5th Year Anniversary

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

5th Year Anniversary

Postby peasouper » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:32 am

It is 5 years since I began whole food plant based eating in October 2010. I was a little confused the first month and so made some choices which were higher in fat than recommended, but apart from that first month I have been a strict McDougaller for the whole 5 years.

My cholesterol in 2005 was 5.2 (200), so it may have been higher in 2010 but I never had it tested before I began. My BMI was 22.4

My latest cholesterol was 4.1 (158), this is not a fasting number, I had just had a big breakfast of porridge and fruit and the blood test was sprung on me by the health care professional, my bmi is 18.5 and last blood pressure reading 106/67. My previous cholesterol reading which was a fasting one was 4 (154), my cholesterol has never been lower than this. The only medication I take is 50 micrograms of Levothyroxine Sodium for an underactive thyroid. I must admit I did not expect to lose weight because I thought my weight was OK, but slowly during the first year I lost 14 lbs and I ate a lot and still do, I love my food.

When I found this way of eating I was tired, constipated and had stomach problems and acid reflux when I laid down in bed. One day I was googling something and Dr McDougall’s website popped up, I signed up for the newsletter and thought nothing else about it. When the newsletter arrived I read it, I think it had an article about IBS and a light bulb went on. I thought, this sounds like me.

Yes, I was tired, constipated and had stomach problems, but I was also an ovo-lacto vegetarian who also did not eat anything containing extrinsic sugar, so no cakes, biscuits, chocolate or sweets.

At the time I could never have imagined that giving up dairy, eggs and oil would have made such a difference. But it did!

In the beginning my brain kept telling me that there was something missing, but after a couple of weeks I began to feel so much better, my energy levels went up, I stopped feeling tired, I stopped having indigestion, my bloating/stomach pains began to get less and less and of course I stopped being constipated. My skin also improved.

Health wise I have never felt better in my life and I am 61. My mother died at 61. On her death certificate it says 1. M. I. (miocardal infarction). 2. Terminal Anal Cancer. She died when I was 41 and I wondered for a long time how to stop that happening to me. Two years after her death I became a vegetarian, at 52 I stopped eating anything containing extrinsic sugar, then at 56 I discovered Dr McDougall, Dr Esselstyn and Dr Campbell.

I have not looked back, I love the food and I have peace of mind. I never get out of breath and curiously I am a very warm person, very warm in bed, I give out a lot of heat and only need a light cover. I take lots of exercise with my dog and try to pass the message on. My son and husband have given up dairy my daughter and her partner are vegan (though have oil) and my sister is McDougalling too.

Although I came to this way of eating initially for my own health, I am now in it to contribute to saving the planet, feeding the world and animal welfare. So if someone tomorrow could convince me that food from animals was healthy, I would not change a thing (and as if they could!).

I attended the ASW in February 2014 with my husband and loved it. Thank you to all my McDougalling friends for all your kindness and support! Thank you Dr and Mrs McDougall!

Love Sue X
peasouper

Re: 5th Year Anniversary

Postby Yomom » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:51 am

peasouper wrote:It is 5 years since I began whole food plant based eating in October 2010. I was a little confused the first month and so made some choices which were higher in fat than recommended, but apart from that first month I have been a strict McDougaller for the whole 5 years.

My cholesterol in 2005 was 5.2 (200), so it may have been higher in 2010 but I never had it tested before I began. My BMI was 22.4

My latest cholesterol was 4.1 (158), this is not a fasting number, I had just had a big breakfast of porridge and fruit and the blood test was sprung on me by the health care professional, my bmi is 18.5 and last blood pressure reading 106/67. My previous cholesterol reading which was a fasting one was 4 (154), my cholesterol has never been lower than this. The only medication I take is 50 micrograms of Levothyroxine Sodium for an underactive thyroid. I must admit I did not expect to lose weight because I thought my weight was OK, but slowly during the first year I lost 14 lbs and I ate a lot and still do, I love my food.

When I found this way of eating I was tired, constipated and had stomach problems and acid reflux when I laid down in bed. One day I was googling something and Dr McDougall’s website popped up, I signed up for the newsletter and thought nothing else about it. When the newsletter arrived I read it, I think it had an article about IBS and a light bulb went on. I thought, this sounds like me.

Yes, I was tired, constipated and had stomach problems, but I was also an ovo-lacto vegetarian who also did not eat anything containing extrinsic sugar, so no cakes, biscuits, chocolate or sweets.

At the time I could never have imagined that giving up dairy, eggs and oil would have made such a difference. But it did!

In the beginning my brain kept telling me that there was something missing, but after a couple of weeks I began to feel so much better, my energy levels went up, I stopped feeling tired, I stopped having indigestion, my bloating/stomach pains began to get less and less and of course I stopped being constipated. My skin also improved.

Health wise I have never felt better in my life and I am 61. My mother died at 61. On her death certificate it says 1. M. I. (miocardal infarction). 2. Terminal Anal Cancer. She died when I was 41 and I wondered for a long time how to stop that happening to me. Two years after her death I became a vegetarian, at 52 I stopped eating anything containing extrinsic sugar, then at 56 I discovered Dr McDougall, Dr Esselstyn and Dr Campbell.

I have not looked back, I love the food and I have peace of mind. I never get out of breath and curiously I am a very warm person, very warm in bed, I give out a lot of heat and only need a light cover. I take lots of exercise with my dog and try to pass the message on. My son and husband have given up dairy my daughter and her partner are vegan (though have oil) and my sister is McDougalling too.

Although I came to this way of eating initially for my own health, I am now in it to contribute to saving the planet, feeding the world and animal welfare. So if someone tomorrow could convince me that food from animals was healthy, I would not change a thing (and as if they could!).

I attended the ASW in February 2014 with my husband and loved it. Thank you to all my McDougalling friends for all your kindness and support! Thank you Dr and Mrs McDougall!

Love Sue X

Congratulations! Your story is inspirational.
Kathy
Yomom

Postby DWu » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:09 pm

Wonderful Story Sue!
DWu

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:46 pm

Happy Anniversary!! Very inspirational story!
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby Birdy » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:03 pm

Hi Sue,
Now that is what I call a testimonial! Thanks for sharing. And congratulations on your five year anniversary! :-D
"The program is essentially cost and risk free." ~ Dr. John McDougall
Birdy

Postby Ltldogg » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:25 pm

Awesome Sue! So great to see people get it and follow Dr. Mcdougall's WOE. Excellent work spreading the message. I am so happy for you!

Cheers,
Scott
Ltldogg

Postby f1jim » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:17 am

I am proud to personally know Sue and couldn't be prouder of this amazing woman. She is another story of the power of healthy eating. She has reached so many of her goals while , like most of us, friends and family and the society around us pushed back.
We met Sue and Jim at that fateful ASW she mentions in her post and then got the opportunity to meet her and her husband at their home in the UK. She lives this way of eating and it truly is her lifestyle.
We are so proud of her.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby peasouper » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:25 pm

Gosh! Thank you Jim!

And thank you everyone for your encouraging comments!

love Sue
peasouper

Postby sjsilver » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:40 pm

Thank you for posting Sue. I love to read about people that have been doing this for years. It is easy to lose weight, but not so easy to keep the weight off. Congratulations.
sjsilver

Postby viv » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:40 pm

Congratulations Sue! You are truly an inspiration. As a fellow Brit (now living in the USA) I know how difficult it is to go against popular opinion. I think the Brits are even more outspoken and opinionated and so you must have heard an earful at the beginning of your journey! Good for you for sticking with it, saving your own life and now inspiring others to health and longer life.

Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby peasouper » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:24 am

Hi Viv

Some people have commented that I'm too thin, but that was a while ago, I've been thin for ages now! I find it very difficult to put weight on. I think if you stick to this way of eating how you end up is how you're meant to be.

Yesterday I met up with a chap I used to go to school with. He has type 2 diabetes and his cholesterol is 9 (347). He does not take statins because he does not like the effect they have on him. So I have lent him 'The Starch Solution'. When he has read that he is going on to 'Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease'. I do hope he takes it on board and changes his diet. I was explaining everything to him and he seems to think it is doable. I sincerely hope he can make the changes.

I must say most people give me the books back saying it's not for them! I live in hope!

Sue
peasouper

Postby ETeSelle » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:49 am

Congrats!! :-) You done good.
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby 100togo » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:07 pm

inspirational to see someone sticking with this diet long term with good results, congrats.
100togo

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories