Costa Rican Mango-Avocado Salad
Prep: 15 minutes Rest: 1 hour
The mangos and avocados are amazing in Costa Rica and this is one variation of some of the salads that were available most days during our July 2010 trip. The avocado makes it rich, but it gives a bit of creaminess to the salad.
- 1 large mango, peeled, pitted, and chopped
- 1 large avocado, peeled, pitted, and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup cucumber, diced
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp agave nectar
- dash salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
Place all the ingredients in a large covered bowl. Toss until well mixed. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving, tossing several times during that hour to make sure flavors are well combined.
Hint: If you can find some fresh pea shoots, they are delicious tossed on top of this salad before serving.