The Behavioral Path to MWL Success - July 2023 Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Mark's Replies for July 21

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:09 pm

BambiS - Car troubles are no fun! I had to deal with some needed auto repairs myself this week - it can take up both a lot of time and a lot of $, right? Only two more work days to go! That must feel exciting. :) I'm sure there is much to be accomplished in that remaining time. Concentrate on doing the best you can, and when that third day arrives, enjoy it!

Rebecka22 - Fabulous efforts! Regarding your question about rice, if you are asking whether other varieties are suitable for MWL: any intact whole grain is acceptable for MWL, Jeff discusses the examples of black and brown sweet rice in this thread.
JeffN wrote:As long as they are 100% whole grain, it is fine.
If your question, rather, was about whether group members particularly enjoy any other varieties of rice, my favorites are brown basmati, short grain brown rice, and wild rice. :) Hope you are having a great summer, too!

Starflower - Awesome progress! Kudos to you for planning and executing that successful visit to your friend's barbecue - really nicely done! Onward!

Hjklost55 - I applaud you for taking that (perhaps uncomfortable) step to check-in, and I also laud your acknowledgement that, even when it feels like you are "flying by the seat of your pants" you still adhered to 4 of the recommended behaviors! Did you experience any particular event or change in routine that preceded going "AWOL"? Something that always helped me when I've felt demotivated is to take time to connect with and assess the reasons why I want to practice this particular pattern of behavior. For me, feeling in touch with my "WHY" drives motivation. Remember, too, that our success in attaining or maintaining a particular pattern of behavior DOES NOT determine our self-worth or value as a person, and right now is a GREAT time to reengage in the practices and routines that best support your own important goals. The path back on track starts with one step, followed by another and another. Wishing you the very best!
Mark Cooper

In Closing,

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:21 pm

Only one more check-in to go for July! Cheers to all participants for your dedication and progress.

This week, I'm sharing one of my all-time favorite posts from Jeff. I always find it stirring and energizing.

JeffN wrote:I received an email in response to all the posts and comments of late in regard to this topic, saying my message and my guidelines are in and of themselves, too strict and I should "soften" them and my message as I make it too difficult for people.

In a way, this is true. My guidelines are fairly strict as is my message. However, while my guidelines are fairly strict, they are also realistic, healthy and effective with acceptable ranges, they are not elitist and I do not insist on absolute purity.

This is a completely different issue that judging people for where they are on the path and how far they have gone in regard to meeting those guidelines.

Yes, I set the bar fairly high and do not compromise on it. The reason is, my message is not for the general public or for general "vegans." My message is for my clients who are very very sick & come to me looking to recover from and/or reverse their disease. That is the majority of who I work with. That is who comes to the programs I work with.

They come to me or these program usually after all else has failed them. These program help them to recover & reverse their disease as is documented in over 100 published studies over the last 5 decades.

The problem we see on occasion is that many who are not very sick, or just looking for minor changes, join in the discussions not realizing that the main message may not be for them. They may not be the target audience.

That is fine. But I will not dilute my main message because of it as I owe my main audience and clients, nothing less.

For those wanting less, I do show them how to navigate without being as strict.

The problem is that we, as a nation, including the health conscious crowd, are so far off-base, that even when they think they are being healthy, it is so far from what "healthy" really is. I am about to come out with a set of nutrition, dietary and health guidelines for the WFPB world and as we will see, we are soooo far away from what is considered healthy, even by the guidelines of any of the credible national health organizations. So, yes, we take in soooo much added sugars, added salt, refined grains, added oils, etc, so reducing them enough to meet even the national guidelines seems like a long way to go. So, while my guidelines for added sugars, salt, etc may seem strict, they do not insist on absolute purity.

As many of you know, all of this is clearly explained in all my DVDs, talks, articles, etc, especially the ones on moderation and triage.

For those wanting a much softer, easier way, there are many others offering it. My blessing to you as you travel that path.

For those wanting this message, and want to travel along this path with me, I have nothing but compassion, support and hope for you and your progress, no matter how slow or how far you are or get.

However, as we travel the path together, I will continue to hold the bar up high for you with realistic guidelines that are achievable, healthy and effective. I owe you nothing less.

Have a fabulous, triumphant week! Take care & be well. :D
Mark Cooper

Re: The Behavioral Path to MWL Success - July 2023 Group

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:51 pm

Hi Team Time & Adherence, :)

I missed posting for this week’s check in – but wanted to say HI to everyone and hope you all have an amazing week!

Thank you, Mark for your comments last week – very helpful! I am feeling great about food and exercise --- so, focusing on what Dr. Lim calls the “inner rail”… excited to see where that goes!

I did still assess my week against the checklist – 10 yes. I went out to eat with pickleball peeps after a tournament and remembered NOT to order the salad where they put on the avocado – so yay to that (got 2 dry baked potatoes and a salad with just mixed greens and tomatoes)!

The winning melon is Sugar Kiss. It’s a cantaloupe and if you can find them … buy a bunch – they are delicious!

Cheers,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby BambiS » Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:08 pm

7-27

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
Some days

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for desert
Some days

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
Yes

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
Yes, not an issue here

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
No, did have some avocado on salad

6. Eliminate any added oil.
Yes

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.
Yes

8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself
Yes

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Some days

Victories, comments, concerns, questions good week, nothing eventful.

I’m finally retired. Hopefully I can get into a better lifestyle. I’m looking forward to having more time
BambiS

Postby Rebecka22 » Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:45 am

1.Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). YES
6. Eliminate any added oil. YES
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES

Today marks four years since I started eating only plants. Not four years yet with MMW, but on my way. This week was different as I ended up in the emergency room with severe abdominal pain. After an ultrasound and a ct scan they said they thought it was caused by constipation. While I was glad it was nothing serious, it was also confusing and I am still confused and trying to figure out what I should be doing. They have me on mirolax and I’ve upped my water intake and I ate soup instead of salad yesterday, but I just wish I trusted that the doctors knew about nutrition and could give me better advice. Here’s to a better week!
Rebecka22

Postby Starflower » Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:53 am

July 28th

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES

2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for desert. YES

3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts.  This includes gourmet sugars and salts too.  If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES

4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). NO - I had some avocado and almonds. This is the biggest struggle for me.

6) Eliminate any added oil. YES

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full.   Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. NO - One meal was uncomfortably large due to feeling very stressed.

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). NO - I missed a couple of days.

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:

It wasn’t a perfect week, but it was a reasonably good one. Better planning on a day-to-day basis is needed. I need to put as much as possible on automatic to avoid quick and careless decisions when ‘I don’t have time to think about this’ and also to avoid emotional eating. I’m a work in progress!

Wishing everyone a wonderful and successful week! :)
This journey is one of constant small adjustments. Nothing is ever static, no matter how long you've been eating this way. If something isn't working, you tweak it and make small changes until it works better.
- Wildgoose
Starflower

Postby Gimmelean » Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:01 pm

Post for week ending 7/28/23

I missed this past week’s post and making sure this one’s early.

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
Yes. Very simple habit that’s especially appealing in the summer. A big container of mixed washed fresh raw vegetables that will last for several days in the fridge. Good for snacks, pre-meals, ready to grab and go and to pack for work. Trying to cut back on too much sweet fruit.

2). Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals.
Yes. If I’m going to err on one side of the 50 or other, I try to bulk up on the green and yellow veggies. I must have no less than 15 pounds of potatoes of several different varieties on hand and have set a goal NOT to buy any more until they are all gone. The price of the whole “collection” however does not equal the price of meat that would feed a family for just a single dinner.

3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts.  This includes gourmet sugars and salts too.  If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
Yes

4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish,)
Yes

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu,soy).
Yes

6) Eliminate any added oil.
Yes

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air popped popcorn, and dried fruit.
No!! Sneaking in bread here, candy there, and while the cravings aren’t pressing, I know I need to cut this out now or they will be.

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes. Been really enjoying ice cold water infused with home grown mint and dried hibiscus. You can find hibiscus in tea bags or in bags from stores that sell Caribbean goods. Very refreshing, 0 calories, and it feels like an indulgence.

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full.   Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
Yes. This has been much easier lately.

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
Yes.

Victories,Comments,Concerns:
I LOVED Jeff’s messages that were quoted in Mark’s closings the past two weeks.
See you in August!
Gimmelean

Postby Taters » Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:15 am

Hi everyone, I've been completely MIA for a few weeks. Weekend life has been busy this summer and I keep forgetting to post in the group.

Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Yes
Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.Yes
Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Yes
Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Yes
Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). Yes
Eliminate any added oil. Yes
Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Yes
Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes
Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. Yes
Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Yes - daily walk

Victories/Comments: I had a good week keeping to the guidelines. I will mention that after I put the kids to bed last night, a bag of Doritos was singing their siren song from the kitchen cabinet. I stayed strong though and had some oatmeal and brushed my teeth. I usually don't keep Doritos in the house but they were bought for my kids' camp lunches this week. I still struggle finding enough food options I can pack for the kids that they like and will eat. I give them sandwiches, fruit, applesauce, and other healthy options but it can be difficult for me to provide enough food for them so sometimes I go for an easy option of grabbing a bag of chips at the store. The grocery shopping last week had my laziness winning out over my knowledge that it may be tempting for me. Most weeks my knowledge wins out but not always!
Taters

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:12 pm

Hi Team Time & Adherence, ❤️

Happy Saturday! :D

1 Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
Sometimes. Going to move this to a more consistent YES as I am sitting at top of maintenance range. I am still eating melons – they are delicious right now!

2 Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.
Yes. Loving the food – lots of oatmeal, brown rice, corn, beans, and potatoes. Some whole wheat pasta! Always with fruit and veggies.

3 Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
Yes. Reduced, not eliminated.

4 Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
Yes.

5 Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
Yes.

6 Eliminate any added oil.
Yes.

7 Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes, puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn, and dried fruit).
Yes.

8 Don’t drink your calories especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
Yes.

9 Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
Yes. No stuffing and no starving.

10 Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
Yes - 7 /7. Mostly walking and pickleball – love them both. Started doing some foam rolling which has been mapping where I need to do more stretching. (Spoiler – most everywhere!)

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:

Mark Thanks so much for your kind and patient weekly support!
Bambi – Congratulations on your retirement!!
Rebecka – Happy Plantiversary!! Hope that you are feeling better.
Gimmelean – Thanks for sharing on the hibiscus – going to give this a go.
Hi Starflower and Taters (also anyone else to come)!

I can’t believe it is almost August – summer is flying! Hope that everyone has a fantastic and successful week! :cool:

Best,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Reporting for this week's Assessments is now CLOSED

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:04 pm

The window for reporting this week's behavioral results has officially closed.

My replies and the weekly summary will follow.
Mark Cooper

Mark's Replies for July 28

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:05 pm

BambiS - Congratulations on your long-awaited and well deserved retirement! Seems like you had a pretty solid week from the behavioral perspective, too. Enjoy your newfound freedom! :D

Rebecka22 - Another week of outstanding adherence! Congrats to you on four years of plant-exclusive eating. I'm so sorry you were experiencing abdominal pain this week - I'm sure that was a really unpleasant experience. I'm in agreement with you that it can be hard to assess the quality of evaluation, diagnosis, care and advice one is getting in interactions with the medical system, particularly so in the emergency room; that has certainly been my experience, too. Here is Dr. McDougall's general discussion of constipation, and Jeff discusses it in this thread. Hope you feel better soon!

Starflower - Kudos to you! I will take thoughtful assessment, planning and adjustment over perfection every time! :nod: I completely agree that the more you can make your routine in support of the recommendations "automatic", the better your adherence is likely to be. Do you have any specific plans or ideas for how to do that in a way that feels manageable and attainable (and as easy as possible)? We're all works in progress, right? Keep working! :-D

Gimmelean - Great progress! Your infused water sounds like a lovely treat during these hot summer days. :) Any particular context informing or influencing those more calorie rich foods "sneaking in"? Wishing you the best as you make your way through your "potato collection"! ;-)

Taters - A 10/10 is a pretty great way to resume reporting, Rachael! Awesome victory in resisting the siren song of non adherent food; navigating, negotiating and finding ways to make everything work in a household with many different dietary preferences and needs can absolutely be challenging at times. Cheers to you for being dedicated enough to thread that needle!

VegSeekingFit - Happy Saturday, Stephanie! Summer definitely feels like it is rushing past at full throttle. :nod: Thanks so much for sharing your 1st place melon pick; we tried out the sugar kiss this week and it is fabulous. Cantaloupe isn't normally my favorite but that is a really good one. Onward!
Mark Cooper

In Closing,

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:07 pm

Well, folks, that is it for July! Thanks for your dedicated efforts and making this a great month of learning and conversation. :D

The new thread for August will be posted on Tuesday, August 1. I hope to see you there!

Have an amazing week, take care & be well! :D
Mark Cooper

Previous

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program