Starflower’s Journey to Health

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Starflower’s Journey to Health

Postby Starflower » Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:36 pm

MWL thread post for 1/13

Hi MWL team! :)

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES

2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for desert. YES

3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts.  This includes gourmet sugars and salts too.  If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES

4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). NO

6) Eliminate any added oil. YES

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:

It was a good week, excepting a small amount of sunflower seed butter again. I didn’t have time to experiment with making condiments. Caring for a sick family member and a birthday celebration kept me busy. I’m celebrating that I didn’t partake of a single ‘treat’ at that celebration. Not even my favorite and strongest pleasure trap triggers! Yay! Onward! :)

Mark, thank you for all the links! As always, exactly what was needed. I can’t wait to experiment with them!

Jeff, thank you for your supportive and encouraging post! I’ll be referring to it often. Happy New Year!

Wishing everyone a wonderful and healthy week! Thank you all for support and sharing along the way! :)
Last edited by Starflower on Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This journey is one of constant small adjustments. Nothing is ever static, no matter how long you've been eating this way. If something isn't working, you tweak it and make small changes until it works better.
- Wildgoose
Starflower

Postby Starflower » Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:44 pm

From the MWL thread:

JeffN wrote:Greetings everyone and Happy New Year!

I always look forward to checking in and seeing how everyone is doing especially each Saturday to see how everyone did for the week. Congratulations to each of you for your successes.

Over the last few weeks I was reading the recent threads on both the MWL group and the forums in general, and I have some comments I wanted to share with you that hopefully you will find beneficial.

All or none thinking

The MWL program is not a set of rules but guidelines to help you achieve your goals. The 10 points address the behaviors that are more likely to lead to “the passive overconsumption of calories." Remember, there are those who achieve success with just the regular program and some who find a happy medium between the two. You may need to follow all 10 of the 10 points 100% to achieve your goal, or you might need to follow a few of them all the time and a few of them some of the time. The question is, is what you are doing working for you. But you have to know yourself because as we have often seen here, venturing to far from the guidelines can lead to a lapse which might last for a while. Success is achieving your health goals through the application of the guidelines. Stephanie is a great example. She does not do all 10 perfectly but at a level that works for her and she now has almost 2.5 years at it.

Related links
- On all or none thinking.
https://www.drmcdougallforums.com/viewt ... 0c#p635568

- Clarifying the 50/50 plate.
https://www.drmcdougallforums.com/viewt ... 95#p631195

- On the Passive Overconsumption of Calories.
https://www.drmcdougallforums.com/viewt ... 22&t=37450

- Is longterm adherence possible?
viewtopic.php?p=634910#p634910

- Discussion on the ecological momentary assessment of dietary lapses across behavioral weight loss treatment: characteristics, predictors, and relationships with weight change
https://www.drmcdougallforums.com/viewt ... 67#p557267

- Lastly, If there was an 11th point, it would be to post before 3 PM ET on Saturday. Just another behavior that prioritizes your commitment to your success.

- On a similar note, the best time to come to the groups and post and share your recent experience is not only when things are going good but also when they are not. The group is here for you. No one will be shamed, scolded, reprimanded or ridiculed, only encouraged. As you may have noticed, Mark and Goose may be 2 of the most encouraging people with the most encouraging responses you are going to get anywhere. :)

To your good health!
Jeff
This journey is one of constant small adjustments. Nothing is ever static, no matter how long you've been eating this way. If something isn't working, you tweak it and make small changes until it works better.
- Wildgoose
Starflower

Postby Starflower » Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:03 pm

It was a fully compliant day, if still a little too much salt. Maybe I’ll stop looking for condiments. I like a lot of foods plain already. This comment got me thinking. Do I really need them, or is that just another ‘normal’ thing I think I have to have, but would be better off without? Some of the ideas in Mark’s answer are more along the lines of puréed or finely chopped vegetables. Those are the ones I’ll experiment with, adding no salt or sugar or anything else that can trigger eating more, primary to add some extra moisture to my starches.

Katydid wrote:I used to worry that I was eating too much starch. Then I was diagnosed with EE and had to go on the elimination diet - which is about as pure of a starch-based diet as you can get. I ate a TON of starch and cooked vegetables - and my weight dropped like a rock off a cliff. I got scary thin for a while. What I think happened, is that is that it wasn't the starch that made me struggle with my weight - it was all the condiments I was used to using. A little maple syrup here, some salsa and ketchup there, a bit of chutney, some homemade salad dressing, a little honey in my tea - it all added up. But forced onto a diet of unlimited amounts of plain, unprocessed brown rice, sweet potatoes, winter squash and a few cooked non-starchy fruits and vegetables...well, it really made me see that my ideas about "fattening" starches were wrong. It's not the starches, it's what you do with them. Sometimes it's better to have a meal of a plain old baked potato and a side of broccoli and get on with your life than fuss with an elaborate calorie-dense recipe - particularly when traveling. The cortisol generated from the stress of travel and family makes it easy enough to gain weight as it is!

Kate
- Wildgoose
Starflower

Postby Starflower » Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:37 pm

I’ve been doing well since my last post, completely on plan and feeling better. I finally got the salt under control. When I remember the pain I was in, the old foods aren’t very appealing. I’m grateful for all the good foods I can still have that don’t cause me pain. :)
- Wildgoose
Starflower

Postby Starflower » Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:15 pm

MWL thread post for 1/20

2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for desert. YES

3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts.  This includes gourmet sugars and salts too.  If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). YES

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES

A lot of things clicked by the end this week, including losing my cravings for high fat foods and salt. I found a few very easy recipes that I love. Cooking large batches of rice and quinoa helped keep me on track. Beginning yesterday, I increased my exercise time and variety, which I’m enjoying. I still need to add some strength training. Next week! :)

Wishing everyone a wonderful and healthy week! :)
- Wildgoose
Starflower

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:33 am

Hi Starflower, :)

You are doing terrific! ❤️ what you said about eating foods that don't cause pain. It never ceases to amaze me how good food choices can make us feel wonderful (and vice versa).

Hope that you have a fantastic week ahead.

Cheers,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby Starflower » Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:13 pm

VegSeekingFit wrote:Hi Starflower, :)

You are doing terrific! ❤️ what you said about eating foods that don't cause pain. It never ceases to amaze me how good food choices can make us feel wonderful (and vice versa).

Hope that you have a fantastic week ahead.

Cheers,
Stephanie

Thanks, Stephanie! :)

I hope you’re having an amazing week! :)
- Wildgoose
Starflower

Postby Starflower » Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:37 pm

MWL Post for 1/27

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). YES

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). NO

It was a very good week. I missed exercise one day when I was very tired. Staying completely on plan for a couple of weeks has made me feel a lot better. I can’t say I didn’t expect that, but I’m still amazed at my results. I have no desire to try any other program again. I think I’ve tried them all, lol. This one is the most effective and sustainable, hands down. Onward! :)

Mark, in answer to your questions, I can’t think of any changes. My hope is to see this group grow and thrive throughout 2024. It’s already a great place to be. Thank you to you and Wildgoose and Jeff for all that you do! :)

- Wildgoose
Starflower

Postby Starflower » Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:25 pm

I remember reading this story on Engine2 years ago. I’m grateful to find it here and be able to read it again sometimes.

https://drmcdougallforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=42240&p=437677&hilit=natala#p437677
- Wildgoose
Starflower

Postby Ejeff » Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:42 am

Starflower, so glad this program is working well for you. Thanks for sharing that link, it’s so very true we all just need to be kind to each other wherever we are in our journey to optimum health. Hope your week is great!

Erin
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby Starflower » Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:56 pm

Ejeff wrote:Starflower, so glad this program is working well for you. Thanks for sharing that link, it’s so very true we all just need to be kind to each other wherever we are in our journey to optimum health. Hope your week is great!

Erin

Hi Erin! :)

Thanks! I hope your week is going well! :)
- Wildgoose
Starflower

Postby Starflower » Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:58 pm

MWL post for 2/3

It was another good week. I’m enjoying lots of soups and experimenting with different pasta and vegetable recipes. Exercise is fitting into my schedule better. Onward! :)

- Wildgoose
Starflower

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:50 am

Hi Starflower! :)

Wow – it sounds like you are doing so great! ❤️

Have you found a favorite soup or are you continuing to experiment? There are lots of good recipes on the McD site that I love --- but also to just dump ingredients with some spices in the pot --- super simple if you use some (or all) frozen veggies (like the JeffN Longevity template).

I love the thread that you posted from Engine 2, but it is so sad to process how some people reacted.

Hope you have an amazing week (and enjoy some great soups)!

Best,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby Starflower » Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:12 pm

VegSeekingFit wrote:Hi Starflower! :)

Wow – it sounds like you are doing so great! ❤️

Have you found a favorite soup or are you continuing to experiment? There are lots of good recipes on the McD site that I love --- but also to just dump ingredients with some spices in the pot --- super simple if you use some (or all) frozen veggies (like the JeffN Longevity template).

I love the thread that you posted from Engine 2, but it is so sad to process how some people reacted.

Hope you have an amazing week (and enjoy some great soups)!

Best,
Stephanie

Hey Stephanie! Thanks! :)

I experimented with lentil stew, veggie stew and potato soup this week. I’ll share them after a little tweaking. Thanks for pointing me to longevity soup!

It is sad. I don’t know how I’d get along with out some of those ‘unacceptable’ foods!

Have a wonderful week! :)
- Wildgoose
Starflower

Postby Starflower » Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:40 pm

MWL post for 2/10

3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too.  If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). NO

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). NO

It was a fairly good week, but very stressful and busy. There were a couple of non-MWL choices. I can’t post a full ten as ‘yes’ this week, but everything was compliant according to the regular McDougall plan, at least. Onward! :)

Mark, I’m working on recipes for lentil stew and creamy potato soup. I’ll share them when they’re done. It’s fun! Thank you for your encouragement! :)

- Wildgoose
Starflower

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals