Diabetes and Whole grains

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Diabetes and Whole grains

Postby KristiHugs » Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:19 pm

I have been diabetic for ten years and have researched many different "diets". My concern is with the amount of high carb pastas in many of the recipes. Brown rice, quinoa, oats....also high carb. Many fruits are also high in sugars.These have a tendency to raise blood sugar levels. I was also read studies that say legumes are anti nutrient meaning they do not impart any nutrients into the body. As I research more, I keep letting go of more and more foods. My friend teased that soon I will be eating ice. The diabetes is so frustrating! I am on metformin. My cholesterol numbers are a tad high but I do not want to take a statin (it also says that statins are bad for the liver and I have fatty liver disease so.....) I also have gall sludge and according to a recent CT, calcification in the artery. Diabetic retinopathy and macular edema as well. My blood pressure is fantastic though! so yay for me. I do not want to take pills. In the past few years, I have lost 60 lbs and A1C was 6.5 last time. I want to do this naturally and have been experimenting with various plans. I am so frustrated and overwhelmed. I guess I just need a starting point/direction. Any advice? Thank you so much for your time!
KristiHugs

Re: Diabetes and Whole grains

Postby pundit999 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:35 pm

Sorry to hear about your medical problems
I would suggest following the maximum weight loss guidelines for 3 months.
See if things improve
I bet they will and you can then decide if you want to adopt the whole plants only diet long term
There is just too much misinformation everywhere. Do the experiment on N=1
Good luck
pundit999

Postby michaelswarm » Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:57 pm

Dr McDougall Common Health Problems: Diabetes
https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/c ... /diabetes/

Summary
- Type 2 caused by diet, cured by diet.
- Drugs not advised.
- Yes, McDougall uses word cure.

Key Facts
- Mechanism is excess fat in cells not designed to store fat, primarily muscles and liver.
- Weeks to months to reverse.

Science is wonderful, but skill and habit is needed to put into practice and see results.
Get started. Go all in.

Participate in 12-Day Program if you can. This is serious.

I've been practicing for over a decade now, ever since my girlfriend was diagnosed and later passed of cancer. I wish we would have learned and started sooner. I continue to learn and practice, and feed myself and my 3 growing kids healthy and amazing tasting meals.
michaelswarm

Postby pundit999 » Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:10 am

I've been practicing for over a decade now, ever since my girlfriend was diagnosed and later passed of cancer. I wish we would have learned and started sooner. I continue to learn and practice, and feed myself and my 3 growing kids healthy and amazing tasting meals.

I wish there was a Love it button on the forum.
Good for you!
pundit999

Postby KristiHugs » Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:12 am

thank you all. I have created a healthy eating plan using recipes here and elsewhere so will be doing a three month "experiment" to see what works and what does not for me. As we know, healthy eating is a highly individualized thing, so I am all in!!! Going to research more recipes now!! Thank you for your support and suggestions! :-D
KristiHugs

Return to Health Issues