off to a great start

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

off to a great start

Postby thefatsister » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:11 pm

I'm not sure of my starting weight because I know I was over 300. I didn't want to see the number.I refused to get on a scale.

Previous to starting, I had been 297 at my doctors office. Subsequent to that, I had a string of severe allergic reactions and was on a high dose of steroids. I ballooned. I sat on the couch eating chocolate ice cream on my days off from nursing. I felt horrible and wanted to "detox" and get to feeling better. I estimate I was at around 310 but I have no documentation to prove it. Which is fine with me :D

My sister and her family have been eating this way for years. I didn't believe in it. I couldn't see how starches wouldn't make you hungry all the time. I read about it but didn't think I could ever tolerate giving up meat, cheese, oil......nope. not me.

I've been on weight watchers and south beach. They both worked to a point but my downfalls were tracking, which I hate, and feeling deprived, which in truth means you're malnourished. Also with south beach I couldn't see how potatoes and rice should be limited as high carb, but other less natural more highly processed foods were encouraged. That never really sat well with me.

I was reading dr. Mark Hymans book and getting ready to do his ten day detox. Then I got to the back of the book where you have to order his supplements for $140 a month. Now, if it was really what I needed to succeed, I would have done it. But it suddenly felt like just another snake oil campaign. He actually says, eating fat doesn't make you fat any more than eating greens makes you green. What? I'm not that gullible.

So at the urging of mrs. Doodlepunk I took another look at mcdougall. I read esselstyn. As an icu rn I see daily the results of the typical american diet. My patients are obese, diabetic, with high lipids and all the stuff that goes along with it. I have vented patients who have to be moved and repositioned with an overhead sling system because of their obesity.

What finally got my attention was what dr, esselstyn says about damage to the endothelium. That is some serious shit, right there. Why is that not the lead story on every newscast nationwide?

So I figured if I'm going to do something for ten days I will try this looney diet. I was back down under 300 the first week. Weighed in at work yesterday at 292. If my start weight guess is correct, that's 18 lbs in a month. Pretty decent, huh?

After my ten days I had no desire to quit. I was just getting good at it. I find the plan easy to follow. Its cheaper to eat this way. And I haven't seen anyone else talk about how much easier dishes clean up. No baked on grease.

I have a loooong way to go yet but I feel like I've finally found MY solution.

I tell coworkers that offer to share their food.....thank you for the offer, but I eat weird, so I bring all my own stuff. So they watch to see what I eat. Low carb is all the rage right now, so they saw me eating my baked potato topped with all bean chili and they asked "how many carbs are in that" and I said " I don't know, a lot, probably 80%." And I'm losing weight. So when I go weigh myself using the same scale at work I come back saying I lost two more pounds or "another one bites the dust" . LOL
thefatsister

Re: off to a great start

Postby VegSeekingFit » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:22 pm

Congratulations on your great start!!! Lots of good stuff there!! :D
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:09 am

thefatsister wrote:What finally got my attention was what dr, esselstyn says about damage to the endothelium. That is some serious shit, right there. Why is that not the lead story on every newscast nationwide?

ROFLOL - to the serious sh@# comment.

As to the lead story on the news - follow the money for part of the reason for why it's not. I think it was Dr. E himself who wrote in his book about a colleague who was a cardiologist telling him that the reason WFPB diets weren't promoted was that as a cardiologist he had over a million or maybe it was more than one million in billable hours the previous year. I would have to read his book to find the quote and can't find my copy. Did I loan it to you? :unibrow:

Then there's the known fact that everyone loves to hear good news about their bad habits. That is probably word for word from Dr. McDougall, BTW. That's why South Beach is popular, along with all the other low carb diets. Who hates bacon? I mean, seriously. Probably 99.9 percent of the people in the U.S. love their bacon and butter and ice cream. And olive oil.

You've come into this at a time when it's starting to get some steam. Bill Clinton is doing this, Carl Lewis, other celebrities whose names I can't come up with at the moment. So have fun and ride the wave with the rest of us! :nod:
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby thefatsister » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:29 pm

Even if they supported this WOE, the cardiologists wouldn't lose any money in their lifetime. Not enough people are willing to be this far out on the lunaic fringe (she typed while eating her steel cut oats with blueberries out od the oversize bowl they microwaved in)......

A speaker who is a well known cardiologist in my area however quipped "keep eating the bacon!" at a recent seminar I attended. He himself is said to never eat fat, and exercises religiously.
thefatsister

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:56 pm

Yay for oatmeal and blueberries! :unibrow: and welcome to the lunatic fringe.

You nut job, you. ;-) You're going to have to change your name. Paging f1jim to the white courtesy telephone... is it possible to change one's screen name here?
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby thefatsister » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:24 pm

I'm not changing my name, unless I change it to TheCuteSister. LOL

Or find me an avatar of a wet poodle, and I will change it to Mrs. PoodleDunk
thefatsister

Postby amandamechele » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:43 am

I'll take over your name! That was what intrigued me to look at your thread!

Even with so much science-backed information out there, this way of eating can be harder to swallow than a bag full of pills. It took me 5 years and a visit to the McDougall Clinic to really have some success (and now I'm halfway there).

Congratulations on your healthy changes and weight loss thus far. This forum can be a great tool for support. I mostly lurk, but do like to cheer on other people's success.

TheCuteSister would be a great name too!
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:44 am

Are you and Mrs. Doodlepunk sisters?
amandamechele

Postby peasouper » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:26 am

Welcome and Well Done!

Sue
peasouper

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:57 am

amandamechele wrote:Are you and Mrs. Doodlepunk sisters?

We are. I finally drove her over the edge, been working on her for a while. :unibrow: She told me she was going to do a new diet and I told her to look up what Dr. Esselstyn says about "heart healthy" olive oil and the whole endothelial damage thing... so she did her homework, and here she is. 8) She is a smart girl, it runs in the family. :unibrow:

I'm so happy she's doing this and so excited for the improvements she's seen so far!
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby RoseKatherine » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:45 pm

Congratulations on your success so far with much more to come I'm sure. I hope that you will update regularly so we can all share your journey to good health. As an RN I see daily what the SAD has done to the health of Americans. I've shared what I've learned and the way I eat with so many others but most just think I'm weird.

I gave Esselstyns book to a co-worker who's husband had a heart attack or stroke yearly for three years. Two weeks later it was returned to me. There just was no way he could make such a "radical" change. One week later he had another heart attack. Still I keep spreading the message in hopes that someday someone will try it and see for themselves that good health can be restored, excess weight lost and vitality returned.

Best of luck to you.
RoseKatherine

Postby amandamechele » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:53 pm

Mrs. Doodlepunk wrote:
amandamechele wrote:Are you and Mrs. Doodlepunk sisters?

We are. I finally drove her over the edge, been working on her for a while. :unibrow: She told me she was going to do a new diet and I told her to look up what Dr. Esselstyn says about "heart healthy" olive oil and the whole endothelial damage thing... so she did her homework, and here she is. 8) She is a smart girl, it runs in the family. :unibrow:

I'm so happy she's doing this and so excited for the improvements she's seen so far!

Wonderful! Having family members follow this way of eating make family gatherings easier too. Your persistence has been rewarded Mrs. Doodlepunk!

Amy
amandamechele

Postby Caligirl626 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:13 pm

I love your name and your enthusiasm! I am so excited to take this journey not only for my health benefits but I can't wait till I can say " I told you so!" I have two people in my office that are on the hcg diet and one has lost weight and the other hasn't but you should see what they are supposed to eat! It's not good! I am so PROUD of what I am eating. Anyway I am glad to be here!
Caligirl626

Postby Atheria » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:49 am

I like you because you swear. LOL

May you be able to increasingly gloat eating your carbs as others live on 70% fat, 20% protein, 5% carb gross diets...and are denied wonderful starches. I didn't make that ratio up. Some guy just posted that his diet consists of that ratio.

Best wishes,
Atheria
~ ATHERIA ~
www.bridge4spirit.wordpress.com
Atheria

Postby thefatsister » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:40 pm

RoseKatherine wrote:Congratulations on your success so far with much more to come I'm sure. I hope that you will update regularly so we can all share your journey to good health.
As an RN I see daily what the SAD has done to the health of Americans
. I've shared what I've learned and the way I eat with so many others but most just think I'm weird.

I gave Esselstyns book to a co-worker who's husband had a heart attack or stroke yearly for three years. Two weeks later it was returned to me. There just was no way he could make such a "radical" change. One week later he had another heart attack. Still I keep spreading the message in hopes that someday someone will try it and see for themselves that good health can be restored, excess weight lost and vitality returned.

Best of luck to you.

me too! all my patients are obese, and don't understand how RADICAL it is to cut a body open to "fix" a dietary problem. :roll: :roll:
thefatsister

Next

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories