Vintagesan - One month on MWL

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Vintagesan - One month on MWL

Postby Vintagesan » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:25 am

Hi everyone,

I take part in the MWL weigh in for July and want to note for myself how I'm doing, feeling and hopefully how I am changing. :)
This here shall not be about what I eat, although I may mention it from time to time. I hope to stay on track when I remember myself daily what I'm doing and why. My plan is to post daily about the day before.

Yours, Vin
Vintagesan

Re: Vintagesan - One month on MWL

Postby Vintagesan » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:03 am

The spontaneous idea of joining a weigh in group - 07/02/18

The days before I joined the group were a total mess.
I could write down so much that really bothered me that week or the last years of my life, but to sum it up: I'm simply fed up.
As long as I can remember I have always been the chubby one and I'm simply tired of it. My whole life feels like a consolation prize just because I never seem to fit in.

At the climax of my frustration I visited the forum...and saw the post of the new weigh in group for July.
I didn't think about it - I just knew that MWL could help me to get my weight moving down again. S here I am, waiting for Friday and hoping the scale will move. :mrgreen:
Vintagesan

Postby Idgie » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:44 pm

I'm new, too, and looking forward to regaining our health!
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby Vintagesan » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:34 pm

Comments and Feedback

Hi Idgie! Are you doing MWL,too?

Small progress ahead - 07/03/18

I had a date with my scale.
My husband told me not to check my weight. "Vin, you just started yesterday. Check your weight after a week or so. This will just discourage you to continue." Usually I would have said he is right. But I needed to. I needed so see ANYTHING is happening, even if I just lost maybe some grams. The last weeks my scale stagnated or the number got bigger and this was frustrating. So even if I would have lost just 1 gram, I would freak out. :mrgreen:

And actually I lost weight. 620 grams. It's not the world and it's still far away from the amounts of pounds I'd like to lose, but the scale is moving - and finally it is moving in the right direction. I don't know what I will achieve until Friday when I have to tell my current weight to the group. But something is happening the way I want it to happen.

I also thought of little rewards, today.
Little presents I could gift myself for achieving results. If you think this doesn't work let me tell you a little story:

I never learned to swim.
When I was a child I was so afraid of the swimming teacher that I was sick every Friday. :roll:
When I was a child I was so happy my mother understood my situation and wrote some apologies for my school.
Today as an adult and a mother I think her behaviour was wrong.
She should have tried to switch up things and to encourage me. Because actually I wasn't afraid of the teacher but to jump off the edge in the swimming bath. I saw the other kids doing this so they could get their badges. From that moment on I decided to never learn swimming.

I became an expert in lying when other kids wanted to go swimming.
One day I started to tell others I would have an allergy so I couldn't go into this water. After years of lying I started to believe this on my own. Last year I found a swimming class for adults and joined. The first lesson was to introduce ourselves to the others and tell them why we could not swim. The others started and I felt rotten. They all had "real" reasons. I didn't want to lie anymore and told the truth. I saw those people for the first time in my life and...none of them judged me. They understood me and they all encouraged me to learn swimming. I found out that swimming was MY thing. I learned quickly and I cannot find words for that confidence I obtained. Falling into water was one of my biggest fears over years. I never went walking near a lake just because I was so afraid I could somehow fall into the water and would drown. I've never owned a swimsuit or bikini because I never was in any pool my entire life. Before the last lesson the teacher asked me if I'd like to get a badge. I was able to swim but I was still afraid to jump of the edge which needed to be done besides swimming to get that badge.

Meanwhile my husband bought a piece of jewelry I wanted to own for years. And he showed it to me right after I told him of the badge thing. "If you want to have it, jump into the water. Else I well sell it again". The first days I hated him for this. I was really angry and thought this was so cruel. He knew I was afraid but he also knew I wanted this piece so badly. It was a collector's pieceand I was looking for it for years - without success.

At the day of my last lesson my husband joined. I really tried to jump off the edge, but I couldn't. My class and my teacher were understanding and told me it's okay - I could swim now and this should make me happy. They told me I've overcome a fear and can be proud. Then my husband took his mobile and shouted "Do you think it's okay to sell it at a higher price? Somebody already asked for it." And I jumped off that edge, swam across the whole swimming bath towards my husband, climbed up the other edge and told him what an silly a**hole he is. He just smiled and said "You jumped off the edge. Congrats. I never wanted to sell it. It's yours. I just wanted to see if you would jump if I tell you this." He wrapped me into his arms and I heard the class cheering for me. In that moment I felt like I won a gold medal at Olympia. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

(Edit: Sorry I couldn't complete my post this morning, so I'll go on now)

Today this jewelry always reminds me of this day. It always shows me that I've done something which I thought I couldn't do. So I think little rewards are good for both, as a reminder but also motivation to stay on track. I will think about it and maybe add my personal goal list here. :)
Last edited by Vintagesan on Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vintagesan

Postby Idgie » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:36 pm

I'm getting closer and closer to MWL, but I'm not quite there yet. I'm averaging 3.5 pounds a week of weight loss, though, so I'm okay with easing into it. By the end of the summer, I'd like to be totally on MWL.
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
Idgie

Postby VegSeekingFit » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:09 am

Hi! :D

Love your spunkiness and you are a great writer!

Wanted to share that I lost slowly my first month, but I didn't care because I felt terrific! At about 6 months now - 90% MWL and I will eat this way for life.

Wishing you the best on your journey!

Cheers,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby Vintagesan » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:01 am

Comments and Feedback

Wow, Idgie, 3.5 pounds a week sounds great anyway! :eek:

Hi Stephanie. I'm currently on day 4 and already feel great,too. I'm excited how I will feel after a month. :)

My fat starts to cry - 07/04/18

Three days on MWL and I'm sweating like hell. This also happened when I first started with the Starch Solution, this also happened after giving birth to my child. Besides becoming a VIP on my own toilet, sweating is my body's way to get rid of the water intake. I use to say that sweat is just crying fat. :cool: But I know this only counts if you are exercising...

Currently I am not exercising. But I'm moving much more than I did last week. I have also so much more energy. When I came home from work last week, I was so exhausted and tired that I usually fall asleep right on the couch. For the last two days I even had to work overtime but when I came home I cleaned up and prepared the dinner. Though I have more energy my evenings are more relaxed now. I started reading again - which helps me a lot not to end up with a bowl of candies in front of the tv.
I'm not hungry and I have no cravings - but I don't trust myself with this so far. ;-)

At work I started to use the stairs instead of the elevator. The urge to move also changed the way I talk to my customers. Usually I lay down in my chair now I am moving around the office with a headset. I think my work became more productive the last days and I see I can handle stress much better now.

All I could think of in the evening was: When this already happens after 3 days - what is going to happen after a month? :)
Vintagesan

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:29 am

My word, what a WONDERFUL story about learning how to swim! I love that your husband did that for you. Aren't men just MEAN sometimes, and here he did it and you got so much stronger because of it ;) I also love it that you are reaping the energy benefit of eating MWL! that's my favorite. When you realize...hey, I just put all the Christmas decorations up by myself and I'm not wiped out! :nod: it's a good feeling. I'm going to enjoy following your progress.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Rosey » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:57 am

Love your story about your husband and swimming. I used to teach kids with learning disabilities how to swim and I didn't even know how too. I told the teacher when she asked me to help teach them and said I've heard how many times but I really don't know how so I can't teach it. She goes tell me how to do it. I told her and she said you can teach them in the shallow end. Was so crazy by end of that year I was swimming right along with them.
Rosey

Postby Vintagesan » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:24 pm

Comments and Feedback

Hi buns ! Yes, they are and then they do something like this and you cannot be angry with them anymore. ;-)

Thank you, Rosey. So you learned it by teaching others? Now THAT'S the best swim story here. :nod:

When you feel great, but you are still fat - 07/05/18

Psst! Let me tell you a secret...
I already was on the scale today to check my weight loss - and I was so happy, so proud, so motivated to go on. For me this is such a big thing, especially because the scale didnt move for a while. But then it needed to happen. My husband saw my one-person-party next to the scale and asked "So you lost weight? Great, congrats. But you know you are still overweight, right?"

So there it was...the mess on my hands. The problem all fat people have to deal with. Mentally you feel like Malibu Barbie but in the real life you still wear your size 20 jeans. Of course I haven't forget it - how should I? Nevertheless, this didn't discourage me. So I smiled at my husband and answered "Yes, darling I know. And will still know you asked me something like that when I will wear a size 8 again one day. ;-) "

But I really know that feeling.
I even know that feeling so good, that I may say I will wear a size 8 one day but actually don't believe it by myself. I even never had a size 8 jeans in my life lol. Once I had a size 10 which actually was a size 12 that was on sale because of the label mistake. :mrgreen: So yes, I still know that I am overweight. I always knew and I won't forget.

But in case of getting slim enough on MWL, I won't forget who always remind me of that.
I am not seeking for revenge...no, the witch's broom is just decoration here lol...but I hope to see all that people again.

Anyway, I directly ordered a jeans, two shirts and some underwear in size 16.
I like to be prepared :P And who said I cannot look good as long as I am overweight? 8)
Vintagesan

Postby Rosey » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:26 am

Vintagesan wrote:
Thank you, Rosey. So you learned it by teaching others? Now THAT'S the best swim story here. :nod:

Yep sure did. Amazing how that worked smart teacher of mine to trick me into that too.

Vintagesan wrote: Psst! Let me tell you a secret...
I already was on the scale today to check my weight loss - and I was so happy, so proud, so motivated to go on. For me this is such a big thing, especially because the scale didnt move for a while. But then it needed to happen. My husband saw my one-person-party next to the scale and asked "So you lost weight? Great, congrats. But you know you are still overweight, right?"

My ex husband used to remind me of stuff like that all the time. My current always encourages me I love it. Congrats on the Weight loss you deserve to get excited no matter how big or how little the weight loss. WOOT!!! Happy Dance for you.
Rosey

Postby Vintagesan » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:55 am

Comments and Feedback

Oh I would love if my husband would encourage me as well, Rosie. But I guess he is not that type of guy. Anyway, till he started his own diet he never told me I was overweight or ugly or anything like that - I don't want to take him under my wings, but he is not that silly guy all the time. Maybe these are some male blackouts from time to time? lol :lol:

Be stronger than your mind...or at least your stomach - 07/06/18

Nah...you don't have you check twice - I am really posting the 2nd time on one day. Why? I won't be able to come here tomorrow but I still have sooooo much on my mind I'd like to write down for myself.

Yesterday I felt like holy McDougall is testing me. :mrgreen:
My husband, my son and I went for the groceries. While I was filling the cart with healthy stuff I heard my husband talking to my little one. "Do you want to eat fries this evening? Daddy wants to eat fries." Within seconds I saw myself sitting on the couch, eating a big plate of fries with tons of mayonnaise and ketchup (I can see you raising your eyebrows...but hey, I am European andsome of us really do this :wink: ) We went on shopping and then when we passed the frozen woods I saw that big bag joining my vegetables in the cart. I decided to leave my husband and son with the cart, grabbed one of the shopping baskets which stood everywhere and continued MY purchase on my own. We met again at the checkout and I saw all the stuff they wanted to buy.

I was both, shocked and afraid at the same time. Shocked because my husband seemed to end his diet and went back to all this unhealthy stuff, which he also wanted to offer our little boy. Afraid because I didn't know what I would do when they prepare these fries.

At home my husband started immediately to prepare their foods.
It was Thursday here. I just could think of Friday when I had to report my weight loss for the week.
For a second I catched myself thinking of eating the fries, hoping they won't affect my weight loss. :crybaby: I was happy that I abandon this thought as quickly as it came up. First I decided to stay in another room while they are eating, but then I sat down next to my husband. I felt ashamed because - to be honest - I really gazed at them eating their fries. Of course, they offered me the food. But I declined. "Aren't you hungry?", my husband asked.

The next seconds were like a movie. I saw myself browsing the forum, clicking on a link that Jeff posted in the MWL section. This happened hours before, because I really did this in the morning. In the morning I skimmed through a newsletter from Dr McDougall but when my husband asked me I could remember the essential part:

It’s OK to be Hungry:

Sometimes you will find yourself in a situation where there is no healthy food available – like when you are out shopping, at a party, or dining with friends. You don’t have to eat. No harm will be done. You won’t starve to death by waiting a few hours until something healthy is available. Delaying gratification is the smart thing to do and when you do finally eat the right foods they will taste extra delicious.

So I looked at my husband. "I am. But it's okay to be hungry. I will eat when you both have finished. Thanks."

And from that moment on I could lean back on the couch and it didn't bother me anymore.
I just ignored them eating their fries and after they have finished, I went into the kitchen, prepared my salad and warmed up my leftovers from lunch. And it tasted like the best dish I ever had.

Afterwards my husband helped me to clean up the kitchen.
"Holy McDougall must be very proud of you" he joked. We both had to laugh. "You know he isn't a saint, do you?"
"Well, a man that can stop my wife, who is quite obessesive with fries, from eating them...must be a saint. ;-) "
"You are an idiot." - "I know. But I am somehow proud to be YOUR idiot. Damn... now I can never use fries to calm you down again. Give me that book. I need to learn all about great salads. :mrgreen: "

It was a funny situation, but the topic wasn't.
My husband is right. I usually used food to calm down. I am excited how I will manage angry moments from now on...
Vintagesan

Postby Ejeff » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:09 am

And perhaps next time make your own fries. Completely allowed on McDougall. Just pop a couple potatoes in the microwave, cut them up and either bake in oven or air fryer. So delicious and no oil required. I do use Heinz ketchup, but if you want to avoid the sugar in that make your own with tomato paste. Good for you not letting the others in your house derail you!
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby Rosey » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:57 am

Good going. I still have fries but I bake them and use ketchup and mustard on them.
Rosey

Postby Idgie » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:19 pm

I do not like it when people's family members undermine or insult them. It makes me so sad/mad! You all are awesome, and I want everyone in your life to tell you so all the time.
Idgie, Southern CA
Idgie

Next

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals