The Behavioral Path to MWL Success - June 2023 Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: The Behavioral Path to MWL Success - June 2023 Group

Postby Ejg » Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:11 am

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. yes
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. yes
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. yes
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). yes
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). yes
6. Eliminate any added oil. yes
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. yes
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). yes
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. yes
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). yes

Happy to again just report a simple "yes" for all of the above. Been in a really good groove. I've been taking short walks every day but not working out as much as I usually do. Number on the scale continues to go down, not that that's the most important thing to be paying attention to, just noting that it's happening. Anyway I'm continuing to do the thing and it seems to be working well. Paid particular attention to #9 this week. Happy June, talk next week!
Though it feels malevolent, resistance operates with the indifference of rain and transits the heavens by the same laws as the stars. When we marshal our forces to combat resistance, we must remember this.
Ejg

Postby trueunity » Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:37 am

Week ending on 06/16

A 10-Point Checklist for Maximum Weight Loss

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.

Yes...I start each meal with 8 oz of steamed veggies and 1 piece of fruit at breakfast, 8 oz steamed veggies and 8 oz raw salad. and 1 piece of fruit at lunch and 8 oz steamed veggies and 8 oz raw salad at dinner.

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.

Yes

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.

Yes

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).

Absolutely Always

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).

No...had 1 small avocado over the course of the week.

6. Eliminate any added oil.

Yes

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.

Yes

8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).

Yes

I do drink coffee (black) which has minimal calories.

Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full.

Yes....I believe that I'm doing this, but at the same time maybe I'm doing it wrong. Still struggle with portion sizes. 50/50 is such a loose boundary for me. Either I need to put less food on my plate, eat my food on a small plate or have clearer amounts for each portion of food.

9. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.

Yes

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).

Absolutely Yes.....I get 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise 7 days a week.
Last edited by trueunity on Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trueunity

Postby Hjklost55 » Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:50 pm

June 16, 2023

Hello T & A Group
This week has flown by. And here we are again. Hope everyone is having a great summer.

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
YES Continue with my soup at every meal. Loving it cold for the summer. :-D

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.
YES :-D

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
YES This is the easy one. :-D

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).

6. Eliminate any added oil.
YES Another easy one. :-D

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.
NO, had a weak moment at my friends house and ate a non-compliant lemon bar. (I only ate one, not three. Even though I wanted more) But the victory in it was… I struggled with the emotional side of it that evening, but the next day, I was right back on track. When in the past that could has sent me off the rails for days, maybe weeks. SO….. small victory. :roll:

8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
YES I really think I am doing better with this category. I am asking myself, “Have I had enough” about 3/4 through the meal. AND have actually left a few bites in my bowl occasionally. :eek: :nod:

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
YES Now that we are at our summer location, I’m not able to play pickleball every day. Which I miss. But I am getting at least 30 minutes of walking in daily. Twice this week, I have walked down to our mailbox which is 4 miles round trip. :nod: :eek: :nod:

Victories, Comments, Concerns, Questions: Overall, I am feeling GREAT. I do have some different challenges here in the summer location. But will take them one day at a time, and plan ahead with my food so not to get caught up in the food drama. I have been working on my “mind chatter”. BeachBody has some online meditation clips that have been helpful and I have been doing daily before I get out of bed. (Seems to be a good time for me) The scenery is so beautiful and serene here. Can’t help but be grateful and appreciate it all. Also appreciate this group, and all the moderators for your continued support.

Have a great week.
Holly
Hjklost55

Postby Taters » Sat Jun 17, 2023 4:38 am

Good Morning all,

Well I've missed reporting 2 weeks in a row. I would have a reminder go off to do so but then would get caught up in everything that the day would bring. My new plan - report in early on Saturday morning.

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. yes

2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for desert. yes

3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. yes

4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). yes

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). yes

6) Eliminate any added oil. I had a few french fries I baked in the oven for the kids.

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. yes

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). yes

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. Yes.

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Yes, walking for the win

Comments/Victories: Even though I missed reporting the last couple weeks, I've been in a pretty good groove. It feels wonderful! I did learn that it's too hard for me to bake french fries and then not eat any so I won't be buying those anymore. It worked for my cereal dilemma so I'll follow suit here.

I have a wedding coming up in a week and a half and I'm feeling a bit anxious about it. We'll be flying out to Milwaukee and staying out there for a week. The groom is my brother in law and knows I eat a "specific way" so he has been working with me to be sure I'm served something that I can eat at the rehearsal dinner and wedding. I'm so grateful for this. I think the anxiety is in relation to the airbnb we are staying in with some of my husband's extended family. Most of them don't know I eat this way and I know there will be lots of temptation along with being outside of my normal environment and routine. I plan to hit a grocery store when we arrive so I have food ready for me when I'm hungry. i'm sure alcohol will be readily available too. I've never been much of a drinker but occasionally have felt the need to fit in. This week I'm going to continue to think of any other things I can do to set myself up for success. I'm all ears if anyone has any suggestions!
Have a great week!
Rachael
Taters

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:14 am

Hi Team Time & Adherence, :)

Hope everyone is doing wonderful!!! Has been a busy week – looking for some lazy summer afternoons --- SOON!

1 Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
Sometimes.

2 Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.
Yes. Still enjoying the same meals. I may mix it up a bit more next week – have a craving for whole wheat pasta!!

3 Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
Yes. Reduced, not eliminated.

4 Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
Yes.

5 Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
Yes.

6 Eliminate any added oil.
Yes.

7 Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes, puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn, and dried fruit).
Yes.

8 Don’t drink your calories especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
Yes.

9 Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
Yes – no stuffing and no starving.

10 Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
Yes - 7 /7. Walking a good clip each day and playing pickleball as much as I can.

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:

I have a large work picnic coming up this week. Am planning to EAT before and bring some potatoes in my purse (and will bring my bigger purse! :lol: ). Otherwise, I will eat only any plain salad or fruit and drink water. I believe that there will be multiple activities / lawn games so will be all over that (bocce ball, bags, sand volleyball). Wish me luck!!

I am loving absorbing some of the messages of James Clear (Atomic Habits). Found this thought which resonates:

“Mastery requires both impatience and patience.
The impatience to have a bias toward action, to not waste time, and to work with a sense of urgency each day.
The patience is to delay gratification, to wait for your actions to accumulate, and to trust the process.”

Happy Father’s Day to all our group dads!!

Hope everyone enjoys the week. Stay sunny!!

Best,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby Gimmelean » Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:09 am

Post for week ending 6/16/23
Hello

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
Yes.

2). Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals.
Yes. Making lots of whole grain pasta salad with roasted vegetables and chick peas or cannellini beans and still not tired of it.

3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts.  This includes gourmet sugars and salts too.  If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
Yes

4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
No- on Wednesday, work brought in a Mr. Softee truck for an annual celebration and I even went back for more.

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu,soy).
Yes

6) Eliminate any added oil.
Yes

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air popped popcorn, and dried fruit.
Yes. Except Wednesday- chips, and a brownie.

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full.   Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
Yes. Except Wednesday.

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
Yes.

Victories,Comments,Concerns, Questions:
One of my favorite quotes is “ Rest not from duty, but find rest in it”. My duty to myself is to follow MWL and I really have much more peace of mind when I follow it to the letter. I did very well until I didn’t this week. My junk foods were so NOT worth it after the fact, but back on track.
Have a good week ahead everyone.
Gimmelean

Postby Noella » Sat Jun 17, 2023 1:00 pm

Hi Mark, Wildgoose, Jeff, and Everyone on this Behavioural Path to MWLSuccess - a journey toward better health!

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. yes, almost 100%
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. yes
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. yes
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). yes
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). no, a bit of avocsdo
6. Eliminate any added oil. yes
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. no, one bread bun
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). yes
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. yes
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). yes

[color=#0000FF]I've been doing very well with my MWL routines lately. One quote from Dr. Lim's video (mentioned a week ago) was the importance of cultivating an 'inner nurturer' rather than allowing an 'inner critic' to cause damage. I'm currently staying in a comfortable home by the ocean for the next eight weeks, which makes daily walks on the sandy beach and seaside trails a natural part of my routine and enjoyable. Lately, I've been making a conscious effort to find something joyful to do each day and eliminate things that do not bring joy. Being part of this weekly group brings me a great deal of joy, knowledge and camaraderie.

I was recently offered a more demanding volunteer position that would involve extra Zoom meetings, occasional travel to a major city (expenses covered), and greater prestige as a Director and with it, more responsibility. While I was extremely honoured to be chosen for the position, and I was tempted, I wrestled with the idea of how much joy it would bring into my life. I would be meeting and serving an organization with about 30,000 members. I ultimately decided to decline the offer because I want to prioritize my time with my husband, children and grandchildren, my own self-nurturing and finding joy in each of my daily actions. In the past, I would have said yes to everything this volunteer position required and done even more than expected. I may have become so busy and worried about this new role that I would of risked stepping into 'burnout' as a volunteer, so it feels really empowering to make my own well-being a top priority. I'm now off to walk on the beach and enjoy watching for whales, and enjoy seeing all of the families kayaking, paddle boarding and the variety of dogs running, and the amazing sounds of talking and laughter and sights of smiles and happiness of summer fun on a flat sandy beach.
Last edited by Noella on Sat Jun 17, 2023 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noella

Reporting for this week's Assessments is now CLOSED

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Jun 17, 2023 1:08 pm

The window for reporting this week's behavioral results has officially closed.

My replies and the weekly summary will follow.
Mark Cooper

Mark's Replies for June 16

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Jun 17, 2023 1:21 pm

BambiS - Awesome! Your focus on adhering to the recommended behaviors was reaffirmed; I'm sure that contributed to this feeling like such a good week, right? Keep it up!

Rebecka22 - That is fantastic! That feeling when you know you are prepared and everything just starts to drop into place is wonderful. Glad to know you are feeling good about how things are going. Enjoy the training time with your daughter! :D

Ejg - Woo-hoo! All those simple yeses definitely seem to make for a good groove. :nod: Carry on doing what you're doing. Happy June!

trueunity - Seems like a pretty solid week to me! What did you think about the week, overall? How would you feel about eliminating the remaining higher fat plant foods? If that is something you are willing to pursue, how might you go about working towards it? Keep aiming for eating the recommended foods, in the recommended fashion, whenever you feel hungry and have a great week!

Hjklost55 - Feeling GREAT overall seems like a pretty amazing way to be feeling! :D From your subjective experience, did that moment at your friend's house feel like a depletion of willpower (i.e., were you hungry) or an occasion where the environment, social cues, and overall situation created an obstacle that was unexpected and didn't seem surmountable with the available tools in that moment? How might you approach things differently in the future?
Hjklost55 wrote:But the victory in it was… I struggled with the emotional side of it that evening, but the next day, I was right back on track. When in the past that could has sent me off the rails for days, maybe weeks. SO….. small victory.
I don't think that victory is a small one, Holly! :) I think the mental and emotional aspects of practicing this pattern of behavior within the context of our society can play a big role. Kudos to you on that victory!
Hjklost55 wrote:I do have some different challenges here in the summer location. But will take them one day at a time, and plan ahead with my food so not to get caught up in the food drama.
:thumbsup: Enjoy the beauty and serenity!

Taters - Glad it feels like you are in a good groove, Rachael! Feeling wonderful is the best reward, right? How lovely that your brother-in-law is making the effort to ensure that you'll be well accommodated at his rehearsal dinner and wedding.
Taters wrote:I plan to hit a grocery store when we arrive so I have food ready for me when I'm hungry.
Sounds like a great idea; the more you can make the recommended foods readily available and easy to access in that new and unfamiliar environment, the better support for your adherence. Speaking as someone who has abstained from consuming alcohol for quite a number of years, I've had pretty good success "fitting in" with soda water and a twist of lime. When it is in your hand, no one can tell what exactly you are drinking. ;-)
Taters wrote:This week I'm going to continue to think of any other things I can do to set myself up for success.
Seems like exactly the right attitude! :D

VegSeekingFit - Your consistent, diligent adherence keeps rolling forward, Stephanie, busy week or not! Here's hoping for some lazy summer afternoons in your immediate future! :lol: My daughter must be tuned into the same frequency as you, she had whole wheat pasta for 5 out of 7 dinners this week. Sounds like you have a solid plan for that work picnic, and it seems like it should be fun, too. Best of luck and thanks for sharing the fascinating quote about mastery!

Gimmelean - A really solid week apart from Wednesday, and great work getting right back on track afterwards! You clearly put a great deal of thought and effort into being well-prepared, as evidenced by your consistently organized food prep. What do you think the primary drivers or contributors to those behavioral anomalies on Wednesday were? Was it just primarily that dramatic (and, I imagine, exciting) change in the work environment? Or were there other things you think played a role?
Gimmelean wrote:One of my favorite quotes is “ Rest not from duty, but find rest in it”.
A lovely quote, and apropos, as well. Onward!

Noella - Nice progress! I'm happy you feel like your efforts are going well! Your seaside days filled with joy sound so idyllic! I confess to being a little envious. :mrgreen: Congratulations on being offered that prestigious volunteer position. It seems like you were quite thoughtful in weighing the positives and the downsides, and you came to the decision that felt right for you in the present; congratulations on that, too!
Noella wrote:it feels really empowering to make my own well-being a top priority.
:thumbsup: :-D :thumbsup: Enjoy!
Mark Cooper

In Closing,

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Jun 17, 2023 1:34 pm

June is over half gone already! Kudos to all our group participants for your magnificent ongoing efforts! It is exciting and rewarding to be in your company. :-D

I was involved in a couple different conversations and correspondences this week wherein the BROAD Study was mentioned, so I thought I'd post a "rerun" of the summary from January, particularly since we have a few new members since then.

Mark Cooper wrote:An interesting study to read about this week; some of you may already be familiar with this, but it still feels relevant to me.

The BROAD study: A randomised controlled trial using a whole food plant-based diet in the community for obesity, ischaemic heart disease or diabetes(link is to Jeff's discussion post).

A few points that seem particularly notable from Jeff's discussion: These dietary recommendations look a lot like MWL, don't they? ;)
JeffN wrote:Here is the recommended food list

Looks a little like the MWL :)

Significantly,
JeffN wrote:"This randomised controlled trial compared a 12-week WFPB dietary programme to normal care alone. The intervention led to significant and sustained BMI and weight reduction at all measurement points compared with the control group. To the best of our knowledge, there are no randomised controlled trials that have achieved a greater average weight loss over a 6- or 12-month period, without mandating regular exercise or restricting total caloric intake. The key difference between this trial and other approaches to weight loss was that participants were informed to eat the WFPB diet ad libitum and to focus efforts on diet, rather than increasing exercise. The mechanism for this is likely the reduction in the energy density of the food consumed (lower fat, higher water and fibre).

Something else that I think is important to recognize, is that the intervention wasn't just conveying the list of food recommendations.
The intervention group attended 2-h evening sessions twice-weekly for 12 weeks. We ran sessions at a local polytechnic, incorporating a chef-guided cooking tutorial and presentation by doctors, with a discussion. Special events included screening the documentary 'Forks Over Knives' and an accompanying film endorsing the WFPB diet; discussion sessions; restaurant meals; quiz night; potlucks; and graduation ceremony.
I think this sort of ongoing education, support, assessment and community-building is an important piece of the puzzle for lasting success.

Happy Father's Day to all the Fathers within, around, or adjacent to our group!

Let's all do what we can to make the week ahead successful, enlightening, and enriching! Take care & be well! :D
Mark Cooper

Postby trueunity » Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:08 pm

Mark

"What did you think about the week, overall?"

This week over-all has been pretty good. I have had a lot of self doubts, I'm highly self critical, I feel like a failure most days, since I can't seem to lose the weight my body is holding on to. I have been really hungry a couple of times this week. But I did not act on the hunger since I'm trying to get the scale to move.

How would you feel about eliminating the remaining higher fat plant foods?

I feel okay with eliminating the avocado. I just wanted to see if I felt different adding in some fats, didn't feel different and didn't crave it. Actually didn't miss it at all from my diet. I'm having some female concerns and all the experts say that I may need to add healthy fats to my diet. That's why I have been trying different types.

If that is something you are willing to pursue, how might you go about working towards it?" All I have to do is not buy it. It's not something I have to have. I'm just confused because all the different plant based specialists say something different as to what the female body needs for good hormone health. I'm struggling with my womanness. I have been eating this way for 3 years now and I can't seem to fix my issues.
trueunity

Postby Mark Cooper » Sun Jun 18, 2023 4:20 am

trueunity wrote:This week over-all has been pretty good. I have had a lot of self doubts, I'm highly self critical, I feel like a failure most days, since I can't seem to lose the weight my body is holding on to.
It can be really hard to do, but I would very much encourage you to try focusing your framework for success on ADHERENCE to the recommended pattern of behavior across a substantial span of time, rather than episodic feedback from the scale.
trueunity wrote:I have been really hungry a couple of times this week. But I did not act on the hunger since I'm trying to get the scale to move.
JeffN wrote:The fundamental basic principle of the MWL Program and the principles of calorie density is "whenever hungry, eat until comfortably full of the recommended foods." Because of this, there is no reason for anyone to feel hungry when following our guidelines. The recommended foods are minimally processed starches, fruits and vegetables. The most satiety, short term and long term comes from minimally processed starches and to keep the calorie density low, have them with some non-starchy vegetables. Remember, we do not have to figure out if it is true hunger, appetite, craving, etc. However, to be successful, you have to prepare for success and make sure you have availability of minimally processed starches throughout the day.

At the 10-Day program, the snack room is full of veggies (cherry tomatoes, baby carrots), fruits (apples, oranges) and starches (regular hummus, roasted red pepper hummus, potatoes, Split pea soup, Black bean soup, and Lentil Couscous soup). People choose from both the starches and fruits/vegetables. Choosing just vegetables or fruit will not be enough for most people to feel satiated. if you experience cravings for unhealthy foods, you can beat these cravings by choosing healthy foods to eat and knowing that these cravings will eventually pass and stop. However, you can not beat your biology (hunger) and your biology/hunger will eventually win.
JeffN wrote:You don’t have to figure it out or work out it. Only follow the guidelines. When hungry (regardless of whether you may think it is true hunger, appetite, or something else) just eat. Eat of the recommended foods as outlined in the 10 point checklist.

Over time, it will work itself out.
Here is a link to any excellent post from Jeff discussing specifically how to apply the fundamental principles we recommend.
trueunity wrote:I'm just confused because all the different plant based specialists say something different as to what the female body needs for good hormone health. I'm struggling with my womanness.
Below are a few articles offering Dr. McDougall's recommendations in regard to hormone dependent conditions, acne, and fertility that may be helpful.

Hormone Dependent Diseases

Acne

Food & Fertility

Do you have a PCP or healthcare provider to work with regarding these concerns? I am not qualified to speak to specific, individual health issues, nor would it be appropriate to do so in this forum. :)
Mark Cooper

Postby wildgoose » Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:32 am

Trinity, I think Mark has given you some excellent links. I want to add a couple more.

When I attended the 12-day program, I asked Dr. McDougall a "female-related" question. One of the resources he pointed me to was the 1999 book "The McDougall Program for Women." He said the contents are still valid (as is most of his earlier work, which has stood the test of time amazingly well). The book is available in many libraries, or as an e-book at a very reasonable cost through the McDougall online store.

I’d also recommend searching past McDougall newsletters for issues of interest. There’s a goldmine of information in those writings.

Goose
My story: MWL works!
How I determined my "goal weight"
wildgoose

Postby wildgoose » Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:11 am

Taters wrote:I have a wedding coming up in a week and a half and I'm feeling a bit anxious about it. We'll be flying out to Milwaukee and staying out there for a week. The groom is my brother in law and knows I eat a "specific way" so he has been working with me to be sure I'm served something that I can eat at the rehearsal dinner and wedding. I'm so grateful for this. I think the anxiety is in relation to the airbnb we are staying in with some of my husband's extended family. Most of them don't know I eat this way and I know there will be lots of temptation along with being outside of my normal environment and routine. I plan to hit a grocery store when we arrive so I have food ready for me when I'm hungry. i'm sure alcohol will be readily available too. I've never been much of a drinker but occasionally have felt the need to fit in. This week I'm going to continue to think of any other things I can do to set myself up for success. I'm all ears if anyone has any suggestions!

Ahh, Rachael, the infamous "need to fit in." It’s real, and it can make you uncomfortable, but there are ways of dealing with it while still being friendly and agreeable.

First of all, I’d recommend Dr. Doug Lisle's lecture Getting Along Without Going Along. It’s a great strategy for deflecting unwanted questions and comments about why you’re doing/eating what you’re doing/eating.

Drinking. I don’t drink. At all. So I never "fit in." After all these years, that doesn’t bother me, but in the days when it did bother me, my strategies were these:

1. Always have a drink in your hand. Preferably something that could be construed as being alcohol. Club soda and a wedge of lime in a highball glass was my weapon of choice. Tasty, refreshing, and great for deflecting offers of "can I get you a drink?"

2. Learn to deal with obnoxious questions and comments. So if you find yourself faced with a cousin-in-law calling you a spoil-sport or worse for not drinking, smile, shrug, say (cheerily) "that's me," and change the subject. After the first few times, it gets easy. Don’t engage, don’t refute. Disarm the comment and move on. It's the Doug Lisle strategy applied to drinking.

Plan, plan, plan — just as you’re doing. Don’t get hungry. And enjoy the time with family and friends! It’s not all about food. It’s definitely not all about what people think of you. Most of the time, they’re thinking far more about themselves. Relax and have a good time.

Goose
My story: MWL works!
How I determined my "goal weight"
wildgoose

Postby Rebecka22 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:22 am

1.Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. NO
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). NO
6. Eliminate any added oil. NO
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. NO
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). NO
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES

This week my cravings got the best of me. I didn’t totally go off plan and stay there, but I had a really strong desire for chocolate and sugar which won. I also ate out for Father’s Day and had mochas. I’m back at it now. I know I’ve made things harder for myself, but I also know I’ve done it before and I can get back on track again.
Rebecka22

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program