Tuscan Roasted Tomato Chickpea Soup
Prep: 10 minutes Cook: 30 minutes
By Veronica Patenaude
This is one of my absolute favorite soups inspired by the flavors of Tuscany in Italy. It's so rustic and flavorful, even those already not in love with chickpeas will declare their love for this soup!
- 7 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 large onion, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 tsp dried rosemary OR 3/4 tablespoon fresh
- 3/4 tsp dried thyme OR 3/4 tablespoon fresh
- 28 ounce can fire roasted diced or crushed tomatoes
- 3-15 ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Herbamare or sea salt to taste
Saute onions, garlic, rosemary and thyme in 1 cup of the broth over medium heat for 5-6 minutes. Add more broth if necessary to keep from burning. Add tomatoes, chickpeas and remaining broth. Take out 4-5 cups of the soup mixture and blend in a Vitamix or food processor until just barely chunky. Add blended soup back to pot, add balsamic vinegar and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes until chickpeas are tender. Season to taste with pepper and Herbamare or salt.
Hint: Herbamare is a seasoning mixture that contains sea salt and various herbs. It can be found at most natural food stores or ordered on Amazon. If you don't have it, use sea salt to taste, or a seasoning mixture without salt, if you prefer.