Buns Again

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Buns Again

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:04 am

Thought I'd get this out just to check.

Program outlined in the MWL book, page 60.

1. Eliminate All Animal Foods
:mrgreen:
2. Eliminate All Oils
3. Eliminate All High Fat Plant Foods: Nuts, Nut Butters, Seeds, Seed Butters, Avocados, Coconut, & Olives.
4. Eliminate All Flour Products
saltines ;-)
5. Eat Whole Grains and Potatoes
6. Eat Legumes
7. Make Green & Yellow Vegetables One-Half to One-Third of your meal
8. Eat Uncooked Foods
9. Restrict Fresh Fruit to No More Than Two Servings a Day, and Avoid Dried Fruit, Fruit Puree, and Fruit Juice
10. Use Simple Sugar Sparingly
otter pops ;-)
Get some exercise every day

Coming up: a family camping trip with lots of off-plan foods available. Wylie is bbq'ing for the Friday night meal. Meat. Lots of meat...which I will avoid, no problem. He's also going to make the baked beans, which I wanted to do but he's in charge :roll: and he plans on putting bacon in it. Which I have eaten, picking out the pieces of bacon. But cooking it in with the beans adds animal fat.

so I'll prolly bring a can of Bush's baked beans for myself. I lost 6 lbs in July, and the trend is downward now. Besides...bacon fat? :? Ooh, and some big russets, along with Things That Grill Well.

I need to make up my mind about how the meals are going to go. My girls and I are doing the Saturday brunch. French toast, which I can make me a few slices using that banana vegan French toast recipe. I can blend up all the liquid ingredients and carry it with me in a jar :nod: And then I need to think about the other meals. It's family, and they know I'm a veg-head so they won't be offended or weirded out if I eat a baked potato with whatever (salad, beans, salsa) on top of it.

At any rate, planning ahead for sure. That is next weekend. This weekend, some furniture shopping and a visit to the jeweler

Image YAY!
Last edited by bunsofaluminum on Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Anna Green » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:47 pm

Buns Buns Buns! So happy for you, you wonderful lady!
Anna Green

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:47 am

Anna Green wrote:Buns Buns Buns! So happy for you, you wonderful lady!

thanks, Anna! I'm pretty excited. We found a band for me that matches the one Wylie's grandfather wore. I'm picking up the re-sized ring on Wednesday :nod: They are simple, unembellished yellow gold bands. My VERY favorite style of wedding band. Oy I can't believe I'm getting married! :eek: But we've been living together for over two years, and our relationship is kind of exciting. I mean, we're easy with each other, and we've had our share of ups and downs and have come to treasure what we have. Wylie is an absolutely stellar listener, and he remembers. It's kind of stunning, actually. You know, people get this idea in their heads of what a "sensitive man" is like. Tender, and soft spoken, and easy-going. Well let me tell you something, Wylie is a sensitive man who is stalwart, cranky, frank, and sometimes bossy.

Prime example (when I first realized this guy was a keeper)...shortly after we hooked up, he wanted to come spend the night at my house, but he'd had a drink and didn't want to drive, so I picked him up. I had my Queen CD blasting. It was the first thing I purchased for myself after my marriage fell apart, and I called it my "divorce CD". At some point a few weeks earlier, I had mentioned it to Wylie just off-handed in a conversation. Well, I picked him up, music blaring away and he said (gruffly) "Why are you playing this music?"

I was all "Because I wanted to rock n roll" thinking "Geez dude, ease up"...he said "But WHY?" and turned it down. "It's your DIVORCE CD. What happened to you today that you had to have THIS music?" And that stopped me in my tracks. It just so happened that my mom and my oldest son had been in a fight over something that day. I had heard from both of them, and I WAS upset...but I hadn't put it together that I chose my DIVORCE CD to try and match the emotional crap I was experiencing.

Now what kind of man 1) remembers that bit of detail just from a casual mention weeks earlier and 2) ACTUALLY recognizes what it might mean if a person PLAYS their divorce CD at high volume in the car? And he is that way with lots of things, but he's not this tender "gaze into your eyes and softly touch your hand while you speak" type AT ALL. In fact, he kind of hates intimate pillow talk. But boy does he love to snuggle :) and he's got a romantic side that comes out once in a while, without being mushy. And some days he's grumpy and impatient, or I'm flighty and inconsiderate and we tick each other off, and duke it out, and make up. It's a REAL relationship. Like, foundations in REALITY. I drive him crazy and he sometimes hurts my feelings...and we hold hands when we walk, and he spoons me in bed, and he tells me to be quiet when I get up because he isn't a morning person, and I tell him to watch his tone of voice...it's wonderful! and quite challenging. And so worth it!

So we got the wedding bands done, and also found a VERY NICE bedroom set, 18 months no interest, very affordable payments, we'll pay it off before 18 months, no problem.

Isn't that nice? Six drawers under the bed, a five drawer chest, eight drawer dresser with mirror, bedside tables. A headboard with little shelves for glasses or phone. A pretty style, lovely gray color. :nod: And the bed is tall, which is important to us.

Have to tell on my mom here...the bathroom. So, my mom is a "see the trees, not the forest" type of person. She wants all the details absolutely perfect, and she asks dozens and dozens of questions. She's a sweet lady with a bright, cheery personality who wants to control all the minutiae of any given project. She'll drive you crazy. And we have Wylie, who doesn't like to be told what to do, who is pitching in with a lot of the work on this bathroom project, and biting his tongue and steaming out the ears with her micro-managing.

Well, she had it in her head exactly where the wall was to be, even though putting it where she wanted it would mean some off-center arrangements. Wylie and my brother both tried to explain why having the wall where they thought would be best, but she wouldn't have it and put her foot down. The wall is GOING to be HERE. PERIOD!

so that's how the guy roughed it in. And the man who is going to be tiling the shower came to measure on Saturday and said "wait, this will mean an extra something something over my estimated price" ... Wylie pointed out to my mom where THEY wanted the wall, vs where SHE wanted the wall and told her "it's going to cost you extra"

She said "oh" :roll: and the shower is going to be VAST. So. Freaking. Huge. also, the toilet will be slightly off center in its space. Because my mom wanted the wall HERE, by George.

Well, I figure if my mom and Wylie kill each other during this bathroom project, I'll have the house to myself...but I'll need to make sure their life insurance policies are up to date :lol: But once we get settled in, we'll enjoy having a yard and a quiet neighborhood. I'm looking forward to it, though we do have our work cut out for us, that's for sure.

My eating remains really good. I think it's just a thing that on the weekend, it's likely that I'll eat a meal with slightly higher fat content, but I don't go berserk, and meals overall are right on target so I'm not going to stress over it. And maybe some day I'll get to the point of saying "hell no! I don't eat any added fat AT ALL" but until then, if all my meals during the week are on plan, and one meal on the weekend tends to be a bit higher in fat...well, that's how it is. And this past weekend the "higher fat" meal was a scrumptious panini sandwich at The Corner Bakery. It tasted real good after a long day of tootling around looking at furniture and stuff. But it had pesto as an ingredient, and it was grilled. :|

Oh...hahahahah I almost forgot. The scale shows me down another pound! woot!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:01 am

Oy I'm tired of people who go through their day riding their emotions. Said hi to my boss this morning, she ignored me. She's going through something right now, I get that. She spent yesterday crying and being very quiet. I'm not trying to pry it out, whatever it is, but even when you're really sad why be rude?

My mom going off the top over every little thing. Not mean, just overreacting to things. Not thinking of her surroundings, or her impact on the people around her...(Family story: one afternoon, the entire household went instantly and alarmingly on high alert when my mom started screaming and shouting "no! Oh no!" from the basement. We went running. What on EARTH happened? Is she hurt? Did she find a dead body? Did a rat run through the room?

No. They cancelled Taxi. The TV show. Yeah, that's how my mom do.)

I think she freaks out Wylie a little bit...so of course, HE's glum. Pete's sakes, people.

Anyway, still going strong on the compliance. My new love of the morning is corn meal mush. YUMMY! I always make a double batch and the second serving solidifies into Polenta. :-D which makes me happy.

Car in the shop means I'm taking the bus again, and that means a few blocks of walking, and THAT means a sore ankle. I gotta get this weight off, ease up on the ole foot bones (and knee bones, too). The HEAT though. whew!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby moonlight » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:48 am

bunsofaluminum wrote: still going strong on the compliance.

:D Yay, You!!
moonlight

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:06 am

moonlight wrote:
bunsofaluminum wrote: still going strong on the compliance.

:D Yay, You!!

thanks, sugar!

Just going through the guidelines...see where I'm at. We ate at Sizzler for dinner last night, after putting in some work in the basement and shopping for all the fittings for the bathroom (TP holder, towel racks, etc) OMG Wylie was so HAWT! Standing there in his jeans and work shirt, talking to the handy man, measuring things, talking about manly stuff...turns me on...whew!

anyway I love Sizzler for their salad bar, but I used regular salad dressing, about 1 TBSP, and I ate a scoop of pasta salad that I know had added oil. The green salad I had over the top of a plain baked potato. :nod: it's a delicious meal. The pasta salad was my seconds.

Program outlined in the MWL book, page 60.

1. Eliminate All Animal Foods
2. Eliminate All Oils
salad dressing :oops:
3. Eliminate All High Fat Plant Foods: Nuts, Nut Butters, Seeds, Seed Butters, Avocados, Coconut, & Olives.
4. Eliminate All Flour Products
saltines ;-)
5. Eat Whole Grains and Potatoes
6. Eat Legumes
7. Make Green & Yellow Vegetables One-Half to One-Third of your meal
8. Eat Uncooked Foods
9. Restrict Fresh Fruit to No More Than Two Servings a Day, and Avoid Dried Fruit, Fruit Puree, and Fruit Juice
10. Use Simple Sugar Sparingly
no otter pops! :mrgreen:
Get some exercise every day

Can't wait to get my car back, hopefully today. Feeling really sleepy today.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:54 am

Oh for freaks sakes. I weighed this morning, and up three lbs. :\
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby moonlight » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:23 am

I hate it when that happens! I bet it’s mostly sodium! Last night was wicked for MWL for me. I bet I consumed 1800-2000 calories. Geez. I’m eating oatmeal this morning and making lentil soup.
moonlight

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:37 pm

Hey Buns,

Just keep on at it... Don't let the scale monster bring you down...

Hope you have a great weekend!!
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:56 am

Okay, I'm back! :) Fun camping weekend, with some rich choices of food, but nothing overboard. I didn't gain any weight at all (haven't lost anything in a week, either)

Then three days of PTO, where I got to be home, all alone, with no one else around and my own schedule and agenda. Got some boxes packed, and got PLENTY of Netflix watched :D We've still got a lot to do, and I want to focus on where we're moving TO, then really put my energy into getting stuff packed up. Stuff. Pfft. So much dang STUFF. One huge triumph, staying home alone with no one there to see, I did NOT simply eat and eat, or even graze, nor really even open up the fridge and stand there going "What's good for food"

Wishing this move were over. Stress levels are high. Both Wylie and I are feeling anxious. My hormones have kicked in so my anxiety is manifesting in weepiness and my heart is kinda pounding and a bit irregular (my CLASSIC menopause symptom...if I get no other symptoms, this one makes up for them ALL)...woke up thinking about the renovation/remodel, about the big empty room, about all our FREAKING STUFF.

