Prep: 15-30 minutes Cook: 15 minutes
By Heather and Mary McDougall
My kids love this because they can add what they like and make it how they like it. The tofu is optional and your choices of grains, beans and vegetables will make each dish yours. What we have listed are just suggestions, feel free to use your imagination.
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked bulgur wheat
- 3 cups water
- 6-8 cups assorted chopped vegetables - corn, kale, broccoli and carrots
- 1-2 cups sautéed tofu cubes or cubed, steamed potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups cooked garbanzo beans
- Additional Fresh Toppings: chopped cucumber, tomatoes, scallions
- sauce of your choice (see hints below)
In a medium pot, bring water to a boil, add bulgur, cover, remove from heat and let sit for 20 minutes. Fluff with a fork when done.
Steam the vegetables just until tender. Remove from heat and place in a bowl.
To serve, place a scoop or two of the bulgur in a medium bowl (or on a plate). Layer some of the vegetables over the grains, followed by the tofu or potatoes (and beans, if you wish). Top it all off with fresh vegetables and a sauce of your choice.
Hints: Chop the vegetables into similar sized pieces so they steam in about the same length of time. I like Tahini Sauce (recipe in Sauces) on this bowl, or use your favorite oil-free salad dressing, salsa or hummus.