Prep: 25 minutes Cook: 20 minutes
This recipe requires some hands-on time because the vegetables need to be added at different times to keep them at just the right tenderness.
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ginger, grated
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup cut green beans
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 14.5 ounce can tomatoes, chopped
- 14.5 ounce can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup V-8 juice
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 cups packed fresh baby spinach leaves
- 2 tbsp cornstarch mixed with 1/4 cup cold water
- dash sea salt
- freshly ground pepper to taste
Place the water in a large pot with the onion, garlic and ginger. Cook and stir for 1 minute, then add the bell pepper, mushrooms and green beans. Cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes. Add the curry powder and mix in well. Add the tomatoes, garbanzo beans and V-8 juice. Bring to a boil, stir in the cauliflower and cook for 10 minutes. Add the spinach, mix in well, then stir in the cornstarch mixture. Cook and stir until thickened. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Serve over brown rice or other whole grains or try as a topping for baked potatoes.
Hint: The V-8 juice gives a nice depth of flavor to this recipe, but regular tomato juice or vegetable broth may be used instead, if desired.