Nomikins On the Path

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Nomikins puts herself FIRST

Postby Caroveggie » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:59 pm

I'm sorry for your loss Nomikins. Thanks for helping me in the past with my running, your advice was incredibly helpful. It's good to see you have a journal, I'll be following along.
Caroveggie

Postby nomikins » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:18 am

I made gnocchi yesterday and channeled my inner Italian granny. It was fun. Unfortunately, I cooked them too long and found myself with a pile of glop, a lump of potato goodness. Instead of accepting defeat, I mixed it into the tomato and white bean ragout and called it a stew. DH and I devoured the whole thing. It wasn't pretty, but it was deee-lish-us!
nomikins

Postby kittyadventures » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:36 am

Sigh I love Gnocchi... Now that I am gluten free I haven't had it in ages.

:crybaby:

and I just went and watched a video of how to make it home made... so simple ..

What do you use to replace your egg yolks?
Who knew an Apple a day, really would keep the Doctor away!
"Be the change you want to see in the world"--Gandhi.

http://www.kittyadventures.wordpress.com

Days in a row of exercise: 9
kittyadventures

Postby nomikins » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:20 am

Kitty, just try using gluten free brown rice flour.

The recipe just called for potatoes, flour and a pinch of salt. Gnocchi does not need eggs.
nomikins

Postby sksamboots » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:07 am

I'm so glad you are here. Thank you Thank you Thank you!! :D :nod:
sksamboots

Postby Chile » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:00 pm

Nomikins, you're on my mind today as I work through about 5 pounds of eggplant. Why? Because I'm making Italian recipes! I just finished cooking the Eggplant Spaghetti Sauce from the New McDougall Cookbook. That will probably be dinner tonight. And I've got most of the hard work done for Caponata but I needed to take a break before chopping and sauteing the onion, garlic, and celery to be cooked with the big mess of grilled eggplant and bell peppers, quart of chopped tomatoes, my brine-cured olives, and herbs.

The dehydrator's also got 4 trays of sliced and blanched eggplant drying in it because I was told they rehydrate very nicely in winter soups.

I've never tried making gnocchi but it sounds tasty. I'm debating if I want to be fancy and make bruschetta to go with the spaghetti tonight since our basil is still going in the garden. (And I have local organic tomatoes and garlic on hand.) I'd invite you for dinner but it's kind of a long journey for ya. :lol:
Chile

Postby Loveskale » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:39 pm

I love eggplant. I usually put it in Indian food, though. :)
My recipes are posted at: http://www.Flickr.com/Loveskale
Loveskale

Postby nomikins » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:02 am

OMG, Chile, YUM. Hope everything turned out wonderfully.

There are a bunch of recipes for eggplant "bacon" that can be made with the dehydrator. Been wanting to try that for some time. I'll have to venture to the back 40 and see if there are any eggplants back there.

Loveskale, I love Indian food with eggplant as well. Only 7AM and I'm already salivating!
nomikins

Postby WeeSpeck » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:18 am

Hi Nomikins,

Welcome back! It is great to be reading you again. I am so sorry for your recent losses. Your new born commitment though brings great inspiration to these boards. So, glad you are back posting again. I'll be following along.
--\--@ Nancy @--/--

I am but a wee speck in the big picture of the universe.
WeeSpeck

Postby nomikins » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:57 am

I got out and actually RAN a few steps today! WOO HOO! Did a run/walk anywhere from one to three minutes of running at a time, with a one minute walk break. Only two miles, because we have lots to do today. I'm glad to be getting back to it, that's for sure! :D
nomikins

Postby StarchBeet » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:15 am

OMG I may have pickled my pancreas and kidneys :crybaby:

I can use the search engine but does anyone have a link to the threads where a few people share a lot of great recipes of gluten free cooking? I had it but can't find it now.
StarchBeet

Postby Chile » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:43 pm

Way to go on the run, Nomikins!
Chile

Postby Loveskale » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:37 pm

Yes, way to go Nomikins!
My recipes are posted at: http://www.Flickr.com/Loveskale
Loveskale

Postby Marla » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:49 pm

Go Nomikins! You will be running up a storm in no time! Of course you are being super smart and building up slowly. Nothing worse than getting injured and having to stop training for a while (been there, done that).
Marla

Postby nomikins » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:56 pm

Thanks to all who stop by and read/comment. I'm reading you folks, too, just a busy time right now. I'll try to start commenting at your journal when I can.

OK, so quickly.... Had a so-so weekend. Saturday: Drank some beer (and liked it), ate some food (some on plan, some off), did some exercising, yardwork and cleaning out of my FIL's house. That last part was tough. We all just had to shut down emotionally to get through it. However, it really hit my DH later in the evening on Saturday as we sat by the bonfire and drank our beers. He is really missing his dad a lot right now. Makes me so sad.... :crybaby: We are getting through. Grief pops in when it wants to, that's for sure.

Sunday: music festival all day in Carrboro, NC, saw lots of bands in various venues around town. I was a good girl and did not drink any beer, only water. Ate dinner at a restaurant and had a lovely salad with a small amount of marinated tofu.

Got a great night's rest and telecommuting today. Feeling pretty good and looking forward to more running tomorrow AM.

My mom is going to come down from NJ later this week. She loves McDougally food, so she'll be in for a treat!
nomikins

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals