Summer Corn Soup
Prep: 15 minutes Cook: 15 minutes
- 4 cups fresh corn kernels (see hint below)
- 2 cups non-dairy milk
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green, yellow or orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- several twists freshly ground white pepper
- 1/4 cup slivered fresh basil leaves
- dash sea salt, optional
Place 2 cups of the corn in a blender jar with the non-dairy milk of your choice and process until smooth. Set aside.
Place about 1/4 cup of the broth in a large soup pot. Add the onion, bell pepper, and zucchini. Cook, stirring frequently until vegetable are fairly tender, about 5 minutes. Add the remaining broth, the remaining 2 cups of corn kernels and the tomatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the blended corn/milk to the pot along with the pepper. Heat through, but do not boil. Stir in the fresh basil and sea salt. Serve at once.
Hint: Frozen, thawed corn kernels may be substituted for the fresh corn, if desired, although the fresh corn gives the soup a more vibrant flavor.