Shredded wheat - suitable for the diet?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Shredded wheat - suitable for the diet?

Postby European man » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:29 am

I've been eating Shredded Wheat as a snack as a way of helping to get enough calories in. I see on the glycemic index it has a surprisingly high number of 83 which according to one website puts it almost as high as corn flakes. I guess you'd say that in reality this isn't suitable to eat even though it's whole wheat with nothing added.
European man

Re: Shredded wheat - suitable for the diet?

Postby Ltldogg » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:54 am

European man wrote:I've been eating Shredded Wheat as a snack as a way of helping to get enough calories in. I see on the glycemic index it has a surprisingly high number of 83 which according to one website puts it almost as high as corn flakes. I guess you'd say that in reality this isn't suitable to eat even though it's whole wheat with nothing added.

Hi European man,

Both the Glycemic Index and Glycemic Load are flawed concepts and neither are used on The McDougall Program. Read these:

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2006nl ... ycemic.htm
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=54831&hilit=glycemic+index
https://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/10/10/1361

As for whole wheat cereal, it is a green light item in the Color Picture Book:

https://www.drmcdougall.com/pdf/dr-mcdo ... nglish.pdf

Cheers,
Scott
Ltldogg

Postby European man » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:39 pm

Ltldogg wrote:
European man wrote:I've been eating Shredded Wheat as a snack as a way of helping to get enough calories in. I see on the glycemic index it has a surprisingly high number of 83 which according to one website puts it almost as high as corn flakes. I guess you'd say that in reality this isn't suitable to eat even though it's whole wheat with nothing added.

Hi European man,

Both the Glycemic Index and Glycemic Load are flawed concepts and neither are used on The McDougall Program. Read these:

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2006nl ... ycemic.htm
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=54831&hilit=glycemic+index
https://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/10/10/1361

As for whole wheat cereal, it is a green light item in the Color Picture Book:

https://www.drmcdougall.com/pdf/dr-mcdo ... nglish.pdf

Cheers,
Scott

Thanks Scott. I've read the piece from 2006 by Dr McDougall.

I've read a lot from various WFPB gurus. Dr Greger thinks foods high on the GI aren't so good for creating good bacteria.

"When grains are ground into flour or puffed, they are digested more rapidly and more completely. This increases their glycemic index and leaves fewer leftovers for the friendly flora down in your colon." From How Not To Die

So, I don't know what to think.
European man

Postby Ltldogg » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:09 pm

European man,

Ultimately it is up to you in who to believe, but I can tell you here on this site and forums, we follow Dr. McDougall and Jeff Novick's advice and it does not always line up with other plant based Doctor's and Guru's.

I personally don't follow Dr. Greger anymore. He has zero clinical experience and zero scientific research/publishing experience. All he does is either read or have his staff read published studies and then make videos on topics of his interest while coming to conclusions. The problem with that is that there have been several times where his conclusions are wrong and even go against the conclusions of the actual research scientist who conducted the studies. Additional, he has been known to come to conclusions by cherry-picking parts from several unrelated studies, which is not proper.

So for me, I'll stick with John and Jeff and their sciencific and experience based approach; over 70 years and I believe over 40,000 patients/customers.

Cheers,
Scott
Ltldogg

Postby Ltldogg » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:21 pm

Dr. Greger also vilifies white potatoes, any form of rice, limiting starches and until recently recommended dha oil and vitamin D while also promoting smoothies, calorie restricting and eating within certain hours of the day. These are just a few examples of differences between him and The McDougall Program.

I can promise you this, follow The McDougall Program strictly and consistently and you will get great results.

Cheers,
Scott
Ltldogg

Postby European man » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:26 pm

Ltldogg wrote:Dr. Greger also vilifies white potatoes, any form of rice, limiting starches and until recently recommended dha oil and vitamin D while also promoting smoothies, calorie restricting and eating within certain hours of the day. These are just a few examples of differences between him and The McDougall Program.

I can promise you this, follow The McDougall Program strictly and consistently and you will get great results.

Cheers,
Scott

Thanks very much Scott for your detailed replies.
European man

Postby Ltldogg » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:11 pm

You're welcome. Just a reminder that I don't work for The McDougall Program and my opinion is just that :)

~Scott
Ltldogg

Postby Hal » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:55 pm

I would love to add cereal to my menu but i don't like all the 'milk'. When i have a lot of almond milk i feel like can tell i have been eating fat. Since that happens, i have stayed away from vegetable milk. I may try oat milk though. how about shreddies, are they OK? I imagine they are a bit too sweet.. but maybe you can 'rinse' the sugar off. :) How does oat milk compare to almond milk in the fat department?
Hal

Postby Ltldogg » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:50 pm

Hal wrote:I would love to add cereal to my menu but i don't like all the 'milk'. When i have a lot of almond milk i feel like can tell i have been eating fat. Since that happens, i have stayed away from vegetable milk. I may try oat milk though. how about shreddies, are they OK? I imagine they are a bit too sweet.. but maybe you can 'rinse' the sugar off. :) How does oat milk compare to almond milk in the fat department?

Read this recent reply from Jeffn in another thread:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=60639#p612237

Cheers,
Scott
Ltldogg

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:45 am

[url]Plain shredded wheat[/url] is unsweetened. Only the “frosted” shredded wheat has added sugar.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Sandy Sue » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:19 am

I have been eating shredded wheat with a splash of unsweetened soy milk and a banana almost everyday for years. It is my "go-to" breakfast. Lots of protein and fiber.
Sandy Sue

Postby OneLeggedPig » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:18 am

I love shredded wheat. I think for weight loss it might not be perfect, as it's dried, so higher in calorie density. But you could dilute the calorie density with some fruit also
OneLeggedPig

Postby PJK » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:13 am

I recommend Kashi brand organic whole wheat biscuits. It's essentially shredded wheat.

One serving is 31 small biscuits. Just 200 calories, 1 gram of fat (no sat. or trans), and 0 mg sodium.

There is some sugar - they say it's organic!

Otherwise, the complete ingredients list is just whole wheat, cinnamon and "natural flavor" (whatever that is).

Serve it with the low-fat Oatly milk and some fresh fruit, and you're good to go.
PJK

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning