Prep: 45 minutes (need cooked rice and beans) Cook: 1 hour
By Mary McDougall
This was a favorite during the McDougall Adventure trip to Hawaii in January of 2014. The recipe is from the New McDougall Cookbook and the chef at the Mauna Lani Resort served it with barbeque sauce. We all went back for seconds!!
- 3 cups carrot, grated
- 2 cups brown rice, cooked
- 2 cups mashed cooked garbanzo beans
- 1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp soy sauce (optional)
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 teaspoons Egg Replacer, well beaten with 8 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large bowl, mix the carrot, rice, garbanzo beans, bread crumbs, and tahini.
In a saucepan, saute the onion, celery, parsley and soy sauce in the 1/4 cup of vegetable broth for 5 minutes.
In a blender, puree the garlic cloves with the Egg Replacer/water mixture.
Add all of the ingredients, including the non-dairy milk, to the carrot mixture and mix well.
Press the mixture into a nonstick loaf pan and bake, uncovered, for 1 hour, or until it is firm to the touch. Remove the loaf from the pan by loosening with a spatula and then inverting over a plate to allow the loaf to drop out of the pan.
Serve with sauce or gravy of your choice.