High Cholesterol Treatment Options

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

High Cholesterol Treatment Options

Postby tldiedrich » Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:21 am

Hello.
I discovered today that my cholesterol is so high that the cardiologist I saw is very concerned and referred me to a lipid clinic and put me on a medication. The thing is, I do not eat foods with cholesterol, so we are guessing it's genetic. I really want to switch my diet to 100% plant-based and wondering if anyone else has had any success with lowering their high cholesterol by going plant-based. I would love to hear from you and your experience.

Thanks,
Taisa
tldiedrich

Re: High Cholesterol Treatment Options

Postby Lyndzie » Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:15 pm

Hi there.

When I switched to a plant-based diet, my cholesterol dropped 30%. Mine wasn't considered high to start with, but dropped nonetheless.

A few things to ponder: What are you eating? Oreos don't contain cholesterol, but I'm pretty sure that they aren't going to help keep cholesterol low, either. I'd be curious to know your age, lipid results, how they trend over time, and are you pregnant. Going plant-based isn't going to hurt you, but knowing where you currently are helps you figure out where you want to go.

Good luck!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby michaelswarm » Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:13 pm

Taisa,

High blood lipids are not caused just by dietary cholesterol, as I'm sure you have found out. Since you have seen a cardiologist, and not just a general practitioner, I'm guessing you might have other risk factors of cardiovascular disease. Unfortunately, cardiovascular disease, and markers such as high cholesterol, as all too common in modern culture.

Check out what Dr McDougall has to say about both.

High Cholesterol
https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/c ... olesterol/

Heart Disease & Atherosclerosis
https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/c ... t-disease/

My own cholesterol was 240 before beginning this journey. While at Dr McDougall's 10-Day Program, it was measured in low 160s. But that was not what brought me to Dr McDougall. My girlfriend had been diagnosed with cancer, and it was research and practice to save her that brought me.

Give a starch based whole food plant based diet a try. Better yet, make it a serious commitment. There are many benefits other than lower blood numbers, not the least is amazing tasting food. I now know more about food, ingredients and cooking than I ever did, and am capable of better than restaurant quality dishes, and making meals as good as my grandmother used to. Shopping days are an adventure, the kitchen always smells good and I have little to no household package garbage.

What do you have to lose?
michaelswarm

Postby Artista » Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:25 am

michaelswarm wrote:Give a starch based whole food plant based diet a try. Better yet, make it a serious commitment. There are many benefits other than lower blood numbers, not the least is amazing tasting food. I now know more about food, ingredients and cooking than I ever did, and am capable of better than restaurant quality dishes, and making meals as good as my grandmother used to. Shopping days are an adventure, the kitchen always smells good and I have little to no household package garbage.

What do you have to lose?

Michael, you should do a cooking show, I would sign up for that!
Artista

Postby michaelswarm » Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:06 pm

Artista wrote:Michael, you should do a cooking show, I would sign up for that!

Thank you. I don't want to detract too much from the topic of high cholesterol here.

Check out recipe for Hot Lentil Sausage I just posted over in Food Recipes & Meal Planning
https://www.drmcdougallforums.com/viewt ... =5&t=62615
michaelswarm

Postby pundit999 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:45 pm

Yes. I have had success reducing cholesterol on the diet advocated here: whole plants only.
But you need to think beyond cholesterol though cholesterol is one of the main reasons arteries clog . But unfortunately it is not the whole story. A significant percentage of people with heart disease have normal levels (whatever normal is : <200 total , <100 ldl etc)
A whole plants only diet is protective in many other ways: reducing tmao , reducing inflammation, thinning blood much like aspirin does etc. Tmao discovered only 10 years ago. So there are likely others positive effects of eating whole plants that science still has to discover .
Eat whole plants for sure. But you should also listen to your cardiologist as far as medications . Just to be safe.
A heart attack is very bad .
pundit999

Return to Health Issues