Type 2 diabetes

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby slugmom » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:04 am

It sounds to me, though, like you've only monitored your blood glucose the one day?

I would say start eating healthy now ~ follow a starch based, fruit-and-veggie strong, no-added-oils diet for a few days. Take your blood sugar a few times a day, or do a fasting one in the morning and then some later ...

From what I've read, part of the diagnosis is that it's "more than once" ... that you show you have a history of your levels being off. I would confirm that it really is / has been a problem before starting any meds. You might find that what you experienced was a warning, but that it's already under control with the healthier diet.

Type 2 diabetes is diagnosed with the following blood tests:

Fasting blood glucose level -- diabetes is diagnosed if higher than 126 mg/dL on 2 occasions.
Random (non-fasting) blood glucose level -- diabetes is suspected if higher than 200 mg/dL and accompanied by the classic symptoms of increased thirst, urination, and fatigue (this test must be confirmed with a fasting blood glucose test).
Oral glucose tolerance test -- diabetes is diagnosed if glucose level is higher than 200 mg/dL after 2 hours.
- Kim

slugmom

THANK YOU!

Postby Marcie » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:46 am

Thank you, all of you, for all your help and wisdom. You’re all such a blessing and your advice has been a genuine lifesaver. I’ve been a loyal McDougaller for several days now and I’m shocked by all the extra energy and stamina! In such a short time too. After reading more of Dr. Bernard’s book I know what to eat now and about the portions.

The uncaring doctor finally called back after a complaint to the head of the clinic. My A1c was 7.4 He said to try the vegan dietary approach to see what my body can do. He also said it would be okay to do the vegan dietary approach until my weight is normal and that it wouldn’t cause too much damage to do that without insulin or pills. He’s an uncaring doctor so no telling if he’s right or not but I’m going to go for it for 3 months without insuline or pills.

In 3 months of loyal McDougalling, that A1c is going to come waaaay down. Just you wait and see!

THANK YOU again for all your help! :-D
Looking for a doctor in the Houston area who supports a vegan lifestyle.
Marcie

Postby hope101 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:59 pm

Hey Marcie, let us know how you do. We love celebrating successes along with others! :D
hope101

Postby xray999 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:03 am

Marcie,

I suspect your A1C will drop dramatically just with diet changes. Don't be too disappointed if it doesn't drop as drastically as you think it should in the first 3 months though. It may take 6 to 9 months to get it where you want it.

For what it's worth, IMO you might want to search out another doctor. Frankly, it sounds like the guy you're seeing now is an ass.
xray999

Postby hope101 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:12 am

Xray999--you gave me a chuckle. You don't pull any punches do you? My kind of gal/guy. :D
hope101

Postby xray999 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:53 pm

hope101 wrote:Xray999--you gave me a chuckle. You don't pull any punches do you? My kind of gal/guy. :D

Yeah, I've had my problems with doctors over the years. The degree to which health professionals are inattentive to their patients is almost criminal.
xray999

Postby Marcie » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:02 pm

Hope101, you can count on it. :)

X-ray, thanks for the tip and . . . LOL! :-D
Looking for a doctor in the Houston area who supports a vegan lifestyle.
Marcie

Previous

Return to Health Issues