July 2021 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby Mark Cooper » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:19 am

July 2021 RESOURCES
This section will be updated throughout the month with links to useful resources, as they are added to the thread.

Orientation Information for McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group
MWL 10-Point Checklist
MWL Program Guidelines
Calorie Density: How To Eat More, Weigh Less and Live Longer
MWL Recipes
SNAP Meal Template
1- 28 oz Can No Salt Added Tomatoes
1- 16 oz Bag Frozen Mixed Veggies (any type)
1- 4 oz Frozen Green Leafy Vegetables (collard, turnip, mustard, etc)
1- Around 200-250 Calories of a Cooked Starch (Brown rice, Yam, Potato, WW Pasta, etc)
1- Seasoning (to your preference)

200- 250 Calories Of Starch options
~ 1.25 to 1.5 Medium Potatoes
~ 1.25 to 1.5 Cups (Cooked) Whole Wheat Penne Pasta
~ 1 to 1.25 Cups (Cooked) Brown Rice

The Road to Success: Creating Healthy Habits
The Pleasure Trap: Dr. Doug Lisle at TedxFremont
How to Lose Weight Without Losing Your Mind with Dr. Doug Lisle
Dr. Doug Lisle on The Ego Trap
Dr. Doug Lisle: The Story of Willpower – What it Is & How it Works
Dr. Lisle's Three Top Tips for Dietary Success
Jeff Novick, RD - Nutrition & Health FAQ: Answers To The Most Asked Questions
A Review of the Rules & Guidelines for Reading Labels
Passive Overconsumption: The Unintended Intake of Excess Calories
Why We Hit Plateaus and What We Can Do About Them
Struggling to Achieve Results? Here are 9 Reasons Why
Dining Out and Travel Food
Exercise, Health & You: How Much Is Enough?
Optimum BMI? / Optimal BMI - redux
Building Self-Efficacy
Amy's Giant List of Links to Dr. Lisle's Lectures
Mark Cooper

Postby Mark Cooper » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:23 am

The July MWL Group thread has arrived (a few days early ;) ). Let's make the most of this new month, and get things started right with a focus on the fundamental behaviors that lead to healthy, sustainable weight loss. For those of you who celebrate on July 4th, now would be a great time to start working on an adherent Independence Day meal plan. :-D
Mark Cooper

Re: July 2021 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby George Orwell » Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:58 am

HI all, I would like to join this group. I have read the orientation posts--I'll review them again to make sure I absorb the information. I am starting my MWL journey today.

-George
George Orwell

Postby Mark Cooper » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:42 am

George Orwell wrote:HI all, I would like to join this group. I have read the orientation posts--I'll review them again to make sure I absorb the information. I am starting my MWL journey today.

-George

Hi and welcome! Today is a great day to get started! :D
Mark Cooper

Postby Brandeeg » Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:03 am

Hello,
I would like to join this group. I have read the orientation posts-

-Brandee

Will this be safe for a breastfeeding/ pregnant mother?
Brandeeg

Postby JeffN » Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:50 am

Brandeeg wrote:Will this be safe for a breastfeeding/ pregnant mother?

You might find this article on pregnancy and children helpful

https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/nu ... hildren-2/

There is also a section on Family and Children where you can either post or read through the existing posts to see the experience of others

https://www.drmcdougallforums.com/viewforum.php?f=39

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby SunshineDay » Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:14 pm

July 1st! I would love to join as well, please! (I have also read the orientation)
SunshineDay

Postby OOnaOwl » Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:27 pm

I have read the orientation & am excited to participate this month. I had great success last month! I went on vacation the last few days of June & gained back 2 pounds eating off plan most of the time-lack of access to MWL foods-chose to enjoy the detour and enjoy the return to MWL now that I am home. I missed the last weigh in of June MWL group because I was in a mountain cabin with unreliable internet access. Already losing the vacation pounds & enjoying my on plan meals again. Though I "failed" at sticking to food plan on vacation, I "won" at the mindset portion which new success for me. In the past I would have beaten myself up and gotten very discouraged at my "failures". Instead I am seeing it as a momentary shift that I am now course correcting with joy & creativity & gratitude rather than guilt, shame & misery. Success! :) Thanks!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wAKnwyn/]

"Fall down seven times, stand up eight" -Japanese proverb
OOnaOwl

Postby Mark Cooper » Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:45 pm

Welcome, Brandeeg & SunshineDay, and welcome back OOnaOwl!

I'm looking forward to tomorrow's weigh-in and seeing everyone's reports! Friday is this group's weigh-in day, and participants have until noon pacific time (19:00 UTC) on Saturday to post a report of their result for the week. Reports posted outside that window of time won't be included in the summary that I compile for Saturday evening. This group is all about changing patterns of behavior, so it seems reasonable to me to expect those who choose to participate in the weekly weigh-in to honor that time frame for reporting. In addition to reporting your weight change in pounds, more importantly, please be sure to evaluate your behaviors within the context of the MWL 10-Point Checklist, as discussed at the beginning of this thread. I will respond to everyone's reports in a cumulative post on Friday evening and Saturday evening, and the summary for the week will be posted Saturday night.

For more information on why participants are recommended to weigh themselves once a week while in the weight loss phase, check out this excellent and thorough article from Jeff - To Weigh or Not to Weigh

My very best to all, and I'll see you tomorrow!
Mark Cooper

Postby Gabby7 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:41 pm

Hi all!

I have completed orientation and would like to be added to the group. Excited to get started!

- Gabby
Gabby7

Postby PonysPlants » Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:55 am

Loss of 1.2 lbs this week.

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. YES.
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES Easy. Vegan for life

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados,) YES
6. Eliminate any added oil. YES
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). NO. Had one smoothie when we were out and I couldn’t find anything compliant. Just a small one and mainly veg to carry me over until o could get home.
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more. YES.

Concentrated on the habits this week and feel very good about my weight loss because of it. I think some of the loss is from last week and revealed itself when I got my salt back under control. Really happy with it though. I’m now in the 130s! That was a pie in the sky dream of mine to be honest seeing as I started off in the 200s a while back. My original goal weight was 147 but now would like to be at 135. Just never thought I’d get there and now it’s on the horizon. I star McDougalled myself! Haha!

Thanks as always to the moderators. Especially Mark. Your compassion and encouragement has helped me so much.

Onwards to next week!

Naomi
PonysPlants

Postby squealcat » Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:18 am

Weight change +/- in lbs: last week: 192.9 and this week 189.2
loss: 3.7 pounds

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :-D
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :-D
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :-D
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :-D
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :? sunflower butter once
6. Eliminate any added oil. :-D
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :? toast with breakfast once
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :-D
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. :-D
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :-D

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: It was nice to jump back in this week and I made sure it would be easy by prepping ahead. Having cooked white potatoes, sweet potatoes and brown rice really made the week flow. I also had plenty of greens for my salad and steamed a couple of days worth of veggies too.

I had one breakfast out with friends this week and was able to have steel cut oats with berries. They were skimpy on the berries though so maybe not 50% of my plate. It also included a piece of whole grain toast with sunflower butter ....I guess I could have skipped that but didn't.

This week I made a huge salad each day and put part aside for dinner. I used that as my preload . It worked pretty well. I will continue with this this week.

I walked every day again this week. I usually take a couple of days off but I have been waking up with nerve or tendon pain down one leg and it feels better after my walk . It is getting better with walking and yoga stretches so I will continue with that.

Happy July everyone ! See you next week !
-squealcat (Marilyn)
squealcat

Postby deweyswakms » Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:37 am

Hello July 2021! sooooo glad the deadly heat here in the Pacific NW is gone, for now.

I rejoined in June to 'cut the crap' eating and lose a few more pounds. Wasn't too challenging to get back to the MWL way of eating.

SW 6/25/21 was 179.8
CW 7/2/21 i 178.0
Loss of 1.8#

:) on meeting all the guidelines, especially adding more non-starch veggies to my plate, and starting each meal with fruit + soup or salad greens.

Here's to a successful week for everybody, Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby George Ohwell » Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:28 am

July 2
I just started MWL yesterday so this will be brief:

* Weight change +/- in lbs: 0
* Assess the week in regard to each of the recommendations from the MWL 10-Point Checklist, at least in brief.
* Feel free to elaborate on specific points from the MWL Checklist where you succeeded and /or those that need greater attention, if that feels appropriate and applicable.
The point I will be focusing on all month is eating when hungry and stopping when full. I do know when I'm full. that is easy. I just have to stop the habit of eating to avoid getting on with my life. I'm really looking forward to tackling this.
* Victories, comments, concerns, questions
I was pleased with day 1 anyway!
I did have questions that I asked in my daily journal:
Are we supposed to limit fruits?
Is it okay to snack on fruits?
Is it okay to not eat beans?

I'm glad to be in this group. thanks everyone!
George Ohwell

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:28 am

I'm in for July :)

Weight change +/- in lbs: zero change this week

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. some
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. yes
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. yes
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). no. I had sushi once
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). no. I had avocado on a samwich and some pistachios
6. Eliminate any added oil. yes
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. no. Samwich for two lunches. It's a compliant bread, but it IS a flour product :roll:
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). yes
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. yes
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). yes

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: It was overall a pretty good week. Though I did have a few off plan things, I didn't get binge-y or out of control. In fact, I had some off plan stuff at one point, sitting right there. Ate a little bit, and then tossed it. So that was a triumph, but I had to shell out money for the off plan stuff, which was just stupid. It wasn't anything laying around the house. It was at the store...again, with finding crap at the freaking grocery store! But I did put the brakes on, and that's a triumph.
I'm aiming for 100% this first week of July.
Last edited by bunsofaluminum on Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program