Where To Buy Curry?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Where To Buy Curry?

Postby DenverGuy » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:19 am

I love curry. I have checked stores but they all have oil in the sauce. I have also looked online but haven't been able to find out out to buy or make basic curry sauce. Any suggestions?
Thanks.
DenverGuy

Re: Where To Buy Curry?

Postby Plumerias » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:46 am

Good morning,

Could you be more specific as to what "curry" means to you please? Many cultures have curry and they're different.
Plumerias

Postby Jan66 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:21 am

One that I have found (a bit high in sodium) is a brand called Mae Ploy. It's a Thai yellow curry paste and the only one of their curry pastes that's vegan. It's all natural, no preservatives and contains: Garlic, lemongrass, salt, shallots, galangal, dried red chili, coriander, kaffir lime peel, curry powder, cumin, cinnamon, turmeric, cardamom and nutmeg. I found it in the international foods section at my local grocery store.
Jan66

Postby michaelswarm » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:04 pm

You can approach making your own curry. Start with simple ginger garlic paste. Blend equal amounts of ginger and garlic with just enough water or lime juice to spin blender. Keeps well in refrigerator. Use a couple tablespoons for curries. Can also use to flavor soup or stew. Then take your curry in whatever direction you want. You can also add turmeric and chili to the paste. Toast cumin, coriander and chilis, maybe clove, cardamom and cinnamon. Add lemongrass, peanut, etc. It all starts with ginger garlic paste.
michaelswarm

Postby Daydream » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:14 pm

My favorite curry powder is "Sweet Curry" from Penzeys Spices. It has no salt. I like it because it isn't too spicy hot (my mouth can't tolerate the burning sensation if spices are too spicy hot) and I like that it has no sodium in it. The ingredients in it are:
turmeric, coriander, cumin, fenugreek, ginger, nutmeg, fennel, cinnamon, white & black pepper, cardamom, cloves and cayenne.

Penzeys also has other curry powders that are more spicy hot if you are interested in those.

Sweet Curry is here:
https://www.penzeys.com/online-catalog/ ... p-108/pd-s
Daydream

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:28 pm

Are you interested in Indian curry or Thai curry? Actually, curry is a blend of spices, and there are many different blends. You can find lots of recipes for curried dishes. For oil free recipes check out https://blog.fatfreevegan.com/?s=curry.

If you like Indian curries (I do) have a look at any cookbook by Madhur Jaffrey. She uses oil. Just leave it out. Her recipes are delicious.

Many Thai curries call for coconut milk. It's very high in fat. You can substitute any kind of plant milk with a little coconut extract for the coconut milk.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby DenverGuy » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:59 am

Thank you all. I am looking for a basic golden Indian curry. I should have been more specific. I should buy the paste, rather than the powder?
DenverGuy

Postby Plumerias » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:03 am

Okay, we shop regularly at Indian groceries, which by the way are excellent places for inexpensive spices, and neither of us ever remembers seeing a paste. But then, we wouldn't be looking for one, as they contain oil, and once opened, probably need valuable refrigerator space. They do carry a variety of pre-made powdered ones.

I second Vanilla Orchid's suggestion about reading Madhur Jaffrey's books. Yes, she uses oil, but she also teaches, explains, especially if you read the text portions as opposed to just the recipes. Raghavan Iyer is another good teacher, in fact, I had a class with him once, so I can attest to the fact that the man simply loves to teach. If you are indeed in Denver, a logical assumption given your screen name, use your excellent library system to learn. There are Indian grocery stores aplenty in metropolitan Denver, with a lot of them in Aurora.

The term curry is a very general one. Assuming you have time during these times of limited activity, do some reading, just for fun.
Plumerias

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:21 pm

Vanilla Orchid

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning