July 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: July 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby josietheschnauzer » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:12 pm

Dear Jeff, I am sorry too. If it is any small consolation, there are legions including me who thank you for helping us change our lives around, eat to live not live to eat, use humor, and fight the tide in our food culture. Thank you.
josietheschnauzer

Reminder - Weigh-In on Friday, July 31, 2020

Postby Mark Cooper » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:04 pm

I'm looking forward to tomorrow's weigh-in and seeing everyone's reports! Friday is this group's weigh-in day, and participants have until noon pacific time (19:00 UTC) on Saturday to post a report of their result for the week. Reports posted outside that window of time won't be included in the summary that I compile for Saturday evening. This group is all about changing patterns of behavior, so it seems reasonable to me to expect those who choose to participate in the weekly weigh-in to honor that time frame for reporting. In addition to reporting your weight change in pounds, more importantly, please be sure to evaluate your behaviors within the context of the MWL 10-Point Checklist, if you please. I will respond to everyone's reports in a cumulative post on Friday evening and Saturday evening, and the summary for the week will be posted Saturday night.

For more information on why participants are recommended to weigh themselves once a week while in the weight loss phase, check out this excellent and thorough article from Jeff - To Weigh or Not to Weigh

My very best to all, and I'll see you tomorrow!
Mark Cooper

Postby LesleyMills » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:27 pm

4th week weigh in: was 178lbs now 178lbs, no technical loss.
As you might recall I'm weighing myself in kilos and then I convert this to lbs, my scales say I have lost 0.4kg but as this isn't a full lb and I'm averaging to the nearest lb, I have to accept that as far as my recording is going, I didn't lose this week.
The upside is that next week I only have to lose a fraction for the weight loss to show up so I'm hoping for a bigger lost next week.

I kept to the program this week all but on Wednesday I was with a friend and couldn't resist sneaking in about a dozen of their hot chips (french fries). Hot chips are for me extremely hard to pass up especially when someone next to me is eating them and offers me a few. Other than that I didn't break the rules.
Shame it wasn't as much this week but when I look at the fact that in just one month I've lost 5.2kgs (In my metric world) I am amazed at how well I've done and I haven't had the terrible cravings I've had with past diets. I've also found that my aches and pains (hang over from chemotherapy in 2013) are so much better which I'm putting down to the absence of wheat.
I for one will be continuing with this and will join the August group as I appreciate the support I'm getting by being part of a group.

Thanks everyone for being there with me on this journey and thanks to Mark and the team for your comments and guidance as this has been a tremendous help.
LesleyMills

Postby vegyluvver » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:51 pm

I'm kind of excited about the weigh in tomorrow but I'll be okay if I didn't lose weight because I had 8 good food days in a row and that's huge.
Val in SoCal
Focusing on the food, not the number on the scale.
vegyluvver

Postby PonysPlants » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:07 am

Down 0.8 lbs this week which is the 3rd time this month. Seems to be my go to number. Trying to remind myself that this is a fine and respectable number, consistency whilst it might not be the sexiest of phrases is definitely the key. I weighed myself yesterday and I was down 1.8lbs yesterday (clearly haven’t learned my lesson about just weighing once a week) so maybe more has come off. Can only go on the weekly snapshot and keep on with the plan. I am 5lbs off getting to a healthy BMI. Working towards August being the month that happens!

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES. I found a simple recipe on the internet for Indian style cabbage and potatoes this week and it’s so delicious I’ve eaten it about 5 times!
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Allowed more salt than ideal this week. Need to pull this one back.
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Easy. Vegan for life ;)
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). Yes.
6. Eliminate any added oil. Yes.
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES. Completed my personal mini mission to have zero bread this week!
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Found some really nice flavoured no sugar, no sweetener sparkling waters this week which I’ve stocked up on.
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. Yes.
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily. Hip pain is pretty much back to normal so I’ve been doing Pilates the last 3 days. Should be able to do something daily going forward.

STILL finding it really difficult to stick to 2 fruits. I normally have berries and a banana at breakfast so going forward I’ll just have one or the other, leaving one later for a snack.

Massive thank you to the moderators for doing so much work looking after us. You’re very much appreciated!
PonysPlants

Postby PonysPlants » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:06 am

Sorry, forgot to ask. Am I just automatically included in next months group? If not can I be added? Thanks!
PonysPlants

Postby Cathy Ann » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:52 am

current weight: 233
Start weight: 245
total loss: 12lb

1. have been successful the last couple of days.
2. Yes
3. 100% successful
4. Still working on this, need to adapt myself with social occasions. hope this will improve with work.
5. 100% successful
6. 100% successful
7. Almost there! my only problem is that i use dried mixed fruit in my oats. need to measure 1 teaspoon out, instead of a guess.
8. 100% successful
9. yes
10. Hardest for me, with my pain. Had some appointments this week, and only got in one pool session.

My thinking has changed! instead of thinking of what food I have to omit. I say out loud every morning that " I'm so lucky that I will be eating healthy food today, and I get to move my body today."

I am new to this lifestyle. Over this last month, I had to admit to myself that I'm a food addict. I have learnt that eating rich food, will active this addiction. I want to be very organized and stick with rule one, to help me resist temptation.
I'm very happy with the 12lbs weight loss this month, it was an up and down month, changing habits. I have been very successful with some changes, and still working on others. Weight loss has been on my mind constantly every day for the last 25yrs. I am looking forward to the day that this thought doesn't control my life, and my fat has gone. My future is waiting for me. Wishing everyone a healthy week!

Virus-free. www.avg.com
Cathy Ann

Postby josietheschnauzer » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:50 am

Happy July 31st! Just where did this month go!

Yea, I didn't gain anything this week.
_0_ pounds
I have lost 25.2 pounds since I started the MWL on April 1. I am very pleased!
See you all in August!
josietheschnauzer

Postby Wfpb2020 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:02 am

7/3/20: - 1.2 lbs
7/10/20: - 3 lbs
7/17/20: - 1 lb
7/24/20: - 0 lbs
7/31/20 - 4.2 lbs :)
Total Loss: - 9.4 lbs

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Yes
2) Follow the 50/50 plate method; Choose fruit for desert. Yes
3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. Yes
4) Eliminate all animal foods 4/7 had some half and half in my one coffee/day
5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods. Yes
6) Eliminate any added oil. 4/7 small amount of nuts (still working on this)
7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products, puffed cereals, popcorn and dried fruit. Yes
8 ) Don’t drink your calories. Yes
9) Eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve/stuff yourself. Yes
10) Aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily. Yes

Went back to coffee because of the constipation. It worked. Now need to train myself to drink it without the half and half. Thank you, Mark for all your great suggestions. I plan on trying the cheese recipe this week.
Wfpb2020

Postby Abe » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:30 am

Weight Change: 0 lbs.

MWL Points:
  1. Start meals with soup or salad.
  2. Follow 50/50 plate volume.
    I continue to have some meals and snacks throughout the week that are predominantly starch, rather than 50/50. I am going to really make an effort this week to make every snack and meal 50/50 since this seems to be an area where I continue to struggle with 100% adherence to the MWL guidelines.
  3. Eliminate sugar and salt.
  4. Eliminate animal based foods.
  5. Eliminate higher fat plant foods.
  6. Eliminate oil.
  7. Eliminate higher calorie dense foods.
  8. Do not drink your calories.
  9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself.
  10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
    I am enjoying the Power Zone training on my Peloton. Thanks wstokes for mentioning it. I am now actually training on the bike, rather than just taking the fun classes.
Abe

Postby Waterfit » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:32 am

This was my first week with a gain! :-( I thought I have been doing pretty well so a little disappointed. My only weaknesses are probably not enough veggies and too much fruit (summer fruit is so delicious) and only exercised 3-4 days a week. However my exercise could be anywhere from a 4 -13 mile run. Overall this month I have lost 5 lbs but most of it in the first 2 weeks. Several times this past year I have gotten to this weight and then stayed here for several months in spite of my efforts. Twice I saw 114.5 for a day but it doesn't stick. I may have to bump up my exercise to more consistency. I have just been lazy due to the pandemic.

Beginning wt: 120.5
Current wt: 116.5
Goal wt: 105
Gain: 1.5
Waterfit

Postby Joanne_elon » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:36 am

Good morning.
July. 3. 131 pounds
10 128.5
17. 127
24. 127
30. 126

I am happy with my weight loss this week.
I was very compliant the first two weeks then the 3rd
week I got off track ...was socializing, had a guest stay over and was away from home
a couple of days.
Now I am back on track. Happy that in the month I lost 5 pounds,!

Thank you for this on line support. It makes a big difference. Joanne

I
Joanne_elon

Postby Annegret » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:56 am

Good morning, this will be my first weight in. Started some changes last Monday , ate plant based maybe 80% of the time started to exercise. I am female, 5.8 inches and 55 years old. One of my goals is to pick up horseback riding again and be more active.
So today I weight in at 218.4 lb
Annegret

Postby Ladeux » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:07 am

Weight Change: 3.2 lbs.

MWL Points:
Start meals with soup or salad.
Follow 50/50 plate volume.
I appreciate the guidance from last week and it made a difference this week by going to 50/50 on starches I did increase satiety. I didn’t feel overloaded on green salad at every meal. Im still working on 100% adherence to the MWL guidelines.
Eliminate sugar and salt.
Eliminate animal based foods. I did slip here and had grilled salmon with grilled zucchini for spinner once.
Eliminate higher fat plant foods.
Eliminate oil.
I’m still measuring out a tablespoon of olive oil then adding vegetable broth or water if needed at 5he end. I’ll buy parchment paper for roasting and use water for sautéed vegetables this week.
Eliminate higher calorie dense foods.
Do not drink your calories.
Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself.
Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
Ladeux

Postby Dennis h » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:42 am

Was not as "good" as I should have been and the numbers this week show it...
Last week 224 lbs
this week 222lbs

-2 lbs for the week

238 at the start of the month for a monthly total of -16 lbs
moving, feeling better
lowered salt intake by not using the bought already made McDougall soups and not using the Flame Broiler "magic" and hot sauces on my veggie bowls
And missed only two days of walking at lunch this week
On to next week !

Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. NOT PERFECT THIS WEEK
Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. NOT PERFECT THIS WEEK
Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. CHECK
Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). CHECK
Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). NOT PERFECT
Eliminate any added oil. CHECK
Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. NOT PERFECT
Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). CHECK
Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.CHECK
Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). ALMOST PERFECT
Dennis h

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program