Who here cooks sprouted rice?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Malva and Mallow - too funny!

Postby Mallow » Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:45 pm

Hey Malva, isn't it funny that we both live in Washington State, and we both have Marshmallow as our names? Yours is the Latin name, mine is the common name.

Anyway, I used to go to Uwajimaya in Seattle for my Asian product needs, but found recently that there's a Beaverton location too! It isn't as nice as the one in Seattle, and it seems about 1/4 the size. Don't you just love that store?

BTW, if you're going there soon, be sure to check out the Stack & Stack. It's adorable, it's basically a fabric bento lunch box made by the manufacturers of Lock & Lock. It has custom fitted Lock & Lock containers inside - a main dish, a 3 compartment dish, and a container for liquids about the size of a juice box. My daughter loves it! Other family members wanted several more, but the local Uwajimaya was sold out by the time I went to get them.
Mallow

Marshmallow?

Postby Malva » Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:13 pm

Malva is a genus of about 25 species of herbaceous plants in the family Malvaceae (named after it), one of several closely related genera in the family to bear the common English name mallow. The genus is widespread throughout the temperate, subtropical and tropical regions of Africa, Asia and Europe.

The leaves are alternate, palmately lobed; the flowers are from 0.5-5 cm diameter, with five pink or white petals.

Several species are widely grown as garden flowers, while some are invasive weeds, particularly in the Americas where they are not native.

Malva species are used as food plants by the larvae of some Lepidoptera species including Grizzled Skipper.

Many species are edible as leaf vegetables. M. verticillata (Chinese: 冬寒菜; pinyin: dōngháncài) is grown on a limited commercial scale in China. Malva verticillata, when made as an herbal infusion, is used for its colon cleansing properties and as a weight loss supplement.

Very easily grown, short-lived perennials often grown as ornamentals. Mild tasting young mallow leaves make a very good lettuce substitute, whereas older leaves are better cooked as a leafy green vegetable. Use the flowers that are produced in profusion in salads. Sow directly outdoors in early spring. The seed is very easy to collect, and they will often spread themselves by seed.
I do a more restricted Program to maintain my weight & health. I have been McDougalling for about 30 years, with a long transition, until I finally accepted this lifestyle, stayed on Program and reached my goal back in 2006.
Malva

Sure, Marsh Mallow, Malva Sylvestris

Postby Mallow » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:11 pm

Where marshmallows originally derived from, before we made them of gelatin...

Mallow
Common names: High mallow, common mallow

Botanical name: Malva sylvestris
© Martin Wall

Skip to:
Botany
Helpful for
Traditional use
How it works
Amount to take
Side effects & interactions
References
Parts used and where grown
Mallow originates from southern Europe and Asia but has spread all over the world as a common weed. Its cousin, the dwarf mallow (Malva neglecta), is another Eurasian plant that has spread far and wide. Other similar plants in the same family (Malvaceae) are hibiscus and marshmallow. The dried or fresh flowers and leaves of high mallow and dwarf mallow are used as food and medicine
Mallow

sprouting rice/thanks for the great info/one questions

Postby Riva » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:31 pm

I have never done this but will try tonight.
I am a little afraid of sprouting grains. I know many people sprout wheat and bake it. I for SURE cannot handle the grass taste. :eek: Do you get this with the rice?
Riva
Riva

Good news!

Postby Malva » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:11 pm

Thus far my rosacea is not being aggrivated by sprouted rice. :)

Maybe whatever it is that breaks down during the sprouting process seems to be a benefit for me. Hurray! I've missed having my bowl of rice for dinner.
I do a more restricted Program to maintain my weight & health. I have been McDougalling for about 30 years, with a long transition, until I finally accepted this lifestyle, stayed on Program and reached my goal back in 2006.
Malva

Malva...

Postby Clary » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:33 pm

Malva wrote:Thus far my rosacea is not being aggrivated by sprouted rice. :)

Maybe whatever it is that breaks down during the sprouting process seems to be a benefit for me. Hurray! I've missed having my bowl of rice for dinner.

Keep us posted about this, please.
Clary

day 2 on sprouted rice

Postby Malva » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:32 pm

no rosacea flare-ups.

some lumps are actually receeding.

The sprouted rice tastes more like white rice, and I remember Burgess saying that he's doing OK on white rice, so maybe there's something in common that the two don't have that regular brown rice does.
Malva

Re: sprouting rice/thanks for the great info/one questions

Postby Clary » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:52 am

Riva wrote: I for SURE cannot handle the grass taste. :eek: Do you get this with the rice?
Riva

I have never noticed any "grass taste" to any kind of sprouts. Do you possibly mean after the sprouts become plants, like "wheatgrass"?

In my experience, sprouting grains and seeds do not change the taste of the original when they are in the "sprout" stage. Once the little sprout begins to root or leaf, it is no longer a sprout, but a "plant".

How did your experiment go?
Clary

Wheat grass/wheat sprouts

Postby Riva » Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:48 pm

Dear Clary,
I tried to bake bread out of wheat sprouts and it tasted like grass. Maybe I let it sprout too long. I didn't have a leaf and it was a sprout about the same length of the grain. Maybe I should try it again.
Riva
Riva

Re: Wheat grass/wheat sprouts

Postby Clary » Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:47 am

Riva wrote:Dear Clary,
I tried to bake bread out of wheat sprouts and it tasted like grass. Maybe I let it sprout too long. I didn't have a leaf and it was a sprout about the same length of the grain. Maybe I should try it again.
Riva

Hi Riva...
HMMMM....... Okay, HOW did you add the sprouts to your bread recipe? Did you use the sprouted wheat as your "flour"? Did you dry the grains and grind it? --or add the whole grain sprouts to another bread recipe, or was it still in the wet and growing stage, or...?
Clary

Previous

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning