On the Road to Better Health

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Today

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:52 pm

Hey Rosey, Awesome that you love that song too!! :-D I make my husband cringe by singing it...

------------------------

Not doing my regular weekly post today. I am rattled. Got into a 4 car accident this morning - where I was just minding my own beeswax stopped at a red light. So, one of the drivers (the one that caused it all) was hit and run. Met 2 other super nice ladies who were concerned on everyone's well-being and knew that you don't flee scene of accident. Spent quite a bit of time with police reports, etc. Came home and non-compliantly sipped a beer to soothe my nerves (maybe I am a wimp?)... Good news is that nobody was hurt. We just had a horrific local crash (that I had just seen on news today :cry: while waiting for an appointment) where a 16 year old girl was killed and her 14 year old sister is in serious condition. The a$$hole that hit them was going 106 mph in like a 45 mph zone -- while fleeing from causing another accident. :cry:

Anyway, will post on July results / August goals later this weekend or early next week.
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Re: On the Road to Better Health

Postby Idgie » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:06 pm

I don't think it's wimpy to comfort yourself after trauma. I think it's self-care, and I approve. Not that you need my approval. :grin:
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby Rosey » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:11 am

I think I would of probably did something similar. Glad your ok.

My husband says I don't drive him nuts singing it but I think I do.
Rosey

Postby VegSeekingFit » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:10 pm

Thank you, Idgie and Rosey for your support!! :-D Rosey, your husband sounds like a wise man!! :)

---------------------------

Have found out today that State Farm is still ascertaining "liability" for this accident -- basically, looking for the hit and run driver -- so , who knows when damage will be paid for -- unless I put on own insurance policy.... Gave recorded statement and such. Just, a hassle that we all don't need.

Made me think a bit about what I initially posted when I started this journal -- trying to make changes and not let life overwhelm. Was prepared for being super stressed at work and depressed at my mother's situation in the nursing home. But, life happens. Have had minor and major stressors this year and have TRIED to hold firmly to eating potatoes.

From a "major" perspective, had our house robbed about one month before I started posting here. That rocked my world -- in that I didn't feel safe in my house and was mad as hell at having been violated. The felon who did this tossed my underwear drawer and my son's old "Little Tykes" piggy bank. Stolen items were mainly sentimental items - from my deceased father and mother-in-law. I was full on berserk for a couple of weeks. I have since gotten alarms, etc. and come to grips (although alarm ticks me off at times...) I did find out that # of people whose houses have been robbed is bigger than you would imagine. I talked to people and already knew several folks that had been victimized. I also have my own baggage here - where I have been victim of crime before and also juror in a horrific trial. Anyway, stayed on plan with food. Fell off on exercise.

Other major thing is my husband losing his job / outsourcing coming up. In this case, I have tried to only be supportive. I am worried too, but what will be will be. The thing that worries me most is that my son is a senior and college is upcoming. We will work it out and make due, but I always intended to fully support my son -- and now may have more limitations. It is stressful to me to "be the strong one" ... But, it is what is needed now.

So, from a goals perspective - I met my July goals of: eating, 4.5 hrs. / week walking, weigh in each week. I did not meet (ignored) my resistance training goal.

For August, I am going to keep the 3 goals that I met. I am also going to work toward developing and implementing a strength training goal I am not putting that on my list until I do have a better sense of how to add that to my daily activity.

I bought a cute 2-qt. slow cooker -- since I love them!! :-D Will be good to cook beans and oatmeal. Also, saw Jeff N's post on dehydrated soup today and reviewed Harmony House offerings. Ironically, they have soup "packets" that fit in these small slow cookers - so anxious to try them. I ordered some packets.

My friend told me last week that I needed to buy new pants -- "saggy baggy butt". So, that was true and I have bought some pants - jeans and walking pants. Have "good" clothes that fit in my current size (which I don't have to wear often). Down to nothing in jeans / capris / shorts -- so, now am clothed... :cool:

Made Minestrone Soup based on Susan Voisin's slow cooker recipe. Added extra tomatoes, didn't have zucchini, used garbanzo beans & kidney beans with 2 c. of brown rice. Also added 3 extra c. water. Will make this again - it was delicious!!

Moment of Zen:
Friends came over on Friday with their 5 year old. Didn't remember how much I miss little kids!! Did the hula hoop, the lemon twist, tag, chalk, Mr. Potato Head. Fun!!!

VegSeekingFit

Postby moonlight » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:25 pm

Hi Stephanie,
I'm sorry you've had those stressful things happen in your life. Being robbed really sucks. It does feel like such violation. You do a great job of staying upbeat, looking for the positive. Being in control of our diets help in times of stress, I think. Hopefully your husband will find another job that turns out better than the one before.
moonlight

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:32 am

Oy, I don't know how I missed these updates from the beginning of August!

But what a trauma, a car accident! :eek: I hope everything comes out good from that, but meanwhile I must say, your positivity is SO inspiring. Truly, having the right song to sing :nod: I've done it myself, pulling out of the doldrums by singing (and swinging...did you swing and sing Raindrops? :lol:)

I hope the insurance companies figure out the car wreck thing. As for having a beer...I had a beer last night after a long boring day at work. Don't know what I would do after a car wreck. and I love it that you got to spend some time with a little kid! sounds like a terrific time, and I'm jellin. Want my little feller (Grandson, a year and some old)...maybe I'll go down and tell his parents "Get out! I'll babysit!" :lol:

Your upbeat energy is inspiring!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby VegSeekingFit » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:42 pm

moonlight wrote:Hi Stephanie,
I'm sorry you've had those stressful things happen in your life. Being robbed really sucks. It does feel like such violation. You do a great job of staying upbeat, looking for the positive. Being in control of our diets help in times of stress, I think. Hopefully your husband will find another job that turns out better than the one before.

Thank you for this post, Moonlight! You made me smile... :-D

I was robbed once before about 4 years ago - but it was not in my house - in a nice resort hotel in my room (I was on balcony). So, was scarier as a face to face confrontation (in the moment)… The house thing stayed with me longer - as I didn't feel "safe" anymore and couldn't decide if I needed to be home to defend my house -- or out, to not be scared of what may come... The hotel thing turned out well as electronic trail and then further investigation found a ring that stole small amounts and then pawned them. I was deposed and had a ticket / reservation to fly out for trial, but the individual took a plea in the end.

I agree that being in control of our diets helps!! In the best of times, have felt better eating clean!! That is in spades for the worst of times... One of the reasons I spewed original post was to remind my future self that in times of stress, I was able to keep on... :)

I am confident that my better half will find a better job. He didn't love this one. Just easier to leave on own terms than told to go...

Thank you for your thoughts!! (and I needed to smile!! ) :-D

VegSeekingFit

Postby VegSeekingFit » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:48 pm

[quote="bunsofaluminum"]Oy, I don't know how I missed these updates from the beginning of August!

But what a trauma, a car accident! :eek: I hope everything comes out good from that, but meanwhile I must say, your positivity is SO inspiring. Truly, having the right song to sing :nod: I've done it myself, pulling out of the doldrums by singing (and swinging...did you swing and sing Raindrops? :lol:)

I hope the insurance companies figure out the car wreck thing. As for having a beer...I had a beer last night after a long boring day at work. Don't know what I would do after a car wreck. and I love it that you got to spend some time with a little kid! sounds like a terrific time, and I'm jellin. Want my little feller (Grandson, a year and some old)...maybe I'll go down and tell his parents "Get out! I'll babysit!" :lol:

Your upbeat energy is inspiring![/quote]

Hi Buns!! :)

Thank you for your post!!! You have also made me smile... :)

The accident will be fine. Have filed under own insurance - after State Farm investigation absolved them of responsibilty - pending location of #4 - hit and run driver. But, they have assured me that they won't raise my rates... hmmm... 25 years of paying premium with no accident. We'll see.

Glad to know that I am not the only beer drinker... :lol:

I love that you love Raindrops and your story of swinging and singing sounded so fun!!! So, I have done the swinging - I pass 2 parks on my walk.... But, I have not been bold enough to do both together. I am afraid that I am scary enough as a 50 year old woman swinging. :eek: Maybe one day...

You are lucky to have a grandson of that age!!! So much fun!!! Yes -- take him (for the night)!!!

Cheers,
Stephanie

VegSeekingFit

Re: Food & Movement

Postby VegSeekingFit » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:39 pm

Hi,

This week's food has been great! :) I have been off work - so have been able to spend more time on meal prep. Also, loving the summer fruits! Have had cantaloupe, strawberries, pineapple (bless my son's heart for buying and cutting one!), blueberries, cherries, apricots... So yummy! Also, have had a potato waffle each day. Usually with black beans smashed and red onions / hot peppers. Dinner has been roasted veggies with rice / potato / corn or some such combination. Also, have been finishing off a HUGE crock pot of veggie stew (heavy potato).

Got my order of dehydrated soup / chili / stew mixes from Harmony Foods (thanks, Jeff N.!) today (the day after I got my cute 2 qt. crock pot). Making bean chili tomorrow for breakfast - went through the choices with my son and he picked this one. I added chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper as spices. Also, have hot peppers from the container garden that I cut up and will add garlic. If this is good -- it would be the ultimate convenience food !!! I love using combos of frozen, roasted, fresh / raw veggies in my rice conconctions. Would be super appreciative of this convenience that would make a small amount, but I could plan beforehand. I stink at managing freezer inventory of random batch-cooked stuff and would love to easily do a few servings at a time to switch it up a bit. Experiment in progress. High hopes!!! :-D

Today, had a treat that is within regular McD plan, but not compliant for MWL. Took my son to his favorite breakfast place (lunch for me) and had a WONDERFUL, SCRUMPTIOUS piece of whole grain toast. There was homemade strawberry jelly and this humungous dry, gritty toast. First time that I have had bread all year and I made it last for like 10 minutes (seriously). Also had the fruit cup (good too, but not as good as my own fruit...). Anyway, I'm not going to go batshit for bread, but will keep in mind for another treat (maybe) next month.

For exercise, have been consistent with building a base of cardio fitness. Have increased length of my daily AM walk and look forward to it (the weather is good!). However, have not been good about doing intervals (speed) or hills (strength). So, my average pace is getting a bit better and I am enjoying the walks -- but, not likely to make my goal for the Half M that I signed up for in October. In fact, I will continue as I have been going with my walks until weather forces me inside and the treadmill provides a great opportunity to control intervals and hills. So, thinking on whether to change my registration to the 10k or to just NOT make the 3.25 hr. cut-off. Not sure yet. They do seem to not DNF people for going over - based on last year's race results.

Checked out Walk Your Butt Off! from the library. Was happy to see a walking book - used to love running books, but I can't go that route now. There were some good tips about form and workouts (not so good tips on diet). I implemented 3 of the walking tips - and my last 2 walks have been almost 30 sec / mile faster than prior (still too slow for the HM). Good posture - look at least 20 ft ahead, short strides heel strike with strong toe push, pump arms. The best part of the book was on the stories of the 22 participants - and their results from following the program. Results included impressive reductions in pace. :)

Have started plan for resistance training. Don't feel comfortable doing in "public" yet. I am not so good in this space. So, will be doing at home to start. To make it repeatable, going to do after my walks. This can be outside as focus will be on body weight functional exercises. Will be doing 2-4 exercises per day of things like: squat, plank, lunge, push-up, dip --- the initial goal will be to establish a habit and work on good form over # reps. Will do circuit and then repeat. We'll see how it goes. I need to write down more details.

Quote of the day (inspired by Amy's recent MWL group post / comment on Corey Hart... ):

"Just a little more time is all we're asking for
Cause just a little more time could open closing doors
Just a little uncertainty can bring you down...

And nobody wants to know you now
And nobody wants to show you how...

So if you're lost and on your own
You can never surrender
And if your path won't lead you home
You can never surrender
And when the night is cold and dark
You can see, you can see light
Cause no one can take away your right
To fight and never surrender

With a little perseverance you can get things done
Without the blind adherence that has conquered some" - Corey Hart

VegSeekingFit

Today

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:01 pm

Have lost 1.4 lbs. this week - down to 114.8 - which makes an even 38 lbs. lost this year.

Had beautiful weather for walk this morning. Then, did 1 set of standing calf raises and 1 set of squats to start making some progress toward resistance training. Baby steps. I'll probably do push ups and dips tomorrow.

Tried the bean chili this morning - was a bit more soupy than expected. Also, I have to learn how much spice to use in the smaller cooker. Would add tomatoes next time and more of all spices. It wasn't bad, just bland. Had it over rice. Will be trying another one of these dehydrated packets this week.

Lunch was a nectarine, raw veggies, smashed black beans with red onions, potato waffle.

Dinner will either be rice and some veggies with roasted portabella or same thing, but potato fries instead of the rice.

Cheers,
Stephanie

VegSeekingFit

Slow Cooker Porridge

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:09 pm

Hi,

I tried a new recipe in my new cute 2 qt. slow cooker... Will call it Cinnamon Apple Oatmeal Porridge. Based on a recipe from SkinnyMs (not vegan / vegetarian site - but some good exercise tips and such).

