Grit and Determination

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Grit and Determination

Postby moonlight » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:21 pm

JeffN posted: Here are the 10 common mistakes in behavior change. He (Dr. Liam) does not have an in-depth article on it yet, which he may eventually produce:

1.Focus on outcome vs habit
2. Too vague a goal
3.Unrealistic Expectations
4.Underestimating Power of Environment
5.Lacking Support/Accountability
6.Not Tracking Progress
7.Thinking Just a Little Bit is “Okay”
8.Neglecting Other Core Areas of Life
9.Allowing Thoughts/Feelings to Guide Behavior
10.Giving Up

This will be what I ponder over the next few days as I develop some good habits to help me achieve nirvana on earth. :D
moonlight

Postby RiceNBeans » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:43 am

moonlight wrote:
JeffN posted: Here are the 10 common mistakes in behavior change. He (Dr. Liam) does not have an in-depth article on it yet, which he may eventually produce:

1.Focus on outcome vs habit
2. Too vague a goal
3.Unrealistic Expectations
4.Underestimating Power of Environment
5.Lacking Support/Accountability
6.Not Tracking Progress
7.Thinking Just a Little Bit is “Okay”
8.Neglecting Other Core Areas of Life
9.Allowing Thoughts/Feelings to Guide Behavior
10.Giving Up

This will be what I ponder over the next few days as I develop some good habits to help me achieve nirvana on earth. :D

Hi moonlight! Good list. Personally, #7 and #9 I'd combine and call the devil on my shoulder. That is, until I adopted a kitten who likes climbing on shoulders, so now there's no room for the devil (or the angel on the other side). Just a kitten... who is now a much larger cat. Come to think about it, not much room for my neck anymore either. Looking ahead, maybe in my future headless state this lifestyle journey will be all the easier. Score! Happy Friday.
RiceNBeans

Postby Idgie » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:13 pm

RNB, I hope you never leave this forum. You crack me up.
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby moonlight » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:20 pm

Thanks, RiceNBeans! Good luck with keeping your head! I'll be rooting for you!

Pondering #1 is working for me - if two days is the beginning of a habit!

Today I made the Baja Soup from the MWL cookbook. Very good.
B: bulgur w/ blueberries and fat-free raspberry dressing
L: sweet potato and veggies
D: lentils, bulgur, zucchini, and salad
snacks: popcorn and watermelon and banana
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:08 am

Simple habit. Focus on habit not outcome. Still working - day 3 WaterRower 30 minutes
I rowed twice today!

B: hominy and apple
L: Baja soup and salad
snack: popcorn
D: lentil soup, sweet potato, broccoli
snacks: watermelon and popcorn
Last edited by moonlight on Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moonlight

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:29 pm

moonlight wrote:Simple habit. Focus on habit not outcome. Still working - day 3 WaterRower 30 minutes

Awesome, Moonlight!!! :-D
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby moonlight » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:06 pm

Last night in the middle of the night I woke up and ate approximately 1000 calories... I had taken Xanax to help me sleep because I couldn't fall asleep and I had to be up early. I'm beginning to wonder if Xanax can somehow trigger eating. I tried Ambien for a while and it definitely made me crave food in the middle of the night. I guess I need to find another sleep inducer... I wish I could make myself stay in my bedroom when this happens but I feel like I turn into a zombie that's controlling me. Sometimes when I eat during the night I'm in better control and I eat MWL compliant food. Last night I craved crackers and cheese.

So, I didn't eat until I was hungry today. That was around 5:00. I had some Baja soup and a sweet potato.

The Beck Diet Solution book arrived today. I look forward to reading it and hopefully getting some new effective strategies! I'm still focused on getting in exercise. I walked 2 miles today. I'll get back on my routine tomorrow morning. I didn't have time this morning before going to work.
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:11 pm

Today I feel back on track. I exercised this morning. Simple. Focused. Habit.

The Beck Diet Solution book has arrived. I like what I've read so far. I think it's going to be a great book in which to learn strategies. That's what I've been wanting. Favorite quote so far: "I'm so glad I'm not eating that!"

B: sweet potato with mixed veggies
L: Baja soup and lentils
D: sweet potato, Brussel sprouts, and salad
snack: watermelon and some potato and veggies left over from dinner
Last edited by moonlight on Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
moonlight

Postby Suey51 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:12 am

Thanks for sharing that list - it's great! Well done for getting back on track. Your grit and determination are an inspiration xx
Suey51

Postby moonlight » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:27 am

Thanks, Sue. :D Ditto to you about the inspiration. I so appreciate that you are keeping a maintenance journal and sharing it with us. Such a journey! So worth the effort!

The first thing I did today was exercise. I've exercised 6 days in a row now. It has helped to set a designated time to exercise. Right now, first thing in the morning is working real well. And, I've been staying on MWL plan since the scary night-time eating a few days ago. Batch cooking has helped. I've had salad every day. I look forward to having it with my evening meal. The only reason I'm consistently eating salad is because I chopped up all the ingredients and have them ready to go in the fridge.

I'm starting the Beck plan today. Six weeks of daily strategies to help build healthy habits around eating. Woot Woot!!
moonlight

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:47 pm

moonlight wrote:The first thing I did today was exercise. I've exercised 6 days in a row now. It has helped to set a designated time to exercise. Right now, first thing in the morning is working real well. And, I've been staying on MWL plan since the scary night-time eating a few days ago. Batch cooking has helped. I've had salad every day. I look forward to having it with my evening meal. The only reason I'm consistently eating salad is because I chopped up all the ingredients and have them ready to go in the fridge.

I'm starting the Beck plan today. Six weeks of daily strategies to help build healthy habits around eating. Woot Woot!!

Wow, Moonlight!! :-D Congratulations on your exercise streak!!! Awesome!! I did the same thing (with the setting of a time) -- and "wobbled" a bit at first, but got the hang of it -- and love that AM exercise. Helps with energy too...

Love your thoughts on batch cooking and chopping salad ingredients. Reminds me of Doug Lisle's podcast on being prepared - maybe from March? So helpful to plan.

You are rocking it!!

Cheers,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby moonlight » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:07 am

Thank you, Stephanie, for the encouragement! You are rocking it, too!! Congratulations! Yes, I LOVE getting into a regular exercise routine. I feel so much better when I exercise! It helps with mood, energy, and appetite suppression. I had forgotten about how it helps regulate appetite. I think it's helping with the night-time eating issue I've been facing.

I've been MWL compliant most of the week. Wednesday night I ate at a restaurant. I felt good about ordering my Mexican dinner with NO CHEESE and NO SOUR CREAM. That has been a struggle at times. I conveniently "forget" to tell the waiter. HaHa. I drank water instead of a beer. All very good choices, but I ate chips, though. The rest of the week has been very good with choosing only MWL food. I need to concentrate on eating only when hungry. During the evening mostly, I eat out of habit or just craving. That's such a tough habit to break,,, I'm much better about stopping eating when I'm full but the snacking habit is a tough one. Hopefully, over the next 6 weeks, while doing the Beck program, I'll get that habit changed.

Favorite or most useful quote from the Beck program is still I'm so glad I'm not eating that! I've used this thought several times when I've considered going off plan. I'll have to try it the next time chips are on the table in the Mexican restaurant!

Today's exercise is hiking (Yeeha!) and some gardening.
moonlight

Postby Idgie » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:32 am

Good job! My go-to Beck quote is "Not an option!" I kind of wish I were managing to exercise, but I'm not and I'm not going to be mean to myself about it. My focus right now is MWL food, and that's taking a lot of mental energy, so for now, I'll call it good, but I hope I get to where you are sooner than later!
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby moonlight » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:00 pm

Hey, Idgie, Yes, don't beat yourself up about the exercise. You'll find a time when it's something you want to do. I go in and out of a regular exercise routine. When I get in the rhythm I'm always amazed at how good it makes me feel all the time, not just after I'm done. I don't do high intensity. Just steady. Today I easily walked 5 miles in the mountains with barely breaking a sweat.

I love your Beck quote, too. My two new favorites are to give myself credit and "to think like a thin person". It feels really good to celebrate my good choices and feel my body as being thin.

Batch cooking this weekend:
Another batch of Baja soup
Grandpa's beanloaf
Mashed potatoes
salad fixings
chopped veggies ready to cook
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:08 am

This weekend I got exercise both days. I exercised yesterday too. Hopefully, forming a habit!

MWL eating plans have not been 100% compliant. Saturday I had sweet potato fries and hamburger bun with my veggie burger. I also ate a fried apple pie... I hate writing this stuff down! Last night I had 2 margaritas, cheese sauce, and corn chips. Then during the night I woke up and ate a few crackers and cheese. I'll suffer with cravings but hopefully I'm back on plan. Think like a thin person. I didn't over eat last night and I'm waiting until noon to eat today. Saturday's big meal was after a 5 mile hike. Still should not have eaten what I did... hanging with a friend who was eating a cheddar cheese bacon burger and fries. Still, I gave into following along... not that there would have been any judgements on her part if I had chosen a more healthy meal.

Positive actions yesterday: I went grocery shopping, came home and prepped veggies for easy salad fixings. I also cooked several veggies so they are ready to be reheated and eaten this week. I have Baja soup, cooked beans, cooked veggies and potatoes, and salad in the refrigerator. Hopefully I'll make some good choices the rest of the week.

This morning I went to the sleep center to follow up on my sleep apnea condition. Reports from the CPAP machine are all good. She said when I lose another 10-20 lbs. I could have another sleep study to see if the sleep apnea has been treated with weight loss. That's great news. The doctor prescribed a drug to help me sleep. It's not a controlled substance and I can take it as needed. Hopefully it will help with the night-time eating.

Today's eats:
WW pasta artichoke bowl w/ mushrooms and kale and other veggies
Tonight: I've got the Grandpa's Eatloaf in the oven! Plan to have mashed potatoes and salad

I've been hungry this afternoon but just trying to get busy doing something else. I'm trying to eat less today because I ate more calories than I really wanted to yesterday. (Trying to think like a thin person :D )

I'm considering applying for a job that I saw posted today. It scares me to put myself out there! Interviews with several people, give a job talk presentation... I'm 60 years young/old. Do people really hire older people to work? I'm in the process of applying for my retirement from the school system. One thought I had about it all was that I'm glad I've been losing weight. I'll feel more confident in the job interviews - if I decide to go for it! What could it hurt, right?!
moonlight

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals