PACKING FOOD FOR PLANE

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

PACKING FOOD FOR PLANE

Postby Starchyme » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:10 pm

Jeff, I know somewhere you wrote how you pack your food for the plane when you travel. Or perhaps it's on one of your DVD's (I have them all.) Would you be able to direct me to it? I'm going on a trip on May 1. We'll be eating two meals a day in and I plan to take some of them with me, ie, Right Foods, oatmeal, raisins, nuts, flax, rice cakes, etc. I know you said you re-package to condense them. Also wondering if you are able to bring it on the plane with you or check it in your luggage. Many thanks.
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Re: PACKING FOOD FOR PLANE

Postby JeffN » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:31 am

HealthE1 wrote:Jeff, I know somewhere you wrote how you pack your food for the plane when you travel. Or perhaps it's on one of your DVD's (I have them all.) Would you be able to direct me to it? I'm going on a trip on May 1. We'll be eating two meals a day in and I plan to take some of them with me, ie, Right Foods, oatmeal, raisins, nuts, flax, rice cakes, etc. I know you said you re-package to condense them. Also wondering if you are able to bring it on the plane with you or check it in your luggage. Many thanks.

As long as the food is not in the form of a liquid, I have never had a problem.

Sounds like you got it covered. Here are some more ideas in addition to the ones you mentioned. It is from a snack document I recently handed out and covers most all of it.

1) Baked Sweet Potatoes

These may be one of the best snacks. Either whole or sliced into rounds or cut into squares. Even work great if cold. Keep them ready to go in the refrigerator They carry well and are sweet, delicious and filling.

2) Baked Potatoes

Same as sweet potatoes. Delicious, filling and tasty, Keep them whole, or in slices or diced up. When out, you can always get a great hot potato at Wendy's for about $1.25

3) Baked Potato (or sweet potato) Steak Fries

Take a warm (or cold but cooked) baked potato and cut into steak fry wedges leaving the skin on. Place under a broiler and heat till golden brown. Delicious hot or cold

4) Baked Potato (or sweet potato) Chubby Chips

Take a raw potato and slice into 1/4" rounds, leaving the skin on. Place under a broiler and heat till golden brown. Turn over and broil other side. Delicious hot or cold

5) My Bean Burgers

Cook up a few of your favorite burgers before you go. Wrap them up and enjoy of the place with some Chubby Chips or Steak Fries.

6) Corn on the cob.

Keep fresh or frozen corn on hand. Sweet delicious and filling. Can be microwaved in 2-3 minutes. Or bake or broil them up ahead a time and keep them around. Excellent cold also.

7) Oatmeal

Place 1/4 to 1/2 cup oats (Rolled, or Quick) into a baggy. Add a TB or 2 of raisins and a tsp or 2 of cinnamon. Keep several with you. All you need is a some hot water and a cup.

8 ) Dry Soup Cups

The McDougall dry soup cups make an excellent snack. However, the cup can be bulky. So, take the soup mix out of the cup and put it in a plastic baggy. All you need now is a cup and some hot water. The reason I prefer the McDougall dry soup cups is because the spice mix is separate so you can add as much or as little as you like to keep the sodium low.

9) Hearty Bean Soups (See Menu)

Cook up big batches of these and keep a pot in the refrigerator. This way it is always around if you ever get hungry. Also travels well with you for a snack or a lunch in a thermos

10) Burrito's

Burrito's are easy to make and keep around and they travel well. Corn tortilla's, rice, beans, and whatever veggies you like. Make a dozen or so and always keep the extra in the fridge. Easy to snack on when out and about also.

12) Fruit.

Fruit makes a great snack as it is easy to carry, fresh sweet and always available. Even if you don't have any with you, it is easy to find fresh fruit and most any grocery store and even snack shops and convenience stores. Fruit can be filling but the problem is, it is usually short lived. So you will either need to have more fruit around, or one of the other mentioned snacks to help keep you full and satisfied.

13) Veggies

Another great choices but similar to fruit These are all great snack but not very satiating and filling. As you know, carrot and celery sticks just wont do it. But don't worry, they are not required as snacks. If you want to make them more filling, have them with a bean spread like hummus.

14) Home made or oil free bean spreads (ie hummus).

15) Whole grain crackers (ryvita, wasa, kavli)

16) Dried fruit.

I always choose a hotel that has a mini or full kitchen so I can prepare most all of my meals myself. Then, when you get to where you are going, go to a supermarket & make sure you have your basics.

Safe and healthy travels!

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Starchyme » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:18 am

Wow, thanks for all the hints. I'm good to go and enjoy McDougalling while away now.
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby jamietwo » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:47 pm

Great tips! Thanks, Jeff!

Do you know if the airlines (such as Southwest) that no longer serve meals are still willing/able to provide hot water in a cup?

Thanks!
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby JeffN » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:18 pm

As long as they give out coffee and tea, which they all do, they will give you hot water in a cup. I travel SouthWest all the time and have never had a problem

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD