The Behavioral Path to MWL Success - August 2023 Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

The Behavioral Path to MWL Success - August 2023 Group

Postby Mark Cooper » Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:02 pm

AUGUST 2023 RESOURCES
This section will be updated throughout the month with links to useful resources, as they are added to the thread.

Orientation Information for Time & Adherence:
The Behavioral Path to MWL Success

MWL 10-Point Checklist
MWL Program Guidelines
Calorie Density: How To Eat More, Weigh Less and Live Longer
MWL Recipes
Some of Jeff Novick's Quick and Easy Recipes
Jeff's Simple Recipes on Facebook
SNAP Meal Template
1- 28 oz Can No Salt Added Tomatoes (or broth for those who don't like tomatoes)
1- 14 oz Can No Salt Added Beans (which is about 1.5 - 2 cups)
1- 16 oz Bag Frozen Mixed Veggies (any type)
**optional - 1/2 cup Frozen Greens
1.5 to 2 cups of a *Cooked* Starch
~1 tbsp. Salt Free, Dried Seasoning/Spice

The Road to Success: Creating Healthy Habits
The Pleasure Trap: Dr. Doug Lisle at TedxFremont
How to Lose Weight Without Losing Your Mind with Dr. Doug Lisle
Dr. Doug Lisle on The Ego Trap
Dr. Doug Lisle: The Story of Willpower – What it Is & How it Works
Dr. Lisle's Three Top Tips for Dietary Success
Jeff Novick, RD - Nutrition & Health FAQ: Answers To The Most Asked Questions
A Review of the Rules & Guidelines for Reading Labels
Passive Overconsumption: The Unintended Intake of Excess Calories
Can You Really Eat As Much As You Want?
Why We Hit Plateaus and What We Can Do About Them
Top 10 Reasons for Lack of Success
Dining Out and Travel Food
Exercise, Health & You: How Much Is Enough?
Optimum BMI? / Optimal BMI - redux
Building Self-Efficacy
You Are Not Broken
wildgoose - How I determined my "goal weight"
Finding The Sweet Spot: Balancing Calorie Density, Nutrient Density & Satiety
Calorie Density & Satiety In Action
Amy's Giant List of Links to Dr. Lisle's Lectures
Mark Cooper

Re: The Behavioral Path to MWL Success - August 2023 Group

Postby BambiS » Fri Aug 04, 2023 5:59 am

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
No

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for desert
Some days

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
Yes

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
Yes, not an issue here

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
Yes

6. Eliminate any added oil.
Yes

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.
No, had crackers

8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself
Yes

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Yes!

Victories, comments, concerns, questions good week, nothing eventful.

I finally have the freedom to take daily walks and am enjoying the peaceful walks and scenery.

I’ve been eating WFPB, but haven’t had to much appetite. It’s probably the heat. I’m not in the mood or craving anything. Maybe I need to make some new recipes.
BambiS

Postby Starflower » Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:00 am

August 4th

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES

2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for desert. YES

3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts.  This includes gourmet sugars and salts too.  If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES

4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). NO - I had some avocado.

6) Eliminate any added oil. NO - There was some oil in a couple of pre-made foods.

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full.   Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. NO - I ate until uncomfortable at one meal.

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). NO - I missed most days.

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:

This week was a struggle. I was sick part of the week, and there was a very stressful and emotional situation going on. I probably would have turned to cookies and ice cream in the past, so maybe a couple of conveniences, like purchased hummus, wasn’t so bad in comparison. I even resisted the bag of chips I found in the bottom of the pantry :D. I’m determined to be able to report 10 yeses next week!

Wishing everyone a wonderful and successful week! :)
This journey is one of constant small adjustments. Nothing is ever static, no matter how long you've been eating this way. If something isn't working, you tweak it and make small changes until it works better.
- Wildgoose
Starflower

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:40 pm

Hi Team Time & Adherence, :)

Happy August! Hope that everyone is doing great!

1 Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
Frequently. Did not do for 4/21 meals. I am continuing to eat melons. Awesome, Mark, that you tried the Sugar Kiss and liked it!!! I have found a #2 favorite melon --- it is just called “Orange Melon” --- and looks like a honeydew but is orange on the inside. I honestly haven’t yet met a melon that I don’t like…

2 Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.
Yes. This week ate lots of oatmeal, brown rice, corn, beans, whole wheat pasta, and potatoes. Enjoyed with fruit and veggies.

3 Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
Yes. Reduced, not eliminated.

4 Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
Yes.

5 Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
Yes.

6 Eliminate any added oil.
Yes.

7 Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes, puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn, and dried fruit).
Yes.

8 Don’t drink your calories especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
Yes.

9 Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
Yes. No stuffing and no starving.

10 Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
Mostly -6 /7. Still lots of walking and pickleball. Took a rest day.

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:

« Deep summer is when laziness finds respectability.” – Sam Keen

Hope that everyone has a terrific week with some great food, exercise, sun and fun!

Cheers,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby Gimmelean » Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:44 pm

Post for week ending 8/4/23

Hello everyone!

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
Yes.

2). Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals.
Yes.

3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts.  This includes gourmet sugars and salts too.  If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
Yes.

4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish,)
Yes

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu,soy).
Yes

6) Eliminate any added oil.
Yes

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air popped popcorn, and dried fruit.
No* Candy and bread.

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes.

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full.   Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
Yes.

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
Yes. We joined an additional gym this week.

Victories,Comments,Concerns, Questions:
Mark you asked in last weeks closing comments,
“Any particular context informing or influencing those more calorie rich foods "sneaking in"? Hmmmm. Yes.
There is always candy at the office. I’m familiar with the locations and contents of every candy dish on my floor. At home, until now , I’ve been completely disinterested in junk food that’s there but I never buy. In retrospect, about two weeks ago and always at the end of long stressful days when working late, I’ve been habitually grabbing handfuls of candy at the office and snacks and junk food at home. I haven’t gained weight yet but it makes me feel physically awful after eating this stuff and I darn well know that I’m reigniting bad habits that I worked really hard to overcome. I am prepared with the right food always with me and ready but eating the bad stuff instead. De-stressing with food just causes more stress in the long term. My goal is to get back on MWL track.

It would be reassuring and helpful to hear from the group. What has helped you push through challenges?

See you next week!
Gimmelean

Postby CUgorji22 » Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:15 am

Hello, all! Happy Saturday!!

I have read the guidelines and would like to join the Aug Group.

I'm happy to be back!

-Chesca
CUgorji22

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:02 am

CUgorji22 wrote:Hello, all! Happy Saturday!!

I have read the guidelines and would like to join the Aug Group.

I'm happy to be back!

-Chesca

Hello! Welcome back; we're glad to have you rejoining us. :)
Mark Cooper

Postby Ejg » Sat Aug 05, 2023 12:41 pm

Happy Saturday, I missed posting here the last two Saturdays and definitely didn't want to make it three in a row.
My schedule changed a little bit and I guess I didn't make time to post my progress, but definitely don't want it to become a regular thing. The below is pertaining to this past week.

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. yes, been buying bags of prewashed salad and eating that, I discovered that I really don't like to make salad and so am willing to spend the money to have somebody else do it for me.
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. for the most part yes on 50-50, but I've been eating a lot of fruit recently, which is cheap and abundant. Probably reflected by the progress (or lack thereof) on the scale
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. yes
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). yes
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). yes
6. Eliminate any added oil. yes
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. yes
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). yes
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. this one has been key for me and this past week I probably didn't pay as much attention as I should have.
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). yes

Number on the scale for me has been basically flat for the last few weeks.....neither up nor down.....but after several weeks where the number continued to drop, this halt in progress has been slightly disappointing. Behaviors I can modify to achieve the desired result are probably more focus on #9 (eating until comfortably full, but not past) and #2 (limiting fruit to dessert). I just really, really love fruit! Overall I'm still happy with the effort, where I'm at now, and how far I've come. Happy summer
Though it feels malevolent, resistance operates with the indifference of rain and transits the heavens by the same laws as the stars. When we marshal our forces to combat resistance, we must remember this.
Ejg

Reporting for this week's Assessments is now CLOSED

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:06 pm

The window for reporting this week's behavioral results has officially closed.

My replies and the weekly summary will follow.
Mark Cooper

Mark's Replies for August 4

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:53 pm

BambiS - Kudos to you for getting those daily walks into your routine! I'm sure the freedom to include that activity feels wonderful. :) Aside from the heat and lack of appetite, are there any other pressures in your daily environment or routine that are hindering your capability to adhere to the recommended behaviors? I'm sure the newfound freedom that comes with your retirement has been primarily positive, but I was wondering if it has brought into focus any obstacles or challenges, as well. Trying a new adherent recipe can be a great way to spur enthusiasm; if you do that, let us know how it goes. Onward!

Starflower - Hang in there! Facing a stressful and emotional situation rarely feels easy or pleasant, and I'm sure dealing with illness only makes things harder. That doesn't sound fun at all. Cheers to you for not reaching toward the most calorie rich and troublesome foods that have been tempting in the past. Considering this week's struggles, I imagine it feels like a victory to have avoided running completely off the rails, right? Have you experimented with any specific activities (not associated with food or eating) that feel comforting, soothing, or fortifying when dealing with stress? In my experience, having a few reliable, go-to coping mechanisms can really have a positive effect. :thumbsup: for your determination, and have a wonderful week! :)

VegSeekingFit - Happy August, Stephanie! All of us need an occasional day of rest, right? :) I'll have to keep an eye out for that "Orange Melon." I really loved the Sugar Kiss - probably my favorite melon, apart from watermelon. Great food, exercise, sun and fun - I love it! :D

Gimmelean - Despite the environmentally driven challenges this week, you still managed to post a pretty solid-seeming behavioral assessment; that isn't a small achievement! It makes sense that the "exceptions" have been happening at the end of long, stressful, late-working days: those are the times when our resources, faculties, executive function, and "willpower" are likely to be at their nadir. I think you are wise to recognize that ongoing, habitual "exceptions" risk reactivating past habits that are incongruent with your desired pattern of behavior. Do you think it would help at all to commit to yourself to always, whenever you feel tempted, at minimum, eat something adherent before considering a reach toward something else? The primary thing that helps me struggle against and overcome significant challenges is a strong, well-understood and visualized connection to the reasons why I practice and pursue the pattern of behavior recommended in this group. My motivation is tied to the challenges I face managing my chronic illness, and the need to be in the best physical condition I can sustain to manage and minimize the symptoms of my disease. I know from experience that I cannot afford much "wiggle room," so doing everything I can to be consistent about my adherence feels extremely important. What are your primary reasons for practicing these behaviors, how do they connect to your broader goals, and to what extent and why does any or all of that feel important to you? A step up toward pushing through these challenges may be waiting in the answers to those questions. You can get there!

Ejg - A successful-seeming week based on your behavioral assessment, Eric, even if that wasn't reaffirmed by the scale this time. I love fruit, too, especially when it is cheap and abundant! :lol: I absolutely agree with you that it can make sense to trade time and effort for money, particularly to avoid activities that we "really don't like"; from that standpoint, prewashed bags of salad can be a great tool. :nod: Glad to know that you are happy with your ongoing efforts, as well as how far you've come - many reasons for gratitude. Happy summer and keep at it!
Mark Cooper

In Closing,

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Aug 05, 2023 2:02 pm

It is hard to believe that August is here! This summer feels like a real whirlwind to me. :eek:

My congratulations and appreciation to all who participated this week - carry on with your dedicated efforts!

I came across this discussion between Jeff and fjim on the occasion of Jim's 10 year anniversary practicing the way of eating recommended by Dr. McDougall, and wanted to share it with all of you. The full discussion is definitely worth reading, but if you are pressed for time, Jeff summarized it in a series of bullet points:
JeffN wrote:Thanks Jim

I appreciate the time and effort you put into this. I am sure your words will help many who read them.

As a guy who likes bullet points, (and who will be discussing this in the 10-Day Programs), let me see if I can bullet point a few items and you can let me know if I got it right and/or add anything.

1. The most important things that lead you to this diet.

- Fear, of a health crisis, both the immediate short term and the long term consequences, was the biggest initial motivator

- Availability of respectable data behind it.

2. The things that lead to long term success.

- Finding out how good the food is (I know you listed this under #1)

- the dramatic and continued improvement in bio-markers.

- immersing yourself in ongoing education (books, videos and live events)

- Keeping your environment safe

- not allowing yourself the first bite of "forbidden" food.

