Hamstring pain?

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Hamstring pain?

Postby Richard Hollerman » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:32 pm

Hello,

After running about 20 to 25 miles for 30 years, I hurt my right hamstring muscle. This was 2 years ago when I was 63 years of age.

I tried various forms of exercise since I wanted to continue aerobic type of fitness training. I could not run without pain, therefore I tried riding the bicycle, elliptical, and treadmill. After these two years, the pain has become quite unbearable and both hamstrings are where the pain lies, along with the lower back. I have been walking for a couple weeks but this helps only minimally.

The doctor says to stretch and I've been doing this for years, but it doesn't seem to solve the problem of pain.
Does anyone have a solution to this issue? I had planned to run for another 30 years and don't want to think my exercising and running days are over!
Richard
Richard
Richard Hollerman

Postby dlb » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:24 pm

Richard -

Have you considered a rebounder. With bad knees I cannot even consider running outside anymore. However, the rebounder doesn't bother them in the least. It might give you more stretch when you come down onto the forgiving surface.

If you want to stay with an outdoor activity, you may want to look into a trikke. I don't have one but I am thinking about it. They look so cool. With the bike, elliptical (which kills my knees ?) and treadmill you are basically still doing the same motion as running. The trikke is slightly different from what I can tell. You do more of a sideways motion. Looks like you stretch more. You could look for a dealer in your area that would allow you to try one. I found one in mine and am thinking about going next week.

Never having been a runner, I don't know what it feels like to have to give it up. A friend who loves to run was injured and had to give it up for two years and was devestated. I guess when that runners high gets you, you are gotten. Sorry about your pain and coming to terms with your running.

Donna
To read how the McDougall Program helped me reach my goals, go here:

http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/donna_byrnes.html
dlb

Re: Hamstring pain?

Postby serenity » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:46 pm

Richard Hollerman wrote:The doctor says to stretch and I've been doing this for years, but it doesn't seem to solve the problem of pain.

Was this your MD? Sometimes when it comes to something that doesn't require drugs or surgery, their advice can be rather vague. Did he/she give you specifics about how to stretch? I wonder if you asked for a referral to a physical therapist if you could get someone to tell you exactly what stretches/exercises to do to feel better.

My chiropractor recently gave me a modification for a quad stretch when I told him that what I had been doing for a few years was producing no results. I could immediately tell the difference and am seeing greater flexibility in only a couple of weeks.

So, it may be that a consultation with a good physical therapist or chiropractor could evaluate what you are doing and provide some modifications to improve the effectiveness.

Hope you find a resolution.
serenity

Re: Hamstring pain?

Postby Burgess » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:38 am

Richard Hollerman wrote:After running about 20 to 25 miles for 30 years, I hurt my right hamstring muscle. This was 2 years ago when I was 63 years of age.

I am 63. From a close study of Pete Egoscue's Pain Free, I have learned to ask myself two questions in succession:
1. Why am I having this kind of pain?
2. Why am I having pain in this particular place and not elsewhere?

In other words, why are you having pain in the right hamstring and not in the left?

A physical therapist (such as Egoscue) or yoga instructor can teach you proper stretching.

Still, you may have to face the fact that your running days are over. There are still many forms of exercise left.
Burgess Laughlin, Star McDougaller
My books: http://www.reasonversusmysticism.com
My health weblog: http://anti-itisdiet.blogspot.com
Burgess

Postby Caroveggie » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:48 am

I got the book Pain Free because of Burgess mentioning it in prior posts, and I recommend it for you also.
Caroveggie

Postby Jackie J » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:40 pm

A good Iyengar yoga instructor will give you poses that will cure this problem - very common problem -
Jackie J

Return to Exercise and Fitness