On the Road to Better Health

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: On the Road to Better Health

Postby Idgie » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:25 pm

Stephanie, the last time I went out to eat and didn't want to eat anything, I ordered bottled water and told everyone I was having blood tests in a few hours and wasn't allowed to eat. Sure, it was a lie, but it totally worked, so I suspect I'll be getting a lot of "labwork" done in the future.
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby VegSeekingFit » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:39 pm

Idgie wrote:Stephanie, the last time I went out to eat and didn't want to eat anything, I ordered bottled water and told everyone I was having blood tests in a few hours and wasn't allowed to eat. Sure, it was a lie, but it totally worked, so I suspect I'll be getting a lot of "labwork" done in the future.

Hi Idgie, Thank you!! This is genius and you better believe that I will borrow your idea when I can... Love it!! :-D

Cheers,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby VegSeekingFit » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:49 pm

Hi,

Wanted to capture Amy's great post with links to all kinds of recipe resources (from September MWL thread). Have definitely found a few to try. Funny, some didn't seem as appealing earlier on - or I would have tried them already. Tastes really do change.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=58531

Had a great walk today. We had lots of rain, but managed to time it to avoid getting drenched. :cool: Love walking outside more than on treadmill... thinking about how to adjust for the nastier weather. Last week did have 3 days that I walked treadmill - was able to listen to my podcasts - so not worried that I won't do it, just don't love it as much. I may put some gym time in here to switch it up a bit. Will be keeping to the AM walks - as I love getting in the exercise before the day. Had read somewhere a long time ago about thinking about exercise like brushing your teeth. It's just something you do. Period.

Successfully went out to eat yesterday (was with family so not as dicey from a relationship perspective). Got a huge salad and ate half of it - brought the other half home. Not the best salad ( iceberg lettuce, cucumber, tomato) - added pepper only …. but not the worst salad and was compliant.

Working on the 50 / 50 vegetable to starch ratio. Went shopping at WFM with my son yesterday. We both got "to go's" from the food bar section. I took the separated container and filled one small part with blueberries. The other small part with a grain mix (no oil, no condiments, did have raisins - but mine maybe had 3 raisins total). Then, filled the large part with various raw veggies - beets, peppers, tomato, green beans, corn, red onion, tri-colored carrots. Made a great meal.

Quote of the Day:
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Dr. Seuss

Happy McDougalling!
Stephanie

VegSeekingFit

Postby Mark Cooper » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:39 am

I hadn't thought of the food bar at Whole Foods as a place to have a meal out! Sounds great, I'll have to suggest it as an option the next time my family wants a meal away from home / takeaway dinner. MWL compliant restaurant meals that aren't just plain salads can be a real challenge, I've found my best bets in our area are Asian restaurants and Ruby Tuesday (they have a great salad bar and you can add a baked potato and steamed broccoli for a few dollars, though the potato does have salt).

Love that quote for the day!

Take care and be well!
Mark Cooper

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:32 am

VegSeekingFit wrote:. Had read somewhere a long time ago about thinking about exercise like brushing your teeth. It's just something you do. Period.

Happy McDougalling!
Stephanie

wow, the simplicity of that might just be what I need to ACTUALLY exercise :lol: since I brush my teeth every single day, but I keep waiting for an exercise regimen to come along that I JUST LOVE. Well, I don't JUST LOVE brushing my teeth. I do it to stay healthy.

Hmmm.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:50 pm

Mark Cooper wrote:I hadn't thought of the food bar at Whole Foods as a place to have a meal out! Sounds great, I'll have to suggest it as an option the next time my family wants a meal away from home / takeaway dinner. MWL compliant restaurant meals that aren't just plain salads can be a real challenge, I've found my best bets in our area are Asian restaurants and Ruby Tuesday (they have a great salad bar and you can add a baked potato and steamed broccoli for a few dollars, though the potato does have salt).

Love that quote for the day!

Take care and be well!

Hi Mark,

WFM can be a great place to eat - just have to be careful not to be tempted by abundance of vegan friendly food that contains a ton of oil... My meal last week was completely different than how I used to fill my tray...

Thanks for the tip on Ruby Tuesday. Have very few restaurants that I want to frequent. Also, usually find luck with Asian restaurants, but was really disappointed last week with one that didn't have steamed veggies on menu and refused to prep without oil or just serve plain rice. This restaurant is local to Chicago suburbs ...

Best to you!!
Stephanie

VegSeekingFit

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:52 pm

bunsofaluminum wrote:
VegSeekingFit wrote:. Had read somewhere a long time ago about thinking about exercise like brushing your teeth. It's just something you do. Period.

Happy McDougalling!
Stephanie

wow, the simplicity of that might just be what I need to ACTUALLY exercise :lol: since I brush my teeth every single day, but I keep waiting for an exercise regimen to come along that I JUST LOVE. Well, I don't JUST LOVE brushing my teeth. I do it to stay healthy.

Hmmm.

Hey Buns! :D

Yeah, that brushing your teeth is required, but hard to love... :lol: I honestly do love walking outside in the AM in nice weather... don't love walking on treadmill, but going to do it anyway... (wish I could get into this groove on resistance training too...)

Wishing you the bestl!! :-D

Cheers,
Stephanie

VegSeekingFit

Weekly results

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:10 pm

Hi,

So, a mixed bag for me this week on results.

Weight is up .8 lbs. to 112.4. I'm not unhappy with the number, just not readily correlating an upswing with my "compliance" this week. Anyway, not obsessed about fractions of a pound and am just keeping on.

On the positive side, have loved and continued to do AM walks. With a bit nastier weather, had to do one on the treadmill - and happily made it for an hour by listening to podcasts. The other six walks were for over an hour and were truly loved. (Gosh, I wish I lived somewhere warmer year round... )

Also, ate out twice - once at WFM and once at a dive type of bar/restaurant. Had compliant meals at both and maximized veggies. The dive bar had a decent (if boring) salad and I ate a potato when I got home.

Standard meals - I am looking to slowly but surely decrease calorie density by adding more veggies. Made and loved the Tomato, Corn & Bean Salad from this McD newsletter - recipe by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau. I didn't have enough fresh tomatoes so subbed out 1/2 c. of salsa for 1/2 c. tomatoes. Also made with black beans (will definitely try white). Did not add salt.
https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2005nl ... ecipes.htm

Standard breakfast is still the waffle potato and a few T. of beans / bean salad. Some days I also have fruit - like melon or berries.

Lunch is usually red lentil chili which I have to think that I'll never get sick of (ever). Then, I add another fruit (usually melon) and a couple of raw veggies (lots of tomatoes, bell peppers - but also try to add variety).

Dinner has been split pea soup or potato or rice with roasted or raw or a combo of veggies.

I bring raw fruit / veggies to work to snack on (as / if needed). I also keep McD beans / rice cup in my desk for emergencies. Have only had 2 other emergencies this year -- but had one this week. Not sure why hungry, but just cooked it up and ate it.

Quote of the Day:
"Don't give up
'cos you have friends
don't give up
you're not beaten yet
don't give up
I know you can make it good" - Peter Gabriel

VegSeekingFit

Postby moonlight » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:32 am

Hi Stephanie, I'm loving your positive attitude and your energy level. Hoping some of it rubs off on me this week! Keep up the good work. As a friend used to say to me: Go make me proud!! It would make me laugh every time she said it.
moonlight

Postby psyklon » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:03 am

bunsofaluminum wrote:

Happy McDougalling!
Stephanie

Hmmm.

I'm also struck by that view of exercise as something you just do. Thanks for sharing!

I've been in a good rhythm for a few days because I finally downloaded one of those personal trainer exercise that you can just turn on, crank out, and not have to plan or think about at all. :wink:
psyklon

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:02 pm

moonlight wrote:Hi Stephanie, I'm loving your positive attitude and your energy level. Hoping some of it rubs off on me this week! Keep up the good work. As a friend used to say to me: Go make me proud!! It would make me laugh every time she said it.

Hi Moonlight!! :-D

Thank you so much for the support - it means a lot!! Love what your friend used to say to you. So important to have friends like that! :)

I know you have the tools to meet your goals. Rooting for you and hope that you have much laughter and success in the weeks to come....

Cheers,
Stephanie

VegSeekingFit

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:12 pm

psyklon wrote:
bunsofaluminum wrote:

Happy McDougalling!
Stephanie

Hmmm.

I'm also struck by that view of exercise as something you just do. Thanks for sharing!

I've been in a good rhythm for a few days because I finally downloaded one of those personal trainer exercise that you can just turn on, crank out, and not have to plan or think about at all. :wink:

HI Psyklon! :-D

Love your personal trainer exercises that you can just do w/o thought!! Awesome!!

Cheers,
Stephanie

VegSeekingFit

SNAP Recipe

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:28 pm

Hi,

So, one of my goals for this month was to better do the 50 / 50 veggies to starch.

The best way that I thought to do this was to follow one of the SNAP recipes (as written).

I loved it, but I think that I deviated a bit and increased caloric density (which I am trying to learn).

I am cooking this for only me. Nobody else here will touch some of my meals ( I offer always, but know where there may be an interest and always make those things...)...

So, I LOVED this recipe - made 1/2 of Jeff Novick's Mexican Fiesta as follows:

28 oz. NSA crushed tomatoes (recipe sounded more like diced, but didn't have enough)
1 15 oz. can NSA Black beans
14 oz. frozen peppers / onions - TJ's fire roasted
1/4 lb. frozen corn
2 c. brown rice (OH BOY, this is where I should have gone with 1-1.25 c.)... SO NOT COMPLIANT!!!

I'm just trying to get better at increasing veggies / starch ratio. I'm not a voume eater - so above recipe gave me 3 hearty meals to enjoy. Going to continue these and try to not add more starch than proscribed. For what I made, very good!! :D

Cheers to all!
Stephanie

VegSeekingFit

Posts not submitted...

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:01 pm

So, two of my responses to a thoroughly misogynistic post on the Exercise forum are not posting. Last poster said it better than I could have. I just wonder why... when not trying to incite anything and just politely defending women in general... felt personally attacked and defensive.

Edited to soften language and to state that the thread in question has been removed. Thanks to the powers that be. :)
Last edited by VegSeekingFit on Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VegSeekingFit

Postby Idgie » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:03 pm

I muted the person I was finding problematic, so I haven't seen his responses, but appreciated that I wasn't the only one having a problem with his posts.
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals