Soba Noodle Salad
Prep: 20 minutes Cook: 10 minutes Chill: 1 hour
A very refreshing summer salad that I used to prepare year-round in Hawaii. Leftovers will keep for only one day without getting too soggy, so plan accordingly.
- 8 ounces buckwheat soba noodles
- 1 cup (dried) shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cucumber, julienne sliced
- 1 small head lettuce, coarsely grated
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tbsp shredded fresh ginger root
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
Cook soba noodles in 8 cups boiling water for 10 minutes. Drain, rinse, and chill. Place dried mushrooms in bowl, pour 1 cup boiling water over them, let soak for 15 minutes. Squeeze to remove excess water. Cut off tough stems and discard. Slice mushrooms into 1/4 inch strips. Set aside. Prepare remainder of vegetables as directed. Combine all ingredients. Toss to mix well. Refrigerate until serving time. Serve cold.
HINTS: Fresh shiitakes may also be used in this recipe. Use about 1 cup sliced.