Southwestern Black Bean Soup
Prep: 15 minutes, plus overnight soaking of beans Cook: 3 hours
- 1 pound black beans
- 2 quarts water
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-16 ounce cans whole tomatoes with liquid, chopped
- 4 ounce can chopped green chilies
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Soak the beans overnight in the water.
Bring to a boil in the soaking water, cover, and reduce the heat. Simmer for 1 hour then add all the remaining ingredients, except the cilantro. Cook until the beans are tender, about 2 hours. Add the cilantro just before serving. Mix it in well and let the soup rest, covered, for about 15 minutes. Serve hot.
NOTE: This is great to make in a slow cooker. Put everything into the pot, except the cilantro, early in the morning. (No need to soak the beans first). Set the cooker on high, cover, and let it cook all day. Add the cilantro just before serving.