Layered Bean Casserole
Prep: 20 minutes Cook: 45 minutes
This recipe was originally posted on the McDougall Discussion Board several years ago. I have modified it slightly for taste and convenience. I really like recipes that can be prepared ahead and then popped into the oven just before dinner.
- Bottom layer:
- 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 ounce can red or pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 ounce can chili beans in oil-free sauce, undrained
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed slightly
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 2 tsp chili powder
- Middle layer:
- 15 ounce white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup fresh salsa
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp granulated onion
- 1 tsp prepared yellow mustard
- Top layer:
- 20 ounce bag 20 ounce bag fresh shredded oil-free hash brown potatoes
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Bottom layer: Mix all above ingredients together and ladle into the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch baking dish, distributing evenly.
Middle layer: Place all above ingredients in a food processor and process until very smooth. Pour over the bean layer and spread evenly.
Top layer: Sprinkle the potatoes evenly over the bottom two layers. Bake uncovered for 45 minutes until potatoes are brown and sauce is bubbly.
Hints: Serve with hot sauce to drizzle over the top for more heat, or serve with tofu sour cream to mellow it out a bit.