a modest success

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

a modest success

Postby fiddler3 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:03 am

Hey there, Jeff,

I wanted to share a modest success with you, since my inspiration was the "Oatmeal" segment on your Youtube spots.

I love oatmeal, and have eaten it daily for years, but I have experienced some "drift"...a little bit of brown sugar, a bit more brown sugar, maybe a teeny bit of salt, a splash of soymilk, raisins, dates, sliced almonds...NOW we're talking oatmeal!

But after watching the video, I have eaten, for the past two mornings: oatmeal, 1/2 cup frozen blueberries, and a half cup frozen strawberries, a teeny bit of cinnamon. To my surprise, the result is absolutely...uh...acceptable!! I mean, it really tastes pretty good, and I am such an awful creature of habit, all I need to do is eat my oatmeal this way a few more times, and I won't be able to eat it any other way! (I might lose the cinnamon...all it did was send the message to my brain, "hey, isn't this supposed to be sweet?")

I think I am pretty sensitive to sugar. I can feel my blood sugar fall midmorning (I eat a banana), and when I get hungry, watch out. I actually think my unsugared oatmeal did a better job of sustaining me through the morning.

Anyway, for what it's worth...

fiddler3
fiddler3

Postby vwnut » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:12 am

Congratulations on your success. For me it looks like a big success. I have really enjoyed oatmeat for years - even for dinner. However, I just seem to need the brown sugar, raisins and pecans. That is the only thing that got me to think that oatmeal did not have to taste like the paste I grew up with. I think another key is to not overcook it. Most places, restaurants, tend to overcook it so that it looks like paste and not oats. Oats look good while paste looks like - well, paste.
Doug
"If it is a plant eat it; If it is made in a plant leave it."
vwnut

Re: a modest success

Postby JeffN » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:11 am

fiddler3 wrote:Hey there, Jeff,

I wanted to share a modest success with you, since my inspiration was the "Oatmeal" segment on your Youtube spots.

I love oatmeal, and have eaten it daily for years, but I have experienced some "drift"...a little bit of brown sugar, a bit more brown sugar, maybe a teeny bit of salt, a splash of soymilk, raisins, dates, sliced almonds...NOW we're talking oatmeal!

But after watching the video, I have eaten, for the past two mornings: oatmeal, 1/2 cup frozen blueberries, and a half cup frozen strawberries, a teeny bit of cinnamon. To my surprise, the result is absolutely...uh...acceptable!! I mean, it really tastes pretty good, and I am such an awful creature of habit, all I need to do is eat my oatmeal this way a few more times, and I won't be able to eat it any other way! (I might lose the cinnamon...all it did was send the message to my brain, "hey, isn't this supposed to be sweet?")

I think I am pretty sensitive to sugar. I can feel my blood sugar fall midmorning (I eat a banana), and when I get hungry, watch out. I actually think my unsugared oatmeal did a better job of sustaining me through the morning.

Anyway, for what it's worth...

fiddler3

That is a great success so thanks for sharing your story. It is worth a lot!!

I am not a fan of the cinnamon either but I find most people like it so I added that in. It is an option. I like to add a few raisins, and/or dates and/or banana which adds a little natural sweetness.

But your story is not unique and why it is important to be aware of these issues regarding "exceptions" or these indiscretions."

Everyone wants to know "how much" of everything (like sugar, salt, oil, cocoa, etc) they can "get away" with, but the problem is, for many, they can't stop at a little, and their little "exceptions" or "indisccetions" become "a lot" fairly quickly. Then the next thing they know, their "exceptions" have become the "rule" & the healthy food has become the "exception."

Thanks again

In Health
Jeff Novick, MS, RD
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD