February 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: February 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Thread

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:27 pm

BlackBeanSoup - I'm so sorry to hear you are dealing with this issue, I wish you the very best with your upcoming appointments. Please let me know if you are needing any support from the group.

Carrieann - I'm so glad to hear your A1C is improving! It must be encouraging that your doctor is willing to work with you to find a way to manage your thyroid issues, and that she is relatively supportive of you pursuing this way of eating. I'm impressed that your confidence in the validity and effectiveness of the MWL 10-Point Checklist allowed you to have a well-informed discussion with her. Dr. McDougall discusses thyroid issues in this newsletter article, which may be of interest if you haven't already reviewed it.

wildgoose - Well said!

SherryW - I'm glad you found the linked discussion to be reassuring. It can take some time to unlearn that sort of "conventional wisdom."

wstokes - Woot for progress! How do you feel about your overall pattern of behavior for the week?

Vicki - Insufficient sleep can certainly have a variety of effects. Depending on the amount of weight you have left to lose, weight loss can definitely slow down and require increased attention to adherence.

Rachel - Great week!!! And I'm so glad to hear you are feeling great! Being mindful when we eat does seem to be helpful for many of us. :thumbsup:

Kirsty - I'm relieved to hear your daughter's surgery went well! Great news! I wish her a smooth and speedy recovery. I hope you are able to get a little better sleep now, and just keep doing the best you are able under the circumstances.

ltolar - Kudos! I'm glad you feel encouraged! How would you evaluate the way your week went?

moonlight - You certainly have to decide what seems best (and most motivating) for you under your current circumstances. It seems like you have a thorough assessment of where your efforts are breaking down, so now it may be a matter of finding a sufficient "why" to provide motivation. Being tired and stressed, we all definitely start to become more vulnerable to the multitude of environmental pressures and stimuli pushing us away from our best behaviors. I also imagine dealing with your dog's illness feels really debilitating, I feel for you. Please don't feel like you are a whiner or a failure, and I would encourage you NOT to stop posting. Try to be gentle with yourself, as guilt is rarely a motivating feeling. The principles of practicing this way of eating are simple, but they are not EASY. Each year giant corporations are spending untold dollars to make the calorie rich processed foods they peddle more and more hyperpalatable and intrusive, so there are definitely forces working against us. You recognize that right now, you are back in the pleasure trap, so make your preparations for getting back on track, take a moment to forgive yourself, and make your very next decision the best one you can make.

colleenaprn - Congrats! I'm glad you decided to start your food journal and have found it a helpful tool. As long as you are eating when hungry, and what you are eating adheres to the principles of the MWL 10-Point Checklist, you shouldn't worry too much about how many calories you are eating - keep in mind that even trained professionals are pretty inaccurate at determining a calorie count -
JeffN wrote:It is extremely difficult to count calories. This is not our fault as the tools and methods we have are just highly inaccurate. Trying harder to measure both calories in and calories out will not work as the fault is not in the effort we are applying, but in the accuracy of the tools and systems we have available. The process is like, as that old expression goes, trying to nail Jell-O to the wall, so trying harder isn’t really going to help.

The simple and easiest solution is to learn and understand the principles of calorie density. Once you do, you will never have to count calories or weigh, measure or portion food again.
The primary concern with letting oneself become overly hungry or not maintaining sufficient satiety is that it can often lead to a binge on off plan foods. I'm really pleased to hear that this group feels like a safe space for you - that is certainly my hope for everyone.

JaBee - Kudos! Any particular challenges or victories this week?

Drew* - Your current living situation is probably quite depleting, so the desire to want to have some fun and "celebrate" makes sense. I'm glad you are still convinced that this way of eating is an achievable lifestyle for you. At some point, when you are feeling comfortable with the idea, it might be beneficial to brainstorm some ways you could enjoy celebratory occasions without a return to foods that cause you to overindulge. All any of us can do is make the decision that feels most appropriate for us in any given situation.

laurag - Nice job shunning oil and high-fat foods! I think when you feel able to put the 50/50 plate into practice for each helping of food, it will very likely pay dividends for you. Getting to that "all-in" mindset is HUGE! I think you are correct - maintaining those behaviors you have learned for sufficient time that they become habits is definitely the road that will lead you where you want to go. As you continue to demonstrate to yourself the ability to maintain those behaviors in a variety of circumstances and external pressures, you will build more and more confidence. Way to go!

etoirocks - You are moving in the right direction, and it is important to keep in mind that it is the overall pattern over the long-term that is most important. I'm wishing your son a speedy recovery from his surgery, and hope your travel goes smoothly. I think your decision to recalibrate your expectations for February to a goal that feels motivating, but achievable, is wise. Just continue to focus on adhering to the MWL 10-Point Checklist to your absolute best ability, and you'll eventually reach whatever reasonable goal you set. Feeling AMAZING in one of the biggest wins any of us can have!

Jiffy - Your previous weigh-in was 243.4 lbs, so a gain of 0.4 lbs for this week, I believe. Where do you feel like you succeeded in applying the MWL principles this week? What might need greater attention?
Mark Cooper

Re: Weigh-In Report Compilation - February 14, 2020

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:30 pm

By my count, 30 participants reported for our second February 2020 MWL weigh-in! If I neglected to include anyone, or you notice an error in the tally, please let me know (via PM so we can keep the thread as tidy as possible).

Here are the results for the 2nd Friday in February:

Week ending 2/14/2020: 30 participants reported a total loss of -32.30 pounds
--------------------------------------------------
Stormy +1.50
Aprincess +1.40
Drew* +1.30
Lbell +1.00
LennieP +1.00
Jiffy +0.40
Total gains: +6.60
NO CHANGE / MAINTAIN / STARTING OUT
Deweyswakms 0.00
Kirstykay No Access To Scale
Laurag 0.00
Moonlight Reported, Chose Not To Weigh-In
NomeOslo -0.40
VGuzman -0.40
Ltolar -0.80
Pbnew -0.80
JaBee -1.00
Wstokes -1.00
Carrieann -1.30
Etoirocks -1.30
Rlechols -1.50
VegSeekingFit -1.60
Abe -1.80
BlackBeanSoup -2.00
Butterfly043 -2.00
Colleenaprn -2.00
Frowsyowl -2.20
SherryW -2.80
Michele613 -3.80
MaryP -4.00
Pootsy -4.00
Chaz01 -4.20
Total losses: -38.90
Cumulative group loss for February 2020: -59.80 pounds
Average loss for 2nd week of February 2020: -1.08 pounds
Cumulative group loss for January 2020: 384.15 pounds

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, February 21, 2020

To everyone who showed up and reported this week (especially if it was difficult to do so) you have my praise and admiration! To achieve what we desire, we all have to continue to put in the work each day, week and month; sometimes that work feels effortless and other times it appears to be a nearly unbearable burden. In either circumstance, if we don't do the work, we're preparing to fail rather than succeed. When we're not building and maintaining the pattern of behavior that supports our health and weight loss, what we are actually doing is spending our limited time and energy maintaining a pattern that is counter to those goals. Either way, we're making choices; we may as well give our absolute best effort to make decisions that serve us and of which we can feel proud.

In consideration of the wide range of topics that seem germane to this month's discussion, there are a few resources I want to highlight. While I was reviewing Jeff's thread regarding CRAP:The Illusion & Delusion of Healthy Packaged/Processed Foods, the following post on the Myth of Moderation jumped to my attention -
JeffN wrote:An exception to your diet is considered an exception because it is something you rarely do &/or makes up a very small part of your diet. If you start doing it, or several of them, every day and/or at every meal and it (or they) starts making up a larger part or even a main part of your diet, it is no longer an exception. This can happen even to those who are following a WFPB diet.

So, let's look at the impact of a few items that are often considered as exceptions and what would happen if you added in just a few of these.

- A tbsp of oil is ~120 calories

- A tbsp of sugar is ~50 calories

- An ounce of chocolate is ~150 calories

- A 5 oz glass of wine is ~120 calories

- A serving of a refined grain is ~80-100 calories

- A small piece of vegan pie, cake or a cookie can easily be 100-150 calories (or more).

The total of the above is over 620-690 calories which would be over 1/3 of an 1800 calorie diet, over 1/4 of a 2400 calorie diet. And that is for just one serving of each. If you have 2 servings of each, you are around 1300 calories which is over 2/3's of an 1800 calorie diet and over 1/2 of a 2400 calorie diet.

As you can see, it is very easy for these exceptions to add up. And, if you add in a few more of these "exceptions," the exceptions have become the rule, and the healthy foods have become the exception and while you may have an exceptional diet, it is not healthy.
To me, this is a powerful illustration of how rapidly "a few minor deviations" are able to add up and sabotage all our positive efforts. In his feature article The Myth of Moderation: Do All Foods Really Fit?, Jeff offers this definition for the concept of moderation:
Our current concept of “everything in moderation” comes from ancient Greece, where at the temple of Apollo at Delphi there was the inscription, “Meden Agan” or “Nothing in Excess.” From this, we got the concept of doing something “in moderation” which means, not doing it excessively. Therefore, someone who moderates their food consumption may choose to eat food from all food groups but will limit their intake of those foods that may cause deleterious effects.
How many of us, if we're being honest with ourselves, believe we are capable of choosing to consume CRAP foods, but limit their intake and thereby prevent deleterious effects? I certainly don't, which is why I've decided to abstain from consuming any of those foods, today and tomorrow and the next day. It is, of course, within my power to change that decision at any point in the future, but I have a pretty good idea what will happen if I make that choice.

Just today, Jeff organized several of the various discussions on dining out and restaurant food into a single thread; he will be including additional posts there in the future. The included study abstract for Quality of Meals Consumed by US Adults at Full-Service and Fast-Food Restaurants, 2003–2016: Persistent Low Quality and Widening Disparities contained the following eye-opener -
70% of Fast-Food (FF) meals are of poor quality
50% of Full-Service (FS) meals are of poor quality.
<1% of meals at FF and FS are of ideal quality.
which I think provides an alarming reminder about why, when dining out it is SO necessary to adequately prepare and make wise choices.

I want to conclude with a recommendation to take some time to review Jeff's answer to the question Can You Really Eat As Much As You Want? It covers a number of REALLY important points, and includes the following thorough explanation for the increasing difficulty of ongoing weight loss as we progress -
JeffN wrote:.. as someone loses weight and gets closer to their recommended weight, the weight loss becomes more difficult because the "margin of error" in the "energy balance" equation becomes much more narrow.

(I will be using certain averages and rules of thumb here to make a point. They are not perfect but they will highlight the issue)

For instance, if someone is around 300 lbs, their Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR) is burning about 3000 calories a day, even if they just lay in bed all day. Let's also add in about 500 calorie per day of just a basic low level of activity over the day.

Most any attempt to eat healthier will result in a lowered calorie density, lower caloric intake, and weight loss. So, lets say, they are consuming around 1800 on their best day and 2300 on their worst day. While that is a 500 calorie difference, either one would still result in weight loss. Even if they were not very compliant and adherent and had a few more indulgences than ideal, and took in 2500 to 2700 calories, they would still lose weight as they are burning about 3500 calories per day with little to no activity so .it would be hard not to.

As you can see, they have the capacity for a large margin of error in their calories and food intake and could still lose weight. So, even though it is not what is recommended, if it is what they are "hearing," they could actually be eating all the wanted whenever they wanted and still be losing weight.

They are loving it.

But, time has passed and they now weigh 200 and so their RMR is about 2000 calories a day, not counting any activity. They are still not very active so lets give figure around 350 calories per day (as there is much less of them, they burn less at the same activity level), so they are burning about 2350 calories per day.

If they are consuming the same foods, on the days in which they consume 1800 calories, they would still lose weight though it would result in some much slower weight loss. However, on the other days that they are consuming close to 2300, they may not lose any weight and on their days on indulgences, at 2500 to 2700, they wouldn't lose anything and would even see some weight gain.

Suddenly the weight loss slows down and even stops. They dont get it. They are confused, scared and troubled. They start hearing all kinds of myths and tales about why they are not losing weight some actually saying it is them. They ruined their metabolism over the years through a lifetime of yo yo dieting, their in starvation response, they need to kick start their metabolism again, they dont work out enough, and many other damaging statements.

They used to be able to eat any of the healthy food they wanted and even get away with junk foods and some not so healthy food and maybe not even exercise, because their RMR alone was 3000 calories. But now it is 2000. They lost 1000 calories in the equation.

The reality is, what they are experiencing is a very normal part of the process. They have reached a metabolic equilibrium in their energy balance. As some say, a plateau. This is normal, & to be expected during the weight loss process and is something that has a solution.

So, they would now have to make adjustments to the calorie density of the diet to lower the overall calorie density of their intake and to also look at whether they are really understanding the concepts of MWL and Calorie Density correctly. In addition, it may be time to consider a moderate amount of some formal activity/exercise as part of their life.

This would be the same principle if someone successfully went from 200 to 155 and now was having a harder time trying to get below 150.

The margin of error has become very narrow know and it is important to really understand the principles and to be much more compliant and adherent to them.

This is why the last 5-10 lbs are always the most difficult.

There is literally, no more wiggle room ;)

Of course, this is where sometimes people go elsewhere, thinking the program has failed, and as explained in the earlier thread, they may find some new tricks or gimmicks to use, that, in the end, will work only if they end up in helping them to eat less calories. There is no magic.

They could have also just done a very honest and thorough appraisal of the guidelines and principles of the MWL program and calorie density and their understanding and adherence to them.

Then, make the recommended adjustments as needed.

Remember, the program always works because it is based on sound science and the laws of physics.

Cheers to sound science and the laws of physics! I wish you all an instructive, enriching and health-supporting week to come! Take care and be kind to yourself and all those you meet. :)
Last edited by Mark Cooper on Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Cooper

Postby Aprincess » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:14 pm

JeffN wrote:
Butterfly043 wrote:Jeff,

I was wondering if you had considered creating an actual placemat sized Healthy Eating Placemat to sell that we can actually use as a constant reminder? I personally think it would be helpful, plus we could always use them as gifts to give to our friends who are trying to transition.

Yes. I actually have one that was made as a prototype and am working with a designer as we speak to have it make placemat size and laminated. As soon as it is done, I will announce it in these forums first.

In Health
Jeff

Awesome! Can’t wait!
~ Amy ~ :) :-) :-D :D
Aprincess

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:22 pm

Hi MWL'ers!! :-D

Mark - So sorry that I am tardy in reporting... :oops:

This Friday scale says weight is down 1.6 lbs.

Start weight - 146.4
Last week - 141.8
This week - 140.2

I have the MWL checklist points down (in my sleep) on no animal food and don't starve and don't stuff. I wish that I could get all of the other points embedded as habits. I intend to just keep practicing. (Time & adherence??)

Had my first off-MWL food this week - which got into the area of high calorie density. I had a serious craving for salty / crunchy on Thursday and celery wasn't going to cut it. I had 1/2 c. (before popping) of air popped popcorn - so would be regular McD ok, but not for when trying to get weight to the right point.

Will also continue to work on doing better at incorporating regular exercise into day. I have been great at doing stairs or walk breaks at work multiple times during the day. I walked with a friend a couple of times for 30 minutes. It will get easier when it isn't so darn cold outside.

Also, will continue to work to keep to 50 / 50 veg / starch meals. I did have a couple of meals this week that were rather starch heavy.

Keeping all of the group members who are experiencing challenging circumstances in my thoughts and prayers.

Best,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby Mark Cooper » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:22 am

Stephanie - No worries! I've added your report to the summary. Adherence + Time is definitely the formula to transition those conscious behaviors into habits. Way to go finding a way to fit some physical activity into your workday! Best to you!
Mark Cooper

Postby moonlight » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:03 am

Mark Cooper wrote:moonlight - You certainly have to decide what seems best (and most motivating) for you under your current circumstances. It seems like you have a thorough assessment of where your efforts are breaking down, so now it may be a matter of finding a sufficient "why" to provide motivation. Being tired and stressed, we all definitely start to become more vulnerable to the multitude of environmental pressures and stimuli pushing us away from our best behaviors. I also imagine dealing with your dog's illness feels really debilitating, I feel for you. Please don't feel like you are a whiner or a failure, and I would encourage you NOT to stop posting. Try to be gentle with yourself, as guilt is rarely a motivating feeling. The principles of practicing this way of eating are simple, but they are not EASY. Each year giant corporations are spending untold dollars to make the calorie rich processed foods they peddle more and more hyperpalatable and intrusive, so there are definitely forces working against us. You recognize that right now, you are back in the pleasure trap, so make your preparations for getting back on track, take a moment to forgive yourself, and make your very next decision the best one you can make.

Thank you, Mark, for your encouraging words. Looking back I had a bad week of poor decisions. I've readjusted my attitude and I'm ready to get back on my plan. :D My focus this week will be on eating only MWL plan approved food and getting my exercise started back. I'm planning to watch some documentaries on why it's good to drop animal products out of my diet. I think I need that reminder for the "why" motivation.
moonlight

Postby Aprincess » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:41 pm

Mark, you are so good at this. Your posts are always positive, encouraging and very informative. Thank you so much for all you do!
Aprincess

Postby wildgoose » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:51 pm

moonlight wrote:Looking back I had a bad week of poor decisions. I've readjusted my attitude and I'm ready to get back on my plan. :D My focus this week will be on eating only MWL plan approved food and getting my exercise started back. I'm planning to watch some documentaries on why it's good to drop animal products out of my diet. I think I need that reminder for the "why" motivation.

moonlight, Mark has given you some great feedback, and I think you’re on the right track. I would only say this. Remember that willpower is a limited resource. Sometimes it’s better to come back from a tough week with a gentle goal. If you can do both food and exercise, that’s wonderful. But if you’re at all shaky at any point during the week, remember Dr. McDougall's motto: "It's the Food." Exercise is good, but the food is paramount. Get that part right, and everything else will follow.

Watching motivating video is also an excellent idea.

Good luck, and I’m so glad you kept posting!

Goose
My story: MWL works!
How I determined my "goal weight"
wildgoose

Postby JaBee » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:27 pm

Challenge last week - didn’t feel satiated so consumed more starches ‘Quina’ and felt good.
I ate about 75% starches and 25% veggies, hope to resume 50/50 this week.
JaBee

Postby Drew* » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:45 pm

Thank you Mark for the encouraging words. On the bright side, the time with my wife this weekend has been great. And I've managed to make some "fried" rice. It is veggies and rice with no oil. My wife and I had pasta this evening, which was fairly compliant. It was good. Tomorrow, I'll have cooked 7-grain cereal with some fruit. And lunch will be the "fried" rice with a salad. And after going to yoga class, we will go to a restaurant before I head out the next day to my parent's home to be there because of the situation with my 88-year-old dad who is blind due to diabetes and with a whole host of medical conditions and a mother who has some anxiety. I do work as well..., but will find time to make another big mix of "fried" rice or quinoa, longevity soup, or the standard five ingredient recipe by Jeff. I've also got some of Dr. McDougall's noodle cups, black beans, and beans and rice. There should be plenty of food without the need to purchase anything to “celebrate.” And there is a YMCA somewhat near their home. But next time I want to deviate to "celebrate" maybe the recipes in "The Healthiest Diet on the Planet" will be the ticket. They are fairly close to MWL. And they seem better than some of the sugar, oil, flour processed concoctions that one could find at any grocery store. Thank you for the tips and positive feedback!
Drew*

Postby Aprincess » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:44 am

Ok, so for the last 4-5 days, the scale keeps going down. It’s not hard to figure out why. It’s because I’ve been compliant to the MWL way of eating. So, why is it that I can’t keep that knowledge front and center in my mind all the time? I’ve done this so many times. I watch the scale gradually go down close to 200. Sometimes, it even gets down to 199 point something. But, I kid you not, that only lasts a day. It’s some sort of mental block that I need to get past if I’m ever going to truly get to a healthy weight. I’m feeling determined. :unibrow:
Aprincess

Postby moonlight » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:13 am

wildgoose wrote:
moonlight wrote:Looking back I had a bad week of poor decisions. I've readjusted my attitude and I'm ready to get back on my plan. :D My focus this week will be on eating only MWL plan approved food and getting my exercise started back. I'm planning to watch some documentaries on why it's good to drop animal products out of my diet. I think I need that reminder for the "why" motivation.

moonlight, Mark has given you some great feedback, and I think you’re on the right track. I would only say this. Remember that willpower is a limited resource. Sometimes it’s better to come back from a tough week with a gentle goal. If you can do both food and exercise, that’s wonderful. But if you’re at all shaky at any point during the week, remember Dr. McDougall's motto: "It's the Food." Exercise is good, but the food is paramount. Get that part right, and everything else will follow.

Watching motivating video is also an excellent idea.

Good luck, and I’m so glad you kept posting!

Goose

Thank you, Goose, for your encouraging words and attitude. You made a good to point for the primary focus to be on the food. I feel the same. Yesterday was good food wise. I feel a cold coming on so I didn't exercise anyway. I watched Cowspiracy on Netflix. It's a documentary on how animal agriculture is impacting our environment. While it didn't focus on health, it gave me plenty of renewed energy and motivation to stick to my intentions and the principles of this WOE.

Amy, I hope you have a compliant day today, too!
moonlight

Postby chaz01 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:54 am

I think you can make a hot breakfast cereal out of just about any grain. I've been experimenting with different grains including amaranth (nutty flavor, texture is a bit gritty), teff (African grain,earthy flavor), and buckwheat (I actually had a slight allergic reaction to this one, so I have been avoiding buckwheat, but it's very good). I'm hoping to try other grains as well like farro, millet, and wheat berries.
chaz01

Postby chaz01 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:11 am

In my weekly weigh-in, I mentioned how my salad prepping in advance is helping me save time during the week and allowing me to enjoy more salads. I tried to post a picture, but couldn't figure out how to do it, but thanks Mark for assistance...

ImageIMG_0072 by Chuck Sedlacko, on Flickr

Chuck
chaz01

Postby frowsyowl » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:56 pm

Jennifer - Kudos! What worked for you this week in finding time to get some exercise? It is great that you are pleased with your adherence to the MWL plan, consistently enacting the behaviors over time and under a variety of circumstances ought to build up your "trust" that it will work for you.

Hi, I think what worked was being more flexible about all aspects of the choice except what duration, and that I would do it. When you asked your original questions this month, I let myself choose from three probable times of day and didn't worry about anything else.

Once I had some positive momentum going, it was easier to do the next day, and to add variety.
frowsyowl

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program