Prep: 20 minutes Chill: 2-4 hours
This is delicious in a bowl as a refreshing summer meal, or serve this on top of a plate of assorted greens, rolled up in a tortilla, atop a mound of cooked grains or as a topping for baked potatoes.
- 2-15 ounce cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup baby corn, cut in half
- 1 cup roasted red peppers, chopped
- 14 ounce can water packed hearts of palm, drained and sliced
- 15 ounce can water packed artichoke hearts, drained and halved
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup fresh salsa
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped (optional)
Place all the ingredients except the salsa in a large bowl and mix well. Process the salsa in a blender jar until fairly smooth and pour over the vegetable mixture. Toss to mix. Cover and refrigerate for 2-4 hours to allow flavors to blend. Make this salad ahead of time to allow the flavors to become bolder.
Hint: Blending the salsa makes for a smoother Mexican-style dressing for this salad. If you would like your dressing a bit chunkier, just add to the vegetables without blending. The jalapeno does give this salad some heat, so feel free to omit it, if desired. For those of you who don't like cilantro, just leave it out or substitute parsley instead. This will keep in the refrigerator for several days.