Meanwhile, thankful for the energy and stamina that comes with this amazing way of eating :nod: though it's going to be different, doing this way of eating in my mom's kitchen. :| *deep cleansing breath*
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:27 am

I've been listening to some McDougall and other interviews and lectures on YouTube to get my interest and mental involvement more fired up. More than halfway tempted to go 100% potatoes for a while. Maybe 30 days? Just to get myself to a place where food is for fuel and not so much for pleasure. Isn't there a dude who ate nothing but potatoes for a full year? One of the things he says is, he got to where he didn't crave anything...just ate to support his physical functions. Imagine not having to think up what's for food...because it IS potatoes. Period. Every time. Similar to the one time I did a prolonged fast...10 years or more ago now...and how freeing it was NOT to have to shop or cook.

Well, eating potatoes for every meal I WOULD have to cook, but shopping would be a breeze! :lol: I imagine it would utterly transform one's relationship with food.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:48 pm

bunsofaluminum wrote:I've been listening to some McDougall and other interviews and lectures on YouTube to get my interest and mental involvement more fired up. More than halfway tempted to go 100% potatoes for a while. Maybe 30 days? Just to get myself to a place where food is for fuel and not so much for pleasure. Isn't there a dude who ate nothing but potatoes for a full year? One of the things he says is, he got to where he didn't crave anything...just ate to support his physical functions. Imagine not having to think up what's for food...because it IS potatoes. Period. Every time. Similar to the one time I did a prolonged fast...10 years or more ago now...and how freeing it was NOT to have to shop or cook.

Well, eating potatoes for every meal I WOULD have to cook, but shopping would be a breeze! :lol: I imagine it would utterly transform one's relationship with food.

Hi Buns!

I loved listening to some of the interviews with Spudfit and he has some motivating pics on his site... So, he ate potatoes for a year and there was also the Chris Voigt from US who did it for 60 days. He ate a ton of potatoes!! http://www.20potatoesaday.com/

I did a 5 day once of the potatoes - got a bit bored (but that's not all bad).

Wishing you luck if you decide to go there!!! Would definitely make shopping easy!!! :lol:

Cheers,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby bunsofaluminum » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:19 am

I remember him! He was the president of the potato commission or something like that… And he did his 100% potatoes for 60 days, over the period of Thanksgiving. And he created a little turkey shaped mashed potato thing to eat on Thanksgiving LOL. His blood sugars went down, he lost weight… He was more fit and healthy than he had ever been, eating nothing but potatoes. It might be just what is needed
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:19 am

Busy weekend. Our bedroom set was delivered and installed, we found a place with some luscious carpet and set up a time for them to come measure and give us an estimate, and we FINALLY found a kitchen shelving system that worked and looks good. Lots of the slow walking and frequent standing that hammers my feet. Thank GOD we finally did find that kitchen shelving. I was done three weeks ago, with something from Ikea. But Wylie thought it was too "garage" and not "kitchen" enough. And there it was, at The Container Store, on the first day of their 25% off all shelving sale. :nod: It is in the kitchen and anchored to the wall.

Eating is okay. Yesterday was REALLY stressful so I ate some Milk Duds for comfort. :\ but that was really the only off plan food I ate, and I had maybe a dozen of them...not too bad considering

Today, nothing sounds good. I'm bored with food, not in the mood to cook anything and there's nothing "eating out" that sounds good. I'll find something at a close by restaurant for lunch, and then the plan is to start a potato thing. Nothing but potatoes for a while. In fact, potatoes sounds good right now! :lol: but I didn't have anything cooked and didn't feel like doing so. Meh. But I have lots of potatoes at home, ready for me to do something.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby moonlight » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:14 pm

Congrats on your bedroom and kitchen finds! This sounds so exciting. Thanks for sharing with us. :)

Good luck on going all potato for a while. I've been thinking about doing the same thing, but not ready yet. I wanted to recommend the microwave for your potatoes. I usually turn my nose up at actually cooking in the microwave. I've really just used it for reheating. I discovered how easy and quick cooking potatoes can be! And, they are very tasty. I put the potatoes in a quart size Pyrex dish with about 2 tbsp. water and cover. Anywhere from 10 - 14 minutes depending on the size of the potatoes works.
moonlight

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals