Vegetable Udon Soup
Prep: 30 minutes Cook: 15 minutes
By Marla Erickson
- 1/2 ounce dried shiitake mushrooms
- 2 cups boiling water
- 6 1/4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp soy sauce (optional)
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp ginger, minced
- 2 cups button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 bunch green onions, cut in 1 inch pieces
- 2 cups bok choy, sliced thinly
- 1 cup snow peas, trimmed
- 1 small daikon
- 1/2 red bell pepper, julienned
- 12 ounce package firm tofu, cubed
- 10 ounce package dry udon noodles
In a small bowl, pour boiling water over dried mushrooms and let soak for 15 minutes. Drain and chop, reserving liquid.
Place the garlic and ginger in a nonstick pot and saute, using a little water, until garlic is golden. Add mushroom soaking liquid, broth, and soy sauce. Bring to a boil. Add chopped shiitake and sliced button mushrooms, scallions, bok choy, snow peas, daikon, and red pepper. Cook for 5 minutes. Add tofu and cook for another 3 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook udon noodles according to package directions. Drain.
Into each individual serving bowl, place a portion of cooked noodles and ladle broth over the top
Note: Keep leftover noodles and broth in separate containers and mix together just before reheating to avoid noodles soaking up all the broth.