High BP and high glucose

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

High BP and high glucose

Postby Helga » Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:29 pm

I am a 61 y.o. female who is of normal weight (BMI is 22) and moderately active. I have been vegan for 8 years and was vegetarian/pescatarian for 21 years prior to that. I often do intermittent fasting (16:8) and sleep very well.
I recently went to a gynecologist due to frequent, urgent urination. I was given a HEMOGLOBIN A1C test and it was 11.1. My blood pressure was 168/104. Since then (2 weeks ago), I have eaten very little sodium and drastically lowered my fat intake. For the last four days, I have tried the Buchinger Fast and today I started the Oatmeal diet. My BP (using a home device) has gone down very little. I'm not sure if my glucose levels have decreased. I did lose 3 pounds, but I really didn't need to.
I used to eat processed vegan meats, cheeses, and treats on occasion, and cooked with avocado or olive oils, but have eliminated them for now, until I can see major improvements in my numbers. I eat a lot of vegetables, legumes, fruits, and whole grains. My snacks are unsalted nuts, seeds, and fruit smoothies that include berries, kale, chia and flax seeds. I drink a LOT of water (approx. 125 oz) and one cup of coffee each day.
I've had issues with gestational diabetes, and being pre-diabetic and diabetic off and on for decades. I had hoped becoming vegan 8 years ago would have resolved this, but sadly not. My parents were not overweight, but had issues with diabetes, high triglycerides, high cholesterol, and a heart attack for my dad, so they've both taken meds. I really don't want to take prescription meds. until I've exhausted all options.

What helpful recommendations do you have that I have not yet tried?
Helga

Re: High BP and high glucose

Postby Ejeff » Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:57 am

What is your height and weight? Perhaps a BMI of 22 is still too high. If I were in your position I would eliminate all added fats and oils for at least 6 months. Ideally never have oil again. For a while I would not have any nuts or seeds either. If you don’t want to lose more weight when you eliminate these things, eat more food. More potatoes, oats, whole wheat pasta etc. Also, if possible have greens with each meal. If you can change to a very low fat no oil diet, be patient and the blood pressure should improve.

Erin
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby Helga » Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:53 am

I'm 5'4" and 130 lbs. I don't think my weight is the issue. I have always eaten a lot of greens and other veggies - at least half my plate. I have eliminated oils for the last few weeks and plan on doing so moving forward. I eat sweet potatoes, oats, rice pasta, barley, and brown rice with many kinds of beans, chickpeas, lentils, etc. I do snack on a lot of raw, unsalted nuts and seeds, so I guess I could cut back on those. I've started drinking more hibiscus/hawthorn tea and have added amla to my smoothies. Perhaps I just need to be more patient, as you suggest. Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Helga

Postby Helga » Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:28 pm

I'm open to any other suggestions!
Helga

Postby michaelswarm » Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:42 am

Helga, Welcome to Dr McDougall's forum!

I would read everything I can from Dr McDougall on diabetes and high blood pressure. The newsletter articles all include footnotes references to original medical science.

Diabetes
https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/c ... /diabetes/

High Blood Pressure
https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/c ... ertension/

What to do, I would follow Dr McDougall's advice closely. As others have suggested, have patience. Might want to consult with Dr Lim or Jeff Novick, RD. It's not unusual that vegan-vegetarian have issues due to inclusion of fake and processed foods.

The range for normal BMI is very wide, from 18.5 - 25.0. Jeff Novick has said you really want to be in the lower half of this range, as evidence shows adverse events in the upper half. You've already identified oils and nuts. You might want to also consider substitute whole fruit snacks for fruit smoothies.

Writing down and sharing a couple of your daily menus might help too. For example:
B: Oatmeal with banana
L: Whole wheat spaghetti and marinara sauce
D: Black bean tacos with salsa
S: Oranges
michaelswarm

Postby MostlyPlantEater » Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:52 pm

Helga wrote:I am a 61 y.o. female who is of normal weight (BMI is 22) and moderately active. I have been vegan for 8 years and was vegetarian/pescatarian for 21 years prior to that. I often do intermittent fasting (16:8) and sleep very well.
I recently went to a gynecologist due to frequent, urgent urination. I was given a HEMOGLOBIN A1C test and it was 11.1. My blood pressure was 168/104. Since then (2 weeks ago), I have eaten very little sodium and drastically lowered my fat intake. For the last four days, I have tried the Buchinger Fast and today I started the Oatmeal diet. My BP (using a home device) has gone down very little. I'm not sure if my glucose levels have decreased. I did lose 3 pounds, but I really didn't need to.
I used to eat processed vegan meats, cheeses, and treats on occasion, and cooked with avocado or olive oils, but have eliminated them for now, until I can see major improvements in my numbers. I eat a lot of vegetables, legumes, fruits, and whole grains. My snacks are unsalted nuts, seeds, and fruit smoothies that include berries, kale, chia and flax seeds. I drink a LOT of water (approx. 125 oz) and one cup of coffee each day.
I've had issues with gestational diabetes, and being pre-diabetic and diabetic off and on for decades. I had hoped becoming vegan 8 years ago would have resolved this, but sadly not. My parents were not overweight, but had issues with diabetes, high triglycerides, high cholesterol, and a heart attack for my dad, so they've both taken meds. I really don't want to take prescription meds. until I've exhausted all options.

What helpful recommendations do you have that I have not yet tried?

Wow, this is really discouraging. I also am also having frequent urination. I wonder what could possibly be going on? You are eating fairly healthy and you are not overweight? Why the HBP? Weird! When do you see your doc again for a followup?
MostlyPlantEater

Postby MostlyPlantEater » Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:44 pm

Wow, no one ever comes back and follows up. This forum seems pretty dead now.
MostlyPlantEater

Postby Chumly » Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:06 pm

It's unfortunate. It has been many weeks since I have visited and there never seems to be much going on. I hope you're doing better.

Michael
Chumly

Return to Health Issues