1/2 c. old fashioned oatmeal
2 c. water
1 cinnamon stick
1 t. vanilla
Sprinkle of cinnamon
2 small chopped apples
1 small container applesauce (made of apples only)

Throw it all in the slow cooker and cook overnight on low.

Yum!! Turned into porridge because I overslept today.

So excited about trying new stuff in this small cooker. Makes a few servings - so enough to share if someone wants some of what I made -- but doesn't make a ton of extras (especially good if I don't love it)...

Cheers,
Stephanie

VegSeekingFit

Soup Threads

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:02 pm

Hi,

Love soup! Have since before I ever changed my way of eating - used to eat it for breakfast - and still do.

So, want to add these 2 incredible threads by Jeff N. - so that I can find them later. If you missed them, check it out!!

Soup vs. salad!! :)

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=58433

Dehydrated soup - has inspired me to try some recipes... :-D

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=58399

VegSeekingFit

New Crockpot Success & Misc.

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:07 pm

HI,

So, have been trying different stuff in my cute 2 qt. crock pot. Goal - to find stuff I like that is easy to cook and doesn't have to be in a huge batch - to add variety.

Today, tried Harmony House Split Pea Soup packet. OMG - YUM! So, I learned from last experiment to be more liberal with the seasonings (I like spicy).

Here is the recipe:

1 c. Harmony House dehydrated Split Pea Soup pack
4 c. Fat Free NSA Veg Broth (yes - found a fat free!!! )
Minced garlic
Smoked paprika (think this was key spice)
Cayenne pepper
Onion powder

Cook on low in slow cooker for about 8 hours. Serve over potato. :)

I may have to buy more of this before I try the others. Too good.

Cheers,
Stephanie

VegSeekingFit

Today & Black Bean Debacle

Postby VegSeekingFit » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:52 pm

HI,

Today decided that I will switch my Oct. HM registration to 10K. Bigger isn't necessarily better - and it makes more sense based on my fitness level and how I have been consistent, but not focused on that distance / pace in walking. Talking down my inner voice that is whispering "failure"... nothing to prove and doesn't make sense to do it. Period. (Also, I don't want to be one who doesn't adhere to time limits - regardless of DNF status, etc....)

Black Bean Debacle

Was planning to make slow cooked smashed black beans in the new 2 qt. crock. Simple recipe - distracted cook. Have loved this book !! Will be using more recipes - just need to get used to new slow cooker....(and not do dumb things)...

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/173 ... st-for-you

So, what I did (which I won't do again this way)...

1 c. dried black beans
3.5 c. water (only 3 were recommended, but I knew I would be longer than the 9 hr. cook time)
My adds: chili pepper in adobo sauce, red onions, chili powder, cumin
Cook on low setting...

Came home to soupy beans (next time will cook on high and not add extra half cup water). Drained some of the water and put on high. Became impatient. Turned off the slow cooker. Put in blender. Wow, didn't drain enough water -- really soupy. Decided to bulk it up. Added a can of drained beans, more red onions, more hot peppers. Checked consistency and tasted... ok (uber spicy).... Blend a little more... But then I had the lid off the blender. Pulled the power cord. Beans all of the kitchen. Yikes. Salvaged about 3/4 -- but spent 20+ min cleaning up.

Always something to learn....

Will not be deterrred in the 2 qt. crock pot experimenting... :-D

The salvaged beans are great.

On the positive side, have dodged 2 work food extravaganza bullets this week. Yesterday was a huge yearly food day for my departent - a once a year, much anticipated event. There is a huge area filled with more sweets, meats, bread than you can imagine and it goes all day. It is for charity - which I support, but really hard to see this spread - so, I practiced avoidance - and only passed the area once all day - did not really look. Today was a huge lunch celebration for all -- and I packed my lunch. Again, avoidance. Maybe not the best long-term technique -- but it is working for me with events where my presence (or lack thereof) would not be noticed.

Cheers,
Stephanie

VegSeekingFit

Postby moonlight » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:45 am

Hi Stephanie,
Your bean debacle sounds like something I've done before,,, the blender part,,, OMG! Glad the beans were good. :) I love your posts about your crockpot adventures. I've really only used mine to cook beans. I'm going to try chili and soups. I've been thinking a lot about lentil soup lately. You may have inspired me to get it made! :D
moonlight

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals