Prep: 10 minutes Cook: 10 minutes
- 1 pound firm water-packed tofu
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tbsp canned green chilies, diced
- 2 tsp soy sauce (optional)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- mild salsa (optional)
- corn or wheat tortillas
Drain the tofu well, mash and set aside. Place the water in a non-stick frying pan and add the green onions and red bell pepper. Cook stirring frequently for 3 minutes. Add the mashed tofu, green chilies, soy sauce, turmeric and red pepper flakes. Continue to cook and stir for another 5 minutes. Stir in the cilantro. Spoon some of this mixture down the center of a tortilla, add salsa if desired, roll up and eat.
Hint: This may also be made with firm silken tofu, but the consistency will be much softer. A handful of baby spinach leaves could be added just before the end of the cooking time as a delicious variation. I also like to add some cooked chopped potatoes whenever there are some extra in the refrigerator. I add these at the same time that I add the tofu.