Soba Miso Soup
Prep: 10 minutes Cook: 5 minutes Resting time: 5 minutes
This delicious version of Miso soup is a bit heartier with the addition of buckwheat soba noodles.
- 6 cups water
- 1/3 cup white miso
- 1 tbsp soy sauce (optional)
- 1 package firm silken tofu
- 12 ounces cooked buckwheat soba noodles (see hints below)
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
Place the water in a large pot and bring to a boil. Remove about 3/4 cup of the water and place in a bowl with the miso. Whisk until very smooth. Return to the pot and add the remaining ingredients. Heat through for about 1-2 minutes, then turn off the heat, cover and let rest for about 5 minutes.
Hint: Cooked buckwheat soba noodles are available in some areas of the country which saves a bit in preparation time. If you cannot find pre-cooked soba noodles, use about 4 ounces of dried soba noodles and cook according to package directions before using in this recipe.