- a supportive wife who joined you in the adventure.

3. The major obstacles and overcoming them.

- (obstacle) Fear and doubts that the program wouldn't work for you. (solution) Seeing your quick dramatic results. Disgust with former habits that you now know led to this and not wanting to go back.

- How little influence you have on friends and family. Difficult one.

f1jim wrote:Jeff, you, Dr. McDougall, and the other nutritional gurus we follow have the real tough assignment. You have to carve out a living in the whole foods, plant based community. I don't. I work with computers, routers, networks etc. My life isn't dependent on people buying in to this message. The only person I have to worry about is myself in that regard. I shudder to think about making a living in plant based eating based on the people in my circle. I'd starve. I sometimes am surprised anyone is able to pull it off. My hat's off to you.

Truth be known, most people who carried this message forward from the early days until today did not make a living at it. Few tried and those who did often found it extremely difficult. They were just traditional health care professionals doing their regular jobs and this was a specific interest of theirs. For many of them, their regular job had to fund the work they did in regard to this or this was a small part of their regular work. Few, if any, were after money, fame or rock star status.

While we have many more health professionals who are learning about this today, they face two huge obstacles, they no one has found a solution to yet.

1) There is no cash flow for payment/reimbursement for them in the current medical system and paradigm to practice this type of health care. So to do it, they are back to where we all started, do it on the side for very little money or do it as a service. In addition, even if they did, there is very little money in it as it is mostly based on education.

2) Patients/clients who live in an environment that exploits certain aspects of human nature and the pleasure trap making this extremely difficult to do. I have seen many in much worse shape then you, with plenty of reasons to live, with full family support, who have not been able to do it.

f1jim wrote:Yes, it's been 10 years of extra life that many of my family never got. Some of them got a few more years but they were filled with misery. I've had 10 years of life. If it ends tomorrow I got my moneys worth from following this program. Every day beyond that is just gravy. Let's go for more, shall we?
f1jim

I agree 100% with those comments. This is not about us all living to 120 disease and medication free. This is about a gift we have all be given. The gift is how to optimize our life and health however long that may be, and we pay it back by living our lives to the fullest.
Thoughts?

Have an amazing, fun, successful week to come! Take care & be well! :D
Mark Cooper

Off to Washington

Postby Mark Cooper » Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:48 am

Hello, all!

Wildgoose will be facilitating the next two check-ins (on August 11 & 18), as I'm headed to the Pacific Northwest for 10 days to visit my wife's family. Big thank you to her, and best wishes to everyone for what I'm sure will be a fantastic couple of weeks.

Take care & be well!
Mark Cooper

Re: Off to Washington

Postby Starflower » Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:13 am

Mark Cooper wrote:Hello, all!

Wildgoose will be facilitating the next two check-ins (on August 11 & 18), as I'm headed to the Pacific Northwest for 10 days to visit my wife's family. Big thank you to her, and best wishes to everyone for what I'm sure will be a fantastic couple of weeks.

Take care & be well!

Have a lovely trip, Mark! Thank you for your kind encouragement and food for thought! :)
This journey is one of constant small adjustments. Nothing is ever static, no matter how long you've been eating this way. If something isn't working, you tweak it and make small changes until it works better.
- Wildgoose
Starflower

Postby BambiS » Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:16 pm

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
No

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for desert
Some days

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
Yes

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
Yes, not an issue here

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
Yes

6. Eliminate any added oil.
Yes

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.
No

8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself
Yes

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).most days

Victories, comments, concerns, questions good week, nothing eventful.

I had family visiting this week, I was out more. I ate plant based but did have sweets. I got a lot of walking in.
BambiS

Postby Rebecka22 » Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:04 am

1.Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. NO
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). NO
6. Eliminate any added oil. NO
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. NO
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). NO
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. NO
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES

I missed last week’s checkin, but the report was basically the same. These last two weeks I’ve been traveling and had my birthday yesterday. Today I am starting my new year back on track. I know I feel better when I am following the checklist and I am ready to get back to it. The last two weeks were a lot of little things adding up fast, but I know what to do and there’s no time like the present. I hope everyone has a great week! I’m going to keep an eye out for those melon suggestions!
Rebecka22

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program