The Behavioral Path to MWL Success - July 2023 Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: The Behavioral Path to MWL Success - July 2023 Group

Postby Starflower » Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:08 pm

Mark Cooper wrote:
Starflower wrote:I have a question. I see that tortillas are not allowed for MWL because of calorie density. I use them in soups and stews sometimes as the starch. They get pretty waterlogged :), so they become less calorie dense. Is that a compliant use, or should I choose a different starch?
For MWL it would be recommended to choose one of the adherent starches instead of tortillas. Tortillas would fall under the seventh item from the Checklist:
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.
I wouldn't imagine using tortillas the way you describe would be a huge problem, but in adhering to the letter and spirit of the MWL 10-Point Checklist I would eliminate them, or replace with something like oats, brown rice, millet, potatoes, &c. :)

Thank you, Mark! Will do! :)
This journey is one of constant small adjustments. Nothing is ever static, no matter how long you've been eating this way. If something isn't working, you tweak it and make small changes until it works better.
- Wildgoose
Starflower

Postby BambiS » Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:31 am

7-14

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
Some days

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for desert
Mostly

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
Yes

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
Yes, not an issue here

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
No, did have some avocado on salad

6. Eliminate any added oil.
Yes

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.
Yes

8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself
Yes

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Some days

Victories, comments, concerns, questions good week, nothing eventful.

Unfortunately this week has been a whirlwind trying to wind down my working career. I scheduled some time off before my last day 27th and dealing with husbands health issues.

My diet has not been my main focus, but I stayed on plan mostly. I did make some recipes, which I enjoyed. I will be glad when I can have me time to take daily walks and get organized in the kitchen.
BambiS

Postby Ejg » Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:54 am

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Yes, I got a little sick of eating so much salad before meals so decided to make a big pot of vegetable soup instead. Decided in the end that while the soup was good, it was too much work, so I went back to salad. Its just easier
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. Yes, 50-50, although toward the end of the week I felt myself eating fruit more than just for dessert, so had to nip that in the bud
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. yes
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). yes
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). yes
6. Eliminate any added oil. yes
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. yes
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). yes
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. yes, and I have been paying particular attention to this one in recent weeks. I like letting a good appetite build for a little before I eat something, so I can make sure that my salad/vegetables/starch/fruit medley is highly satisfying.
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). yes

number on the scale continues to fall, so I'll keep doing what I'm doing until I need to make a change. Happy summer
Though it feels malevolent, resistance operates with the indifference of rain and transits the heavens by the same laws as the stars. When we marshal our forces to combat resistance, we must remember this.
Ejg

Postby Rebecka22 » Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:07 am

1.Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). YES
6. Eliminate any added oil. YES
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES

I made it a week at Lake Chelan with all 10s! I’ve been coming to the lake for a week in the summer my whole life so there are a lot of food traditions, but I was able to just make and eat my food. There was a little more questioning me than usual, but once I made it through one thing, then another, then my daughters birthday, then the traditional ice cream shop, then I just wasn’t willing to give in to anything else after all those successes. I was pretty tempted a few times, but success begets success so that kept me going.
Rebecka22

Postby Starflower » Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:30 pm

July 14th

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES

2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for desert. NO - two meals were not 50/50. I went to a large community picnic last Sunday. I brought water and a banana and found raw veggies and some fruit there. There were no compliant starches, so starch had to wait until I got home. One dinner (next day) was mostly starch. All other meals were 50/50.

3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts.  This includes gourmet sugars and salts too.  If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES

4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). NO - I had two pieces of sushi last night. There was avocado (one teaspoon or less total) in what I ate.

6) Eliminate any added oil. YES

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full.   Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). NO - I missed two days.

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:

All in all it was a good week. A few health conditions are already improving I’m enjoying the food and have found quick to prepare preloads to keep me on track, mostly McDougall soups and microwave steamed vegetables. Although I missed the 50/50 mark at the picnic, it was a major victory not to indulge in any non-compliant food. Nobody noticed! Next time I’ll bring a cooler with some favorite starches. I set alarms for exercise times after missing because I got busy and forgot until it was too late. I haven’t missed since.

Wishing everyone a wonderful and successful week! :)
Last edited by Starflower on Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This journey is one of constant small adjustments. Nothing is ever static, no matter how long you've been eating this way. If something isn't working, you tweak it and make small changes until it works better.
- Wildgoose
Starflower

Postby Gimmelean » Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:59 pm

Post for week ending 7/14/23
Hello!

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
Yes. Getting adventurous here this week.
I tried a new recipe which was very authentic; homemade pho using Nisha Vora’s instantpot recipe.It’s on her website-Rainbow Plant Life. Instant Pot Vegan Pho - Rainbow Plant Life I omitted the oil and salt and used whole grain noodles ( equivalent of whole wheat pasta hopefully) It was a great meal in and of itself or can be used without noodles for a broth based starter.
I tried a new fruit too - mamey sapote. I had no idea what it was, but thanks to Google lens!
I’ve also got a Korean melon in the fridge and some quinepas.

2). Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals.
Yes. This week I packed a container each day for work with peeled mashed sweet potatoes, raw veggies, and berries. The ice cold sweet potato with cinnamon was really good. I pressure cooked them, stuck them in the fridge and peeled them as I used them.

3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts.  This includes gourmet sugars and salts too.  If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
Yes

4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish,)
Yes

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu,soy).
Yes

6) Eliminate any added oil.
Yes

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air popped popcorn, and dried fruit.
Yes

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full.   Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
Yes.

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
Yes.

Victories,Comments,Concerns, Questions: As I mentioned last post, it’s always easier for me to want to eat less and feel lighter this time of year. I’ll take it without question or too much introspection along with the mood boost that comes with. The only constant is, it”s not always this way and I will always need to be ready for when( not if )those challenges threaten to derail me.

Mark, thank you for posting the thread with Dr. McDougall’s comments and Jeff’s follow up re- stating that focus should just be on the simplicity of the principle of energy density of recommended foods and not on macronutrients. It’s reinforcing to know why this method continues to work when every other method of weight loss and weight maintenance has yielded limited results for me. If it ain’t broke we always want to fix it till it is by complicating things. As an analytic by nature, I’m guilty of that for sure.

Everyone”s posts are encouraging and supportive.
Have a good week!
Gimmelean

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:55 pm

Hi Team Time & Adherence, :D

Hope everyone is doing great! We’ve had some severe storms this week in Chicagoland interspersed with some amazing summer weather. There is a “meme” that is out there which may interest this group --- a picture from South Elgin, IL where you can see a tornado cloud and in the background is a long line in the Portillo’s drive-through --- even the tornado can’t stop folks from getting their burger or hot dog…

1 Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
Sometimes. Really loving the melon right now and there are so many available at this time of year. My goal is to try them all!

2 Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.
Yes. Still same meals. Still love them.

3 Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
Yes. Reduced, not eliminated.

4 Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
Yes.

5 Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
Yes.

6 Eliminate any added oil.
Yes.

7 Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes, puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn, and dried fruit).
Yes.

8 Don’t drink your calories especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
Yes.

9 Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
Yes. No stuffing and no starving.

10 Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
Yes - 7 /7. Again, lots of walking and as much pickleball as possible!

I am excited to be participating in McD 12 Day that started yesterday. Feeling very uplifted, educated, empowered… so far participating in the program, and appreciative of having the opportunity for a “refresh” --- and that it takes place in the summer (YAY)!

Not sure if anyone else has this feeling --- but seems to me like this journey has multiple phases. For me, first getting the food and activity right --- then moving on to eliminating not healthy habits (maybe others do this first or simultaneously or don't have bad habits!). Now seems more the emotional or soul-searching side – like finding inner peace (or something like that).

Doing my metrics yesterday for the 12 day had me thinking a bit about the concept of Time & Adherence (and how health is positively impacted by these elements)… Following are my numbers – the second ones are from first day of November 2021 program (when I had been following MWL Checklist for about 6 months). Thought they were pretty good before, but now better… also lowered TC by about 40 points… Pretty amazing (to me anyway!). I do not know what my starting point was (prior to Nov 2021) in anything but weight (but I expect it wasn't good!).

BP : 93/ 65 …….110 / 73
Pulse : 52………..62
Weight : 115……129

Feeling really grateful for this group and appreciative of the community. Thanks so much. :)

Hope everyone has a wonderful week! :-D

Best,
Stephanie 
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Reporting for this week's Assessments is now CLOSED

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:02 pm

The window for reporting this week's behavioral results has officially closed.

My replies and the weekly summary will follow.
Mark Cooper

Mark's Replies for July 14

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Jul 15, 2023 2:12 pm

BambiS - Staying on plan for the most part is a positive result for a whirlwind week! More free and easy days are coming by and by, right? Keep doing your best!

Ejg - Excellent attention to adherence, Eric! Experiencing an adherent meal as highly satisfying definitely seems like something useful and worth noting. :nod: Carry on!

Rebecka22 - Woo-hoo! Kudos to you for going 10/10 at the lake! :thumbsup: That seems like a significant achievement. I think you are absolutely correct about success begetting success. :nod: Keep at it!

Starflower - Great efforts! I'm delighted to know that you have noticed some improvements in your health. Congratulations on navigating the community picnic without turning toward non adherent foods - that is no small feat. Great plan for how to make next time even more successful, too. :thumbsup: Have an amazing week to come!

Gimmelean - Fantastic! Your preload adventuring sounds fun! I've never heard of mamey sapote - how was it? I absolutely love cold sweet potatoes with cinnamon and blueberries - YUM! It is great that this time of year feels so conducive to adherent behaviors, and also really thoughtful to acknowledge that things won't always feel easy: forewarned is forearmed. I will admit that I've certainly been guilty of needlessly complicating things for myself in the past; that is a proclivity that took me some time to moderate, but I'm certainly happier (and things are easier) as a result. Onward!

VegSeekingFit - Another awesome week, Stephanie! You seem to have consistent adherence pretty well habituated at this point. :D How exciting to have a summer "refresher" by participating in the 12-Day program; I'm sure that will be an edifying and beneficial experience. I definitely identify with your feeling that this journey has multiple, sequential phases, and that the latter phase is often mental / emotional / self-actualizing / equanimity. Congratulations on the fabulous results you've achieved over the past few years! That is a real testament to your dedication and diligence. Enjoy the benefits, carry on as you have been, and let us know your favorite once you've made your way through every melon! :lol:
Mark Cooper

In Closing,

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Jul 15, 2023 2:33 pm

Cheers, everybody! Another great week. You all are definitely making the most of July! :thumbsup:

This week, I happened to be reviewing the Wikipedia entry on healthy diet, which summarizes recommendations from the WHO, USDA, AHA, WCRF, AICR, HSPH, David L. Katz, and Marion Nestle. I was struck by the broad agreement in recommendations, and by how close they were to Jeff's Five Pillars of Healthy Eating (although I think Jeff's recommendations are superior, particularly for their clarity and specificity :) ). Really, I think the "Plate Test" sums up all that advice in a succinct, clear, and actionable fashion; hence, it is my favorite.

Anyway, somehow that led me down a path of links to this fascinating discussion in response to the question "What should I tell someone who asks what kind of diet I'm following?" I found Jeff's response quite edifying, and thought it was worth sharing here.
JeffN wrote:I get that many of us want some concise way of explaining what we do, the problem is, there is no concise answer that describes what we do.

I even question why we want a label or why we have to have these discussions on what we eat at all. To do so is actually only a modern "luxury" in that we can pick and choose the foods we eat (and discuss and debate them). For most of our existence, we ate what we can find from what was available in our area. Granted, our modern toxic food environment has made the topic of value because there is so much CRAP out there but CRAP is not really food. Also, the label often acts as a "badge of honor" or as Doug would say, a modern signal or status symbol. And social media has turned a discussion that may have some value, into a circus.

No, I am not a fan of using the terms vegan (at all), WFPB, Plant Strong/Based/Perfect, Starch based, etc etc etc. The reason is, every single label you can come up with will always fall short and can be misinterpreted and bastardized. You can see it now with the term plant-based as it is has become a huge marketing term and being misused and misrepresented and appears all over junk-food. Same as with vegan but there is a trend away from the word vegan in the industry because of all the negative baggage that comes with it.

Plant-based describes a dietary pattern, diet, meal or a recipe where the majority of the calories in the diet, meal, or recipe comes from plants. That alone doesn't make it healthy. Also, if it is 100% plants, it is not plant-based, it is plants or plant-exclusive. A carrot is not plant-based. It is a plant. A meal that is 80% plants, is plant-based, but it doesn't mean it is healthy. For the record, the current American diet is "plant-based" as about 70% of the calories in it comes from plants, though mostly in the form of highly processed, extracted, refined, food products. But, they are from plants.

So is the issue "plants" or "plant-based' or much more then that?

Now, on occasion you may see me use one of the above terms here in this forums (though almost never vegan), as it is a simple way of using one word instead of 20 while communicating to someone I know who understands this. However, more often than not, I will respond to someone trying to learn this by saying, follow the recommended principles and guidelines.

This actually came up in the 10-Day program we just finished and we had a participant who kept asking what would be the best label.

After a few days I said, here it is, (which is really a compilation of my 5 principles)....

"I eat a diet that is based predominately on a variety of unprocessed and/or minimally processed fruits, vegetables, starchy vegetables, roots/tuber, intact whole grains and legumes that is lower in calorie density, fat and saturated fat and contains little to no added salt, sugar or oils and adapted to my unique personal situation."

Of course, that only describes the food and not the rest of the "lifestyle" factors that go along with it like not smoking, not drinking, getting adequate activity/exercise, maintaining a healthy weight, getting adequate rest/relaxation, adequate sleep and maintaining emotional poise and a positive outlook.

See the problem?

May years back, a client told me the way they answered the question which I thought was great. When asked the question he said, "there is no simple answer, but if you would really like to know, let's make some time in the next few days where we could sit down and spend an hour or so together, and I would be glad to discuss it with you."

He said, no one ever took him up on the offer. :)

When the first McDougall book came out, he called it a "health supporting" diet which I thought was great. Of course, it left out the rest of the lifestyle. And, today, everyone thinks their diet is health supporting.

If you were to ask me today, I would say, "I follow a healthy diet and lifestyle." Period.

It is just not a conversation I have, nor is it one I recommend others have.

As a professional in the field, I use my principles & guidelines and apply them to the individual.

Have a fun-filled, successful, amazing week! Take care & be well!
Mark Cooper

Postby BambiS » Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:22 pm

7-20

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
Some days

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for desert
Mostly

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
Yes

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
Yes, not an issue here

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
No, did have some avocado on salad

6. Eliminate any added oil.
Yes

Yes

8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself
Yes

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Some days

Victories, comments, concerns, questions good week, nothing eventful.

Another week focusing on ending work. I have 2 days next week to go.
I had car troubles this week also.
My foods were on plan, but I can’t say I was 100% on maximum weight loss. I’ll be glad when things wind down and I can get focused again.
BambiS

Postby Rebecka22 » Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:41 am

1.Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). YES
6. Eliminate any added oil. YES
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES

This was a good and uneventful week. I am trying to get my newly five year old eating healthier choices as the processed snacks seem to have gotten out of hand this summer for her. Question about rice, we only eat brown rice, but is any other rice good? I hope everyone is having a great summer. Thanks for all the support!
Rebecka22

Postby Starflower » Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:19 am

July 21st

10-POINT CHECKLIST FOR MAXIMUM WEIGHT LOSS (MWL)

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES

2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for desert. YES

3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts.  This includes gourmet sugars and salts too.  If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES

4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). YES

6) Eliminate any added oil. YES

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full.   Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). NO - I missed two days and only got in 15 minutes on a third one.

It was a pretty good week. I went to a friend’s house for a barbecue over the weekend. I brought fruit trays and veggie trays to share, and some brown rice in my bag to balance things out. It was a good thing I did. There was enough food for an army and not a thing that was compliant except bottled water. SAD is the right word!

Wishing everyone a wonderful and successful week! :)
- Wildgoose
Starflower

Postby Hjklost55 » Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:16 am

July 22nd

10-POINT CHECKLIST FOR MAXIMUM WEIGHT LOSS (MWL)

Hello Team….
I have been procrastinating checking in this week. I have been MIA and AWOL for 2 weeks now. Decided I needed to face the music and check in. :crybaby: Not sure what happened, but I haven’t been following anything right now. Just flying by the seat of my pants. And I think we ALL know what the results of that kind of behavior leads to.

I have been overeating even on rice, potatoes and watermelon. Guess it could be worse choices, but it is still overeating.

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
NO

2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for desert.
NO

3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
YES

4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
YES

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
NO

6) Eliminate any added oil.
YES

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.
NO

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
YES

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
NO

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
NO, only got probably 4/7

I guess I did get 4/10…. SO… could be worse. Trying to get back on track. :\ :\ :\
Hjklost55

Reporting for this week's Assessments is now CLOSED

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:04 pm

The window for reporting this week's behavioral results has officially closed.

My replies and the weekly summary will follow.
Mark Cooper

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program