The Behavioral Path to MWL Success - July 2023 Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

The Behavioral Path to MWL Success - July 2023 Group

Postby Mark Cooper » Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:18 am

JULY 2023 RESOURCES
This section will be updated throughout the month with links to useful resources, as they are added to the thread.

Orientation Information for Time & Adherence:
The Behavioral Path to MWL Success

MWL 10-Point Checklist
MWL Program Guidelines
Calorie Density: How To Eat More, Weigh Less and Live Longer
MWL Recipes
Some of Jeff Novick's Quick and Easy Recipes
Jeff's Simple Recipes on Facebook
SNAP Meal Template
1- 28 oz Can No Salt Added Tomatoes (or broth for those who don't like tomatoes)
1- 14 oz Can No Salt Added Beans (which is about 1.5 - 2 cups)
1- 16 oz Bag Frozen Mixed Veggies (any type)
**optional - 1/2 cup Frozen Greens
1.5 to 2 cups of a *Cooked* Starch
~1 tbsp. Salt Free, Dried Seasoning/Spice

The Road to Success: Creating Healthy Habits
The Pleasure Trap: Dr. Doug Lisle at TedxFremont
How to Lose Weight Without Losing Your Mind with Dr. Doug Lisle
Dr. Doug Lisle on The Ego Trap
Dr. Doug Lisle: The Story of Willpower – What it Is & How it Works
Dr. Lisle's Three Top Tips for Dietary Success
Jeff Novick, RD - Nutrition & Health FAQ: Answers To The Most Asked Questions
A Review of the Rules & Guidelines for Reading Labels
Passive Overconsumption: The Unintended Intake of Excess Calories
Can You Really Eat As Much As You Want?
Why We Hit Plateaus and What We Can Do About Them
Top 10 Reasons for Lack of Success
Dining Out and Travel Food
Exercise, Health & You: How Much Is Enough?
Optimum BMI? / Optimal BMI - redux
Building Self-Efficacy
You Are Not Broken
wildgoose - How I determined my "goal weight"
Finding The Sweet Spot: Balancing Calorie Density, Nutrient Density & Satiety
Calorie Density & Satiety In Action
Amy's Giant List of Links to Dr. Lisle's Lectures
Mark Cooper

Re: The Behavioral Path to MWL Success - July 2023 Group

Postby BambiS » Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:50 am

7-7

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
Most days

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for desert
Yes

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
Yes

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
Yes, not an issue here

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
No, did have some avocado on salad

6. Eliminate any added oil.
Yes

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.
Yes

8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself
Yes

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Most days

Victories, comments, concerns, questions good week, nothing eventful.

Good week, tried more recipes. Enjoyed fresh farmers market produce.
BambiS

Postby Rebecka22 » Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:44 pm

1.Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). YES
6. Eliminate any added oil. YES
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES

I made it through this week with all yeses, but there were plenty of challenges. The 4th of July is my husband’s birthday so there were lots of vegan desserts, but I didn’t eat any. He grilled the veggies and thankfully I was outside to see him slather butter all over them so I didn’t eat any. He was kind of annoyed and said a little butter wouldn’t kill me, but he got over it. Sadly that meant a lot of wasted corn since I’m the main person to eat the leftovers. We are on vacation starting tomorrow so I will do my best.
Rebecka22

Postby trueunity » Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:40 pm

A 10-Point Checklist for Maximum Weight Loss

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.

6/30: Yes
7/01: Yes
7/02: Yes
7/03: Yes
7/04: Yes
7/05: Yes
7/06: Yes
7/07: Yes

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.

7/06: Yes for most of the day, ate after dinner all the bad things
7/07: Yes up till Lunch, then, No...I then fall face first in all the crap.

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.

7/06: No
7/07: No

Absolutely Always

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.

7/06: No...dry cereal and saltine crackers, dried fruit
7/07: No...dry cereal, rice crackers, candy

8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).

7/06: No...zero sugar energy drink
7/07: No ...zero sugar energy drink

Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full.

7/06: No...over stuffed like a goose
7/07: No...so full of processed crap I feel sick to my stomach

9. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.

7/06: No...over stuffed like a goose
7/07: No...so full of processed crap I feel sick to my stomach

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).

7/01: Yes: Today was Leg day..and let me just say ....atta boy!! The burn was Real!!
7/05: No

This has been an phenomenal week. I have turned so many things around in my life. I hurt myself on Wednesday. I popped a rib on my right side, I'm in extreme pain. This in turn has caused me to feed my pain and over eat. I know that it won't make things better, so not sure why it's caused me to self inflict this on to myself. Helping to have it turned around tomorrow. Fingers crossed, I can push through this and get back to my 10 point checklist.

I love my body, I love my mind, I love my life!!

I just have to be honest and put all this out there, I really want to overcome my processed food addiction. I really want to get healthy and live my best life.
trueunity

Postby Starflower » Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:45 pm

Hi Mark!

I re-read the orientation posts. May I join the current thread? The obstacles that derailed me in the past were pre-loads and a few calorie dense foods. I have a plan for quick to grab preloads, and MWL compliant substitutes for the richer foods.

This week was awful, but dinner tonight was compliant and delicious.

Wishing a successful July to everyone! :)
This journey is one of constant small adjustments. Nothing is ever static, no matter how long you've been eating this way. If something isn't working, you tweak it and make small changes until it works better.
- Wildgoose
Starflower

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:09 pm

Hi Team Time & Adherence, :D

Happy July!!! Hope everyone’s month is off to a phenomenal start!

1 Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
Sometimes.

2 Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.
Yes. Still going strong with the same simple meals - seeing no reason to change it up.

3 Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
Yes. Reduced, not eliminated.

4 Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
Yes.

5 Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
No. Had about 1/3 avocado and sprinkle of sesame seeds on salad eaten out. I could have left the avocado on the plate – and plan to do that next time I encounter an avocado. Moving on – these are not “problem” foods for me / don’t put me in Pleasure Trap, etc. (Maybe if the avocado was in the form of guacamole, I would best not acknowledge it… :lol: )

6 Eliminate any added oil.
Yes.

7 Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes, puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn, and dried fruit).
Yes.

8 Don’t drink your calories especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
Yes.

9 Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
Yes. No stuffing and no starving.

10 Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
Yes - 7 /7. Lots of walking and pickleball.

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:

Hope everyone has a fun and productive upcoming week!

Best,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:17 am

Starflower wrote:I re-read the orientation posts. May I join the current thread? The obstacles that derailed me in the past were pre-loads and a few calorie dense foods. I have a plan for quick to grab preloads, and MWL compliant substitutes for the richer foods.
Sure and welcome!
Mark Cooper

Postby Hjklost55 » Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:21 am

GOOD MORNING. Trying to post with just my phone this morning. So bear with me! Hope everyone had a good week. Welcome back Mark!

1.Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
YES

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for desert
YES

YES

YES

NO. avocado on Veggie burrito

YES

NO. Gave in to temptation at a good friends 88th BD party. Had cake. And it wasn’t even that good!! UGH.

8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
YES

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself
YES

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
YES walking daily

Victories, comments, concerns, questions.
Had a pretty good week. Except for the BD cake. But bounced right back. Feel good about that because in the past…. That has lead to some binging. Feel more control over my ability to get back on track.

Going to my class reunion tonight. I called the venue and arranged some compliant food for me. So should be fine there.

Have a great week everyone.
Holly
Hjklost55

Postby Ejg » Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:43 am

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. yes, ate a ton of salad this week before lunch and dinner.
haven't been eating salad for breakfast but I always cut my oatmeal with lots of fruite

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. for 50-50 non starchy vegetables, mostly but probably not every meal. for limiting fruit to dessert, definitely not. cherries are in season and I feel like I ate WAY too many cherries.
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. yes
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). yes
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). yes
6. Eliminate any added oil. yes
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. yes
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). yes
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. No, I definitely ate way into the pain this week (cherries and mangos) and the scale reflected that.
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). yes

number on the scale was up slightly this week. I'm not going to get too worked up about it, I think its probably within what I'd consider reasonable week-to-week variation, but I think the point is that it didn't go down like it had been, and I think its probably because I ate a ton of cherries and mangos. It is what it is, if I don't like the result of eating all that fruit, then I know what I have to do (and I shall this week). I think I'm also going to switch to vegetable soup for compliance with #1. figure I'd try something a little different. Have a good week, and happy July
Though it feels malevolent, resistance operates with the indifference of rain and transits the heavens by the same laws as the stars. When we marshal our forces to combat resistance, we must remember this.
Ejg

Reporting for this week's Assessments is now CLOSED

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:01 pm

The window for reporting this week's behavioral results has officially closed.

My replies and the weekly summary will follow.
Mark Cooper

Mark's Replies for July 7

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:45 pm

BambiS - Kudos to you for making it a good week! Farmers market produce and playing with recipes sounds like time well spent. If you feel the need to shore up your progress, the checklist tells you exactly where to focus your efforts. :) Onward!

Rebecka22 - Absolutely awesome efforts! 10/10 during a challenging week, including holiday activities, is no small achievement. :D Enjoy your vacation time, wish your husband a happy birthday for me, and just keep doing the best you can!

trueunity - Congratulations on a week that felt phenomenal for you! I'm happy to know you are feeling positive about your life. :) Sorry you've been dealt that injury and you're experiencing pain; that is never fun. May your healing be swift and easy. Do you have anything you like to do to comfort or soothe yourself that is independent of food? What are some favorite activities when you want to feel pampered? Be compassionate and patient with yourself and try to make it as easy as possible to get back and stay on track. Try to arrange your environment to fully support your efforts. Wishing you pain free days to come!

VegSeekingFit - It seems like you've really got this lifestlye and your "maintenance phase" dialed in, Stephanie - nicely done! :D Keep it up!

Hjklost55 - Definitely a pretty solid week! Kudos to you for bouncing right back after the birthday party, Holly; that definitely seems like something worth noticing and what a great feeling to know you have agency over your path right back to adherence. :thumbsup: I applaud you for being proactive about arranging suitable food for your class reunion. Have fun!

Ejg - Laudable effort overall, Eric! This is definitely a season where delicious fruit is ripe and plentiful, right? I was enjoying the fresh cherries while on my trip, as well. It is certainly best to avoid "eating into the pain," but don't put too much significance on any single scale reading. The trend across time and maintaining a prevailing pattern of behavior in adherence to the recommendations will support your continued progress. Let us know how the vegetable soup works for you. Keep at it!
Mark Cooper

In Closing,

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:54 pm

The first week of July is already over! Where does the time go? :lol:

Many thanks to wildgoose for bringing June to a close with style, and to all our participants for you dedicated, continuing efforts. :thumbsup:

I thought this question and answer from earlier this week was pretty interesting, particularly the linked discussions from Dr. McDougall and Jeff. It very effectively illustrates that FOODS, particularly the minimally processed plant foods on which we focus in this group, are more than just macronutrients. I think when people exclusively focus on the concepts of protein, fat, and carbohydrate it can be somewhat reductive and possibly counterproductive as opposed to real foods in there actual consumed form.

Have an amazing week! Take care & be well! :D
Mark Cooper

Postby Gimmelean » Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:10 pm

Sorry I missed the posting window this week. Welcome back Mark!
Gimmelean

Postby Starflower » Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:38 pm

Mark Cooper wrote:
Starflower wrote:I re-read the orientation posts. May I join the current thread? The obstacles that derailed me in the past were pre-loads and a few calorie dense foods. I have a plan for quick to grab preloads, and MWL compliant substitutes for the richer foods.
Sure and welcome!

Thank you! I have a question. I see that tortillas are not allowed for MWL because of calorie density. I use them in soups and stews sometimes as the starch. They get pretty waterlogged :), so they become less calorie dense. Is that a compliant use, or should I choose a different starch?
This journey is one of constant small adjustments. Nothing is ever static, no matter how long you've been eating this way. If something isn't working, you tweak it and make small changes until it works better.
- Wildgoose
Starflower

Postby Mark Cooper » Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:28 am

Gimmelean wrote:Sorry I missed the posting window this week. Welcome back Mark!
Thanks for the welcome back! :D

Starflower wrote:I have a question. I see that tortillas are not allowed for MWL because of calorie density. I use them in soups and stews sometimes as the starch. They get pretty waterlogged :), so they become less calorie dense. Is that a compliant use, or should I choose a different starch?
For MWL it would be recommended to choose one of the adherent starches instead of tortillas. Tortillas would fall under the seventh item from the Checklist:
I wouldn't imagine using tortillas the way you describe would be a huge problem, but in adhering to the letter and spirit of the MWL 10-Point Checklist I would eliminate them, or replace with something like oats, brown rice, millet, potatoes, &c. :)
Mark Cooper

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program