Thyroid--foods?

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Thyroid--foods?

Postby Gwen » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:35 am

Hi Jeff,
I just found out I have hypothyroidism and have been but on low dose levothyroxine. The med sheet says to stay away from soy and walnuts. I've also heard that cruciferous vegetables aren't good....broccoli and cauliflower are my fave veggies.
Should I stay away from them?.....and what other foods should I stay away from?

I've been eating a brazil nut everyday for the selenium. I don't like having this disorder, but man o' man, it's sure nice not to be freezing all the time!!! :0)

Thanks, Gwen
Gwen

Re: Thyroid--foods?

Postby JeffN » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:35 pm

Gwen wrote: The med sheet says to stay away from soy and walnuts.

Here is the official recommendation in regard to soy and walnuts, which does not say to avoid either of them.

"Do not take Synthroid within 4 hours of ingesting medications, supplements, or foods that may interact with Synthroid. Antacids, iron, and calcium supplements, dietary fiber, soy, and even walnuts can affect your body's absorption of Synthroid. Talk to your doctor to learn more."

We do recommend soy and/or walnuts, if included, to be limited so avoiding either, if one wanted, is fine.

Gwen wrote: TheI've also heard that cruciferous vegetables aren't good....broccoli and cauliflower are my fave veggies.
Should I stay away from them?

Just make sure they are cooked.

Gwen wrote: TheI've been eating a brazil nut everyday for the selenium.

One Brazil nut has about 2x the amount of selenium one needs and excess is not good.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Re: Thyroid--foods?

Postby Gwen » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:44 pm

My med sheet just says those foods may interfere with the absorption, so I thought it meant I couldn't have them at all.
Thanks for clearing up the info that I should not have them within 4 hours of taking it.

And, whew! I'm glad I can still have my favorite veggies...cooked.
Thanks so much, Jeff
Gwen

Return to Jeff Novick, RD