked in water if not soft)
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
Combine all ingredients for the dressing in a high powered blender and process until smooth and creamy. Remove the thick, larger stems from the kale, chop finely and place in a large bowl. Pour about 1 1/2 to 2 cups of the dressing over the kale and toss to mix well. (If you need more dressing, feel free to add it, otherwise save the rest for later use.) Sprinkle with sesame seeds or chopped almonds before serving, if desired. This dressing also makes a delicious dip for fresh veggies, but you need to cut way back on the water and add some cilantro. This dressing is higher in fat because of the nut butter.