Three Bean Chili
Prep: 20 minutes Cook: 45 minutes
By Colleen Patrick-Goudreau
This is always a favorite in her classes. This is a delicious, colorful dish that doesn't take much time to prepare and can be served in a variety of ways (see hints below).
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 15 ounce can chopped tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels, drained and rinsed
- 15 ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
Place the water in a large pot and add the onion, bell peppers and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally until vegetables soften slightly, about 5 minutes. Add the seasonings and mix in well. Add remaining ingredients, stir well to mix, bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook for about 40 minutes.
Hint: Serve over brown rice, rolled up in a burrito shell, or in a shallow bowl with cornbread on the side. Serve with tofu sour cream if desired. Sprinkle with some chopped fresh cilantro or parsley. If the chili gets too thick while cooking, add a bit of water to the pot to thin it out before serving. Choose whatever color of bell peppers that you prefer, the more color variety, the prettier the dish. The same is true for the beans, choose whichever color you prefer.