oatmeal

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

oatmeal

Postby JoyWA » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:49 pm

Is instant oatmeal okay or bad? Is it devoid of something important? I do not have time to cook regular oatmeal in the morning.
JoyWA

Re: oatmeal

Postby JeffN » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:55 pm

JoyWA wrote:Is instant oatmeal okay or bad? Is it devoid of something important? I do not have time to cook regular oatmeal in the morning.

Hi Joy

Instant oatmeal is not the best choice as many brands are very high in sodium, and have added sugars. There are some brands that are 100% pure oatmeal, so in the world of instant oatmeals, they would be the best choice. They have been processed further to increase surface area so they cook quicker, but for the same reason, the will be digested faster and not be as satisfying and filling.

However, oatmeal, does not take long to cook. While instant oatmeal may be cooked in a minute or two, quick cooking oatmeal and regular oatmeal both cook in under 5 minutes. In addition, while irish oatmeal or steel cut oats do take around 30 minutes to cook, you can cook them up in advance (as you can with regular and quick cooking oatmeal) and then just reheat the portion you want each morning, in around a minute or two.

The few minutes you will spend making sure you consume the healthiest foods are well worth all the wonderful rewards of incredible health, energy and long life.

In Health
Jeff Novick, MS, RD
JeffN

Anything for Breakfast Besides Oatmeal or Potatoes?

Postby melbatoast » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:17 am

Hi Jeff

I'm preparing to start the Dr.s 12 day program. I do not like oatmeal and I might not have time to do 20 minute Ore Ida Hash Browns in the morning. Are there any quick substitutes?

I also wanted to thank Dr. McDougall for his free program and the message board for all the words of encouragement. :-D
melbatoast

Postby greentea » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:25 am

Joy, cooking large flake oats takes only 2-3 minutes. This method came from one of Dr Barnards books.
Stir together 1 cup of large flake oats in pot with 2 cups of water & a pinch of salt. Bring to boil, then turn down heat & simmer for 2 - 3 minutes to the consistency that you like. Stir regularly while it's cooking. That's it and it's so delicious!
You can also cook steel cut oats in a slow cooker overnight.
greentea

Re: Anything for Breakfast Besides Oatmeal or Potatoes?

Postby JeffN » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:53 am

melbatoast wrote:Hi Jeff

I'm preparing to start the Dr.s 12 day program. I do not like oatmeal and I might not have time to do 20 minute Ore Ida Hash Browns in the morning. Are there any quick substitutes?

I also wanted to thank Dr. McDougall for his free program and the message board for all the words of encouragement. :-D

Congratulations on starting the program.

There are many other alternatives for breakfast and so you do not have to eat anything you do not like. There are other hot cereals that are also excellent like barley, buckwheat, rye, brown rice, that are excellent choices and quick cooking. There are also some excellent cold cereals though they tend to be higher in calorie density and not the best choice for weight loss.

And, while we have certain "tendencies" and habits on what we choose for breakfast, many healthy cultures choose other items than the typical American ones for breakfast. So, do not be afraid to eat what may be thought of as "non breakfast" foods for breakfast.

Many people enjoy just reheating leftovers from either lunch or dinner from the day before. My daughter used to love to eat leftover burritos, or whole grain pasta primavera, or even just sweet potatoes for breakfast and all she had to do was reheat them.

Make sure you check out the McDougall Quick and Easy Cookbook also which is full of great simple recipes.

And remember, a little time invested now, will go a long way to helping to build and maintain a long and healthy life.

In Health
Jeff Novick, MS, RD
JeffN

cooking oatmeal

Postby chrisv » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:13 pm

I cook rolled oats by pouring boiling water on them and letting them sit for 3-4 minutes, or by heating in the microwave just to boiling and then waiting a few minutes. I suppose I never did like oatmeal cooked to a gluey consistency. My brother uses the same method for steel cut oats, he says they don't get soggy during a long commute.
The pounds you add two-by-two
You take off one-by-one
chrisv

Re: Anything for Breakfast Besides Oatmeal or Potatoes?

Postby JoyWA » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:00 pm

melbatoast wrote:Hi Jeff

Hi -- besides some daily morning fruit, sometimes I toast up a slice of Ezekiel bread (sprouted whole grains) and then put on a little avacado.
JoyWA

thermos cooking

Postby AnnaS » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:52 pm

Another way to prepare breakfast grains (oats or almost any kind of grain, or a mix) is to boil them a minute or two the night before and pour them into a preheated thermos. The next morning you'll have hot cereal, cooked to perfection. I've never had them turn out gooey or overcooked this way.

When I have a busy, stressful day ahead this is one of my favorite solutions to getting a good breakfast.
on the McD program since 2002: age=65, BMI=18, b/p=110/70, tc=126, McD=100%.
diagnosed with lyme disease March 2010

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
AnnaS

Return to Jeff Novick, RD