Shannon's journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Shannon's journal

Postby letsfixmyheart » Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:50 pm

Thank you, Erin!

Today was good, but I did learn a lesson. If I have cooked potatoes or sweet potatoes in the fridge, I'll eat them when I want something quick. If I don't, then apparently, I'll eat a bowl of rice chex. I need to keep starches in the fridge at all times, I guess, because sometimes I am just too lazy or hungry to take the time to cook ANYTHING. Jeeze.

Still, it was a good day. Ate lots of potatoes and sweet potatoes and fruit and veggies, and just that one bowl of cereal was off-plan. Not the worst day ever.

(I'm still tracking with a food tracker for now, and I was under my calorie range without feeling deprived at all.)
Shannon
Starting weight 10/22/23: 280
Started MWL 11/11/23, still at 280 lbs.
Last BP at the doctor 6/2/23: 143/84
Lipids 2/1/23: Chol 173; HDL 42; LDL 97 Triglyceride 168
letsfixmyheart

Postby Jennifer-L » Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:17 am

letsfixmyheart wrote:Day one is in the books. I am still using a food tracker (Noom) and I ate way fewer calories than usual without really trying. I don't love tracking, but it does keep me honest when I'm eating the standard American diet, and I have told myself that if I can go a month without deviating from my plan (which is to do 100% MWL with 4 exceptions, and do the closest I can at those times), then I can stop tracking.

(* 4 exceptions are immediate family birthdays, major food holidays (like, not Veterans' Day, but Thanksgiving and such), our weekly Sunday family dinner (but not all day -- just dinner), and when I'm on a road trip for work, which happens a handful of times per year and lasts 1 to 2 days each time. I will tackle those 4 times later; right now I'm figuring out how to eat at normal daily meals, both at home and at work,)

I think you will find that you can cut this list down and still be quite satisfied. These are 4 exceptions, but it's actually between 52 and ? meals per year. It's going to be REALLY hard to adjust your tastebuds if you eat SAD food that often. You also don't want to reverse all the work you did losing weight the rest of the week. Just give it a little time and you will find it's much easier to stick with, and you will even prefer to stay on plan during these times. I promise! :-D

For family birthdays, I still eat my food but I used to eat a small piece of dessert so that they didn't feel disconnected from me, but these days I eat fruit, or a popsicle, or a twice baked Japanese sweet potato (they are incredibly sweet and gooey).

On the road, you will learn where to find potatoes, salads, etc. (canned beans help with starch for salad if potatoes aren't available. Oatmeal, fruit, etc can work for any meal.) Some friends of mine were evacuated due to a forest fire this year, and as soon as they checked in to a hotel, they went to the grocery store and bought pre cut fruit and a baguette. For their dinner. I think most people would have gone for fast food in a stressful situation, but that's what they wanted and were happy with. preferring to eat this way is one of the happy changes you can expect!

For family dinners, I will always make sure there is something we can all eat, along with things my family eats. I make mashed potatoes and vegetables my way, and depending on what's being cooked and who is eating, I might set aside food for myself and then add more ingredients and finish for them. It's ok to eat simply, and I love a plate full of potatoes, green beans, corn and Mary's fat free gravy. If you post your challenges, there's a lot of people here that will help you through them. Before long you won't need help, it will just be natural for you.
Total Lost = 47 pounds
12-Day Program graduate
Jennifer-L

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Nov 24, 2023 12:45 pm

Hi Shannon! :)

I ❤️ your photos! Thanks for sharing them.

I also need to keep starches / various leftovers in the refrigerator to eat when hungry. It really helps when trying to make a good choice. :-D Right now, I have some potatoes and some whole wheat pasta in there that is easy to grab.

Hope you have a great week.

Cheers,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby letsfixmyheart » Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:47 pm

Thanks, Stephanie!

Planning is working well. I haven't really gotten in the habit of putting it online, but my plan goes on my whiteboard daily and it helps a LOT. (Pics are of my salad today with balsamic vinegar, and a bowl of soup -- potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant, onions, and summer squash with Italian seasoning. Oh, and mushrooms.)

Shannon
letsfixmyheart

Postby letsfixmyheart » Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:50 pm

Plan for tomorrow (Tuesday):
Breakfast: Oats and strawberries
Lunch: Sweet potato and leftover soup
Dinner: Veggie chili and salad
Snacks: oranges, apples, herbal tea, grapes, raw veggies
Shannon
letsfixmyheart

Postby letsfixmyheart » Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:49 pm

Did pretty well today. Stayed completely on plan until dinner, then turned out my husband forgot to make the chili, so I heated up some potatoes, onions, artichoke hearts, and mushrooms, and had them with a little ketchup. I did NOT heat up a TV dinner. For snacks at work I did have some air-popped popcorn, but I passed up many, many, many pastries, so I'll take it. Having a plan really does help me!

letsfixmyheart wrote:food for today (Tuesday):
Lunch: Sweet potato and leftover soup
Dinner: potatoes and veggies
Snacks: salad with balsamic vinegar, air-popped popcorn, cucumbers, hearts of palm, cherry tomatoes

Plan for tomorrow (Wednesday)
Lunch: Sweet potato and canned compliant soup
Dinner: chili if my husband remembers to make it :-)
Snacks: grapes, cherry tomatoes, thawed frozen fruit, potatoes, herbal tea
Shannon
letsfixmyheart

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:48 pm

Hey there...just browsed your entire journal and LOVE the food entries: pictures, menus, meal prep, what have you. It's inspiring! Can you post that cheese sauce recipe?

thanks
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Previous